+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RANT: Read Some Comics, You Japanophiles!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

RANT: Read Some Comics, You Japanophiles!

I have amassed a rather large and dedicated social network of fellow-dorks who, like myself, were raised more or less by our local comic shops. We traded MAGIC cards, fought over what comic characters were strong and we blew all of our allowance on whatever old VIZ manga volumes were lying around rounding out the price with some Gaiman or Vasquez.

We can geek out in ANIMATE perfectly happily and have been fans longer than some of you have been alive... but we can still spend 6 hours talking about nothing but X-men.

We're all in our mid-late 20s, we've all now got jobs in Japan or the anime industry, and I think we're pretty much "grown up".

Our generation, as a whole, seems to have fond memories of ALL animation... not just anime. And most of us seem to have at least a few American or European comics we like just as well as any manga.

... so why are we getting so much **** from the whipper-snappers?!

You know who you are. You think all comics are "ugly" and "stupid" (though you've never actually read any). You complain that shows "aren't really anime" and so they're inherently not as good. You will complain for HOURS if someone shows up at an anime convention in a super hero, Star Wars or AVATAR costume. You think all comics are about super heroes wearing spandex and reciting speeches about justice and the American way before trouncing villains named "The Penguin" or "The Otter" or "The Hyphen". You think people copying anime/manga style is lame but you admit to never intending to try anything if it isn't in that style (and don't think we haven't seen your fanart, sweetheart).

Worst of all, you give people like us crap whenever we rec you something that isn't Japanese, in spite of never, ever going out on a limb to try it!

Disney movies are auto-crap.
    American animation is auto-lame.
    Comics are auto-garbage.
    Books have too many words.
    Table-top games are for people without video game consoles.

Anime is auto-awesome.
    Manga is auto-fabulous.
    Japanese rpgs are amazing simply by virtue of being Japanese.

You fellate Japan constantly while choosing to completely ignore that Japan got it's start copying the Western comic and animation legacy.

I've had it!

Show some respect for your elders!! Both the elder mediums (comics, animation, novels, tabletop games) and your elder fanboys and girls who love those mediums

By rolling your eyes at us and throwing a fit whenever we extole the virtues of something that wasn't created by someone Japanese, you're missing out on a lot of very different, but very good media. Limiting yourself to your own personal comfort zone is great for a while... but it's only a matter of time until you've dug yourself into a hole where everything's the same and none of it excites you. That's your loss. It limits you and what conversations you can join... what you know about the history of the medium... your perspective.

So don't take it out on us.

The next time your friend recs you a comic, a cartoon or a book. Shut up about how anime and manga is the only thing worth a &^%# long enough to hear them out. And when they're done, maybe give it a try.

Lord knows there's plenty of crap out there making money just because it's Japanese, not because it's good.

ENDRANT

Have a nice day

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: RANT: Read Some Comics, You Japanophiles!

Err, Tsurara... Did something... happen?

Prejudice is everywhere and is a much broader subject than entertainment alone. So called 'elitists' and 'purists' are everywhere and their ability to spread nonsense has vastly increased with the popularity of the internet.
    The thing is, you clearly seem to identify yourself with a certain subgroup and those happen to be a breeding ground for those kinds of people.
    And where did that "so don't take it out on us" come from? Did something happen?

Lastly, what's with all this 'elders' crap? Are you already becoming weary that the new generation is pushing you guys away? I mean shit, you're still in the peak of your life or not even there yet. Talking like this will make LenMiyata depressed for sure.

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it about me? All I did was to create a thread about some of the boring perspectives in anime themes (>~O~)> I hope it wasn't me ... !

So anyway, did something happen? To be honest, I see no faults with anime and manga styles, let the dogs bark. You know, Like Hassun said - the so called 'elitists' and 'purists' are everywhere. But don't you think that the huge number of anime and manga fans, such as myself, can easily outnumber them?
    Seriously, I don't think that anyone would want to hear critisism on 'comics' by a try-hard teeneager or a 40-year old virgin.

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Damn man, if you were Adam from Mythbusters, I'd recommend you go eat a cookie...

Mind you, I do know what your talking about. I'm mid/late 20s myself, & I have fond memories of watching weekend morning cartoons. I've still got a few of my old comic books around (somewhere...), as well as some Manga. Many cool things have come out of the other countries of this little planet of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Disney movies are auto-crap.
    ..until proven good . There are a few good ones, but they do pump out a lot of kiddy stuff, which I end up watching while babysitting...
    American animation is auto-lame.
    Not necessarily. "I am the feet, that stamp out crime. I am the rope, that trips up your plans. I, am Darkwing Duck!" that show was funny as hell, plus for some reason he kept that always-crashing pilot Launchpad McQuack around.
    Comics are auto-garbage.
    If it wasn't for comic books, there wouldn't be cartoons. Without cartoons, there'd be not Anime from what I can tell.
    Books have too many words.
    Words are good for you, helps keep your thinking muscle working. Too many don't train that one often enough. Still, it's fun confusing them...
    Table-top games are for people without video game consoles.
    I do both. Consoles I find great for random gameplay, while Table top models give me a vent for a good chunk of my creative need to chop & change things.

Anime is auto-awesome.
    I've noticed a few that loose my attention rather quickly. Just because it's Japanese, doesn't automatically mean it has a good storyline or characters.
    Manga is auto-fabulous.
    same thing as the Anime.
    Japanese rpgs are amazing simply by virtue of being Japanese.
    Hu? I'd say that one comes down to who's playing & who's in charge. If they do it well, then it gets better.

I know there are people who want nothing do do with stuff that isn't Japanese, but I'd personally say Japan's just one little Island (Australia's much bigger:P1:!), there's a lot more to this rock we call home. Might be an idea to learn about it, you might be surprised with what you find...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone wrote a rant about American media being garbage, the West "copying" the Japanese and (I **** you not) Asians being superior artists and writers inherently on a forum I'm part of. This happened the same day I recced some comics to some younger members of my scanlation group to have them tell me "it's ugly", "I can't stand the art", and "It's really not my style". When asked what their style was: "uh... manga." (Though the same thing seems to happen when I rec anyone under the age of 20 anything that doesn't have boys kissing, gigantic eyes, teams of ninjas or talking animal sidekicks)

There was even a bit of insinuation that we were somehow lesser fans by having interests outside of Japan... and I am really, truly tired of arguing with people that "anime" and "manga" aren't genres: they're mediums.

This was originally my reply at that forum.... just pasted it here too.

Oh, and Hassun: you know that to most teenagers, anyone over the age of 18 is "old" and that differentiation beyond "old" is pointless :P
    Last edited by tsurara; Mar 09, 2008 at 02:07 PM.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Someone wrote a rant about American media being garbage, the West "copying" the Japanese and (I **** you not) Asians being superior artists and writers inherently on a forum I'm part of. This happened the same day I recced some comics to some younger members of my scanlation group to have them tell me "it's ugly", "I can't stand the art", and "It's really not my style". When asked what their style was: "uh... manga." (Though the same thing seems to happen when I rec anyone under the age of 20 anything that doesn't have boys kissing, gigantic eyes, teams of ninjas or talking animal sidekicks)

There was even a bit of insinuation that we were somehow lesser fans by having interests outside of Japan... and I am really, truly tired of arguing with people that "anime" and "manga" aren't genres: they're mediums.

Oh, and Hassun: you know that to most teenagers, anyone over the age of 18 is "old" and that differentiation beyond "old" is pointless :P
    That person on the forum you're part of is obviously a moron.
    That being said, pubescent teens want to against what their elders say. It's to be expected.

Otaku FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral's Avatar
    Thanks

Tsurara may I have a link to that rant? I'd like to check out what all was said.
    --//Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained\\--

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

If I understand my history correctly, Japanese anime and manga found their origins in American animation and comic books. What ever happened ta "Don' hack it 'til u try it?" Over half of those ppl who act that way probably never picked up a comic book in their lives nor sat down and actually watch any animation from America. I still have many of my old Spider-man, X-Men, Superman, and other comics; I feel that they r timeless. Maybe they're jus' too young ta truly appreciate these types of genre and their history. I think that it's sad really.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast