+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Senior Year

Newbie FinalXepher is off to a good start FinalXepher's Avatar
    Thanks

Senior Year

I'm in my senior year in high school right now. Almost done with high school (woo!) but its incredibly stressful. I go to a private school in in Virginia that is considered on of the best in the state and carries itself with with prestige.

We have a couple unique obligations as seniors however. One is our senior project which is necessary to graduate. It needs to be big project that requires more than 50 hours of work (or something like that). I have started mine so I'm okay with that.

Then there are senior exemptions from exams. If we follow this complicated formula where, simply, if we get above a 83 average between all our classes without one of our classes having below a 77, we get exempt from all exams.

Add all this on to the crazy amount off work we already get and we have many stressed out seniors with some who haven't even started their senior project yet (which is due April 11th).

That my senior year but in general I really enjoy my school and also my senior year. There are a lot of "lasts" which is sad but I got accepted to the college I wanted to go to and I'm pretty pumped to go there.

To the question: if you are a senior, how is your year going and are you as stressed as my class is? If you have a senior project do believe it is necessary? Also what are your expectations for the future? If you were a senior, put the question past tense and if you are going to be a senior, put it in future tense and add your expectation for senior year if you want.

If this world is hell,
    then God is nicer than everyone thinks

Newbie bluewolf is off to a good start bluewolf's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Senior Year

Personally I loved my senior project with every ounce of my heart (mine was over learning how to use photoshop), however I don't think it should have been necessary. I think it was a great thing to have the students learn something new that they probably wouldn't however personally I think somethings that are being graded during the project are overboard (for example 3 of my classmates did theirs over trying to raise money and just by being off slightly they almost got a lower grade than they deserved).
    I suppose Santa Claus doesn't go around delivering semi-automatics, extra mags, and cans of tear gas.

Newbie FinalXepher is off to a good start FinalXepher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
    Personally I loved my senior project with every ounce of my heart (mine was over learning how to use photoshop), however I don't think it should have been necessary. I think it was a great thing to have the students learn something new that they probably wouldn't however personally I think somethings that are being graded during the project are overboard (for example 3 of my classmates did theirs over trying to raise money and just by being off slightly they almost got a lower grade than they deserved).
    that sounds like a fun senior project. as for me, i found some ancient shells in the woods behind my house and i doing mine on them. it wasn't my idea at first but when i found them, i just had to do it. plus, it goes well with our theme "discovery." after watching someone present their project today, i feel A LOT less stressed about it. whew

while i believe that the senior project is a great way to explore different ideas and interests, it adds too much stress to an already stressful year. college apps, homework, sports, etc. it always seems like you have no downtime because the senior project kinda sits in the back of your mind, adding an edge of anxiety to what should be a relaxing weekend or vacation. while some might really enjoy what they are doing, others might just feel forced to deal with it. and if you don't pass, you don't graduate... that's enough pressure as it is

If this world is hell,
    then God is nicer than everyone thinks

Newbie bluewolf is off to a good start bluewolf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FinalXepher View Post
    that sounds like a fun senior project. as for me, i found some ancient shells in the woods behind my house and i doing mine on them. it wasn't my idea at first but when i found them, i just had to do it. plus, it goes well with our theme "discovery." after watching someone present their project today, i feel A LOT less stressed about it. whew

while i believe that the senior project is a great way to explore different ideas and interests, it adds too much stress to an already stressful year. college apps, homework, sports, etc. it always seems like you have no downtime because the senior project kinda sits in the back of your mind, adding an edge of anxiety to what should be a relaxing weekend or vacation. while some might really enjoy what they are doing, others might just feel forced to deal with it. and if you don't pass, you don't graduate... that's enough pressure as it is
    Good! It's really not something you should worry about. Whatever will happen will happen. I think your project sounds more awesome than a opossum . I agree it adds on too much stress however it's something you need to so might as well do it.
    I suppose Santa Claus doesn't go around delivering semi-automatics, extra mags, and cans of tear gas.

Newbie Moose is off to a good start Moose's Avatar
    Thanks

My senior year is next year, Im so exited! :P Cant wait to go to prom in my ducttape tux.

Death is as generation is, a composition of like elements, and a decompostion into the same.

Newbie missbad818 is off to a good start missbad818's Avatar
    Thanks

i am a senior at the moment. i would have to say my main stress is just finding a college that i like and finding scholarships to pay for college. my grades are good so i don't have to worry about failing plus i only really have two classes and there isn't much studying need for them.i go to public school in the country so there is no senior project and the only thing that's really neccessary for me to pass all my classes with at least a D average but im an A, B person myself. As for future plans after i get my masters degree i plan to becoem an elementary school teacher ( i want to teach english and social studies or science and social studies) for a while then become an elementary school librarian.
    Hard work never killed anybody but why try it.

+ Reply to Thread