+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rockin' the Suburbs!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Rockin' the Suburbs!

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I decided to take a walk. After about ten minutes of walking in silence, I hear--what I thought was--gunshots! I was like, "Yes! Some excitement!!" Come to find out, it was kids and fireworks... Ugh...
    I wanted to respond to this... No one besides you and Chanti would probably get it anyway.

I find it a bit disturbing that you longed for the "excitement" of gunshots. I mean imagine how it feels being the one getting shot at (as many times as you've been robbed over north, it shouldn't be that hard). And I know you've seen how ****ed up it is to lose someone to violence.... I just don't think you should glamorize it.

Anyhow, as far as transitioning is concerned. I made that leap as well. And at first I kinda missed the hood too. Having to swap the sound of loud bass music, and wailing sirens for chirping crickets... it was weird... those urban noises used to rock me to sleep.

But, now the only things I miss about the Northside... Is that I cant find a piece of ghetto fried chicken ANYWHERE in Fridley. Remember Spur and Amstar? You could even get greens at Amstar. Theres nothing like that in the burbs. I also miss knowing the community. I dont know my neighbors here in Fridley (thats sad, because I live in an apartment complex!). But where I grew up over North.... I knew sooo many of my neighbors. On the weekends in the summertime, It would be like one big huge pot luck neighborhood barbecue. Everyone would be out side. Kids played 2 hand touch football in the street. I would bring my boom box out side and sit on my stoop. Deanna would braid my hair. And we could just sit out in the open and smoke! ...
    Infact we'd even get the frequent visit from the neighborhood scavenger smoker! Ha!... Good times.

But its not even like that over there anymore. Most the time I get a chance to go past my old hood... I just feel sad. Nobody is outside anymore, unless they're going from one place to another. Unless they're waiting for the bus. Unless they're selling drugs, or hustlin DVD's. No one cares about their homes or their neighbors homes anymore. All you see is boards, broken glass, and uncut lawns with weeds everywhere.

Maybe where you were just staying at over north... it wasn't that bad. But. that wasn't even the hood hood. That was like the outskirts of the hood.
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Jun 01, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I'm glad there's a park near where I live. I can play frisbee golf there (which I find lots of people here enjoy). Not too many people in Minneapolis--or Brooklyn Park, for that matter--play frisbee golf. I love it. And the old people here are real nice!!! I'm actually starting to adjust here, I think. Although, I still feel pretty out of place.

It's quiet, like, ALL the time! I'm not used to that. And I keep thinkin' the cops are gonna start messin' with me when I happen to cross paths with one. Only cuz it happened in BP. I was almost arrested under false pretenses, so when I'm walkin' through the streets here--which, by the way is a MUCH nicer suburb--and see a cop, I kinda get worried.

"You fit the description," is all I hear when I see those guys. Ugh...
    "oh so just cause im black that means i'm automatically raped a white woman?"-one of my dad's coworkers

lol, its like when i tell folks i have tourettes and they ask me what curses i blurt out XD

but i feel you with the burbs. the most excitement we get here is a local kid making a home made bomb and planting it in a mailbox (happened right across the street)

i wish i had those nice old people. the ones here hate my guts XD
    Why hello there!

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDeath90 View Post
    I suppose that's what homemade bombs and other pranks are for. Just don't maim or kill anyone, 'kay?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    never moved to the suburbs, but i would notice the difference when i'd go over to friend's houses and stuff like that...

it's nice and pretty and all, but it doesn't feel real. you don't feel any real connection with different kinds of people, it's like a bubble that no one wants to pop (but i guess that's the point). i'd never really want to live in the suburbs, it's nice to visit and shop, but not to live...

^_^ i do like their parks though~
    It's kinda like a Stepford neighborhood here, LOL. The people seem automated at times, and the trees are just WAY too green!

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    I wanted to respond to this... No one besides you and Chanti would probably get it anyway.

I find it a bit disturbing that you longed for the "excitement" of gunshots.
    I mean imagine how it feels being the one getting shot at (as many times as you've been robbed over north, it shouldn't be that hard). And I know you've seen how ****ed up it is to lose someone to violence.... I just don't think you should glamorize it.
    Dude, I was like seventeen and I was a BAD ass kid when I lived in Maplewood!! In July, that'll have been ten years ago! It was right before my eighteenth b-day. I even owned and sold two guns at one point in time in those days (not to brag or anything; I promise I'm makin' a point here). Back then, it was cool. I'm grown now and I know how bad sh*t is out there and I would NEVER encourage that type of behavior. I know the consequences and I've had friends suffer those consequences on my behalf before. I don't glamorize or long for sh*t but ramen noodles and anime... and cigarettes... LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by peach_follows
    Anyhow, as far as transitioning is concerned. I made that leap as well. And at first I kinda missed the hood too. Having to swap the sound of loud bass music, and wailing sirens for chirping crickets... it was weird... those urban noises used to rock me to sleep.

But, now the only things I miss about the Northside... Is that I cant find a piece of ghetto fried chicken ANYWHERE in Fridley. Remember Spur and Amstar? You could even get greens at Amstar. Theres nothing like that in the burbs. I also miss knowing the community. I dont know my neighbors here in Fridley (thats sad, because I live in an apartment complex!). But where I grew up over North.... I knew sooo many of my neighbors. On the weekends in the summertime, It would be like one big huge pot luck neighborhood barbecue. Everyone would be out side. Kids played 2 hand touch football in the street. I would bring my boom box out side and sit on my stoop. Deanna would braid my hair. And we could just sit out in the open and smoke! ...
    Infact we'd even get the frequent visit from the neighborhood scavenger smoker! Ha!... Good times.

But its not even like that over there anymore. Most the time I get a chance to go past my old hood... I just feel sad. Nobody is outside anymore, unless they're going from one place to another. Unless they're waiting for the bus. Unless they're selling drugs, or hustlin DVD's. No one cares about their homes or their neighbors homes anymore. All you see is boards, broken glass, and uncut lawns with weeds everywhere.

Maybe where you were just staying at over north... it wasn't that bad. But. that wasn't even the hood hood. That was like the outskirts of the hood.
    I try to visit the North Side as often as I can. Like you said, there's food there that you can't get here. BUT, I've been eyeballin' a few of these resturaunts out here lately. ^_^ But I can't just stroll all around the hood like I used to. People mess with me cuz I'm funny colored. (LOL) So, I only go to areas I think are "safe". My mom's crib and the Theo Wirth area are cool, Rob's neck of the woods is so-so, Bratling's dad's neighborhood I would love to live in. It's like in the North Side, but near a suburb, so it's cool. Uptown wouldn't be too bad either. Lots of art in that neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDeath90 View Post
    "oh so just cause im black that means i'm automatically raped a white woman?"-one of my dad's coworkers

lol, its like when i tell folks i have tourettes and they ask me what curses i blurt out XD

but i feel you with the burbs. the most excitement we get here is a local kid making a home made bomb and planting it in a mailbox (happened right across the street)

Dude, I mean it's dead outside most days here. There's cars drivin' by, but that's about it. Everyone stays in their yard or in the park. It's a pretty close knit neighborhood. Which makes me think that they don't like outsiders, LOL. *humor*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2