+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RANT: Read Some Comics, You Japanophiles!

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: RANT: Read Some Comics, You Japanophiles!

Yeah you get a lot of those here in my area. I've been in a con where western fans and eastern fans fought because they close-mindedly hated each other.

Anyway, those who bash and stereotype american comics as just muscular people in tights fighting for american ideals clearly doesn't care or know what comics has been about since the 70s. Those uber-nationalistic stuff that comics presented was at their peak during the golden and silver age of comics...and it wasn't a bad thing. I mean, it was the 40s-60s, it was the time of WWII, post-WWII, Vietnam War and other stuff, nationalism was very much needed at that time. Those kinds of comics are simulacrums of current issues back in the day. They can complain all they want and believe their dogma that comics is auto-lame but they're missing out on what present comics is all about...Nowadays, a person must have at least a good level of understanding to understand and comprehend with comics at all. It isn't just about beating villains and posing proudly anymore...Think Vertigo, think Wildstorm, think Civil War, think DC, Marvel, Image, etc. in general...

American cartoons are just as good as anime IMO. More lighthearted, easily comprehendable, and easily enjoyable. Might lack intensity, might lack panty shots and peek-a-BOOBs(sorry), and might not have a character named Goku or Gohan, but hey, we have Homer and Bart...

Maybe it's just globalization doin' its thing....

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FallenSpiral View Post
    How odd for someone to speak like you have stated... and be APPROVED to be in a group like that... that's crazy...
    Your going to have to go into a little more detail there, because I'm just a little confused as to what you're trying to get at.

NEwho, moving on.

I agree with everything that Tsu said in the OP, Its almost dumbfounding with how closed minded people can get when it comes to the things they watch/read/listen ect to entertain them, no matter what it is.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Though I fit the description of a "Japanophile" that Tsurara mentioned, I have never forgotten my "roots" of dorkiness.

For as long as I can remember, I've always collected Marvel trading cards, my dad's old army buddy used to hook me up with all his duplicates and old comic books. I'd say he's the reason I love comics/manga so much! All of the friends I've had since childhood have all been in to Marvel/DC comics just as I have been. We'd debate who would kick who's asses; like Superman vs. Spiderman and such. My entire junior high experience was nothing but talk of X-Men and Wolverine losing his adamantium skeleton to Magneto's powers! (Sounds painful, looks more painful in the comic!) ...Here I go rambling...

My point is that granted I take in more anime/manga now than I did back then, I still read the occasional comic book from Marvel/DC, I still think Batman is the ultimate superhero, bested only by Spiderman, super heroes in spandex is not played out and that Captian America shouldn't have been assasinated.

Disney has always auto-sucked for me--with the exception of a couple/few animated movies--and only a small amount of other western/American animation can really have a true spot on my sh*t list. I love everything else though. If it's art, I'm in to it, basically. It DOES bother me that kids these days can't appreciate the super heroes that have been in print since I was in diapers, yet they can go and watch the Hollywood murder of all our favorite icons (Face it, X-3 sucked!). If it's animated, appreciate it, if it's in print, learn to love it. Expand your horizons! Asians aren't the only great artists out there.

Best tribute to comic book super heroes to date is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, by the way. I had to throw that out there.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been into comics AND anime for about the same amount of time. I saw Mobile Suit Gundam when I was really little... But I didn't know what it was... But I was ALWAYS a lover of comics and Disney - I grew up with it!
    My mom collected Spider Man comics when she was younger, and she passed them onto me... And I was hooked!

I had thousands of comics... As I got older I discovered the more adult series (my favorite being Hellblazer)... And I also fully discovered anime/manga.

I don't knock anything until I read/see it... Japanese or American. I judge things based on my own personal tastes!!

*I miss my comics - I lost my collection due to theft and fire in my house... I moved out, but my family held onto some of my stuff... While cleaning out the storage area, they left out some stuff... And our house got robbed... They took the bins that held my comics, thinking it was something else... And then when they discovered it was comics... FIRE. They burned them. (T_T) *cries*

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't expect a conversation about Marvel Civil War or how Captain America went out like a punk from these guys. But keep your dislike to yourself even if it's unwarranted.
    Also I've spent so much time playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, and Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 and 2 I could cure cancer if my time was better spent.

Otaku Grimm Akumu is off to a good start
    Outer Heaven,in Zanzibar Land, around the corner from Shadow Moses Island right beside the Big Shell
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    I don't expect a conversation about Marvel Civil War or how Captain America went out like a punk from these guys. But keep your dislike to yourself even if it's unwarranted.
    Also I've spent so much time playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, and Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 and 2 I could cure cancer if my time was better spent.
    those games u mentioned ruled btw, best fighting games ever played i say but thas not the point here

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm Akumu View Post
    those games u mentioned ruled btw, best fighting games ever played i say but thas not the point here
    the Japanese think these characters are so cool they made award winning fighting games from them so yeah it does prove my point.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL!!! I once told someone almost the same thing about Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2.

the Japanese think these characters are so cool they made award winning fighting games from them so yeah it does prove my point.
    That is one of the points I was trying to drive home (in a subtle way). Our art and comics have to be just as good as Japan's. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made such a kick ass game that it costs $70 USED at GameStop!!! Yes, seventy bucks!!! I just seen a used version yesterday. No case, no instruction manual and it's probably scratched up a bit... SEVENTY DOLLARS!!

I think anything that's seventy bucks used after a half a decade of existence qualifies as Western comics doin' a damn good job!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast