Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick of hearing about God

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Sick of hearing about God

Ugh... for all the Star Trek fans out there, though, there is one quote which I think sums up my feelings about this issue at this point.

"What does God want with a starship?"

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, there is actually a really simple answer to that but it's a little off subject.

Either way you have my pity, both of you. Relationships are hard enough without the communication difficulties inherant in two completely seperate belief structures.

I had no idea that Oregon Institutions were so theological or is it just the students? What are the faculty like?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm actually going to a small state university (by small, I mean 5,000 students in total), and the majority of them are from very small, very rural towns. However, even when I went to a couple large scale universities (we're talking 18,000-20,000 students), the Christians still held the majority. Even the worst sinning, partying frat boys and the girls they banged on the weekend just for kicks were hard core believers.
    I think thats just because this country is mostly christian. How did you know those partying frat boys and the girls were hard core believers. Did you ask them about religion or did they just display the attitude? Also in regards to the ones giving you trouble for being an athiest. Did you go around and parade the fact your an athiest? Some chrisitians dont like that. Its like your diss'in their faith. You may be sick of hearing about god, but to some it gives them comfort, and they like to spread that idea. Though they should never force it on any one.

some Jedi too
    Hahah, thats a religion??

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

yeah that is probably why in the UK, there isn't that many people who talk profoundly about their religion because there is more atheists here now i think...and some Jedi too..lol
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dude101 View Post
    but to me over there it seems like nobody really respects other ppl religon, and beliefs and i mean come on even if u christen u can be a freaking scum bag, and a completely lowlife like some of those television preachers.
    Some times I get the same impression, which I hope isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by dude101 View Post
    and there is only one religon i follow, and that is the highly well respected and all mighty aussie religon. where 24/7 and 52 days a yr u must be lazy, layed back, and enjoy ur beer . but in all seriousness, i really not sure what religon i'm surposed to be, something about new england or something like that.
    Don't you just love australia? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    But now, I'm trying a relationship with a girl from the Pentecostal sect, and ugh... it's just a nightmare. She apparently has no problem with my beliefs, but she keeps claiming God does, and that she can't be with someone who doesn't know the Truth (gotta love how Christians like to capitalize words when they're supposed to be significant, right?).

Why can't she just come out and say that she has a problem with it herself, and not hide behind the expectations of her God?
    I don't understand why she feels that she can't be with you just because you don't know the "truth". I'm no true christian, but if god loves all he won't care that you believe something else, and he won't mind that she is in a relationship with you.

Their are some things I don't like about religion - mainly christians and I by no means intending to offend everyone.

Politics and Religion - imo religion should stay seperate and should not be including in policy making

also when some christians don't think a book is good or preaches evil ( eg. Harry Potter). They go on TV and say it should be banned from schools.

Just because they believe it does, doesn't mean everyone does.

I know not all christians are like that!

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Well, there is actually a really simple answer to that but it's a little off subject.

Either way you have my pity, both of you. Relationships are hard enough without the communication difficulties inherant in two completely seperate belief structures.

I had no idea that Oregon Institutions were so theological or is it just the students? What are the faculty like?
    I appreciate the consideration, but at this point, I'm strongly reevaluating my choice of getting into a relationship with her. I want to be with someone who isn't going to expect me to change, or will marry me on the false hope that somewhere down the line I will simply convert to satisfy her.

I've also had quite a few people tell me that I should simply fake a Christian faith to be accepted, or convert regardless of my opinions because as the man, I'm supposed to sacrifice everything, including my integrity, to make the one I love happy.

Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away? A person is supposed to love you for who you are, and that includes your faith, or lack thereof. As an individual with the freedoms granted to me, I shouldn't have to change EVER to make someone else happy, even if it is for love. To change who I am for that person is to deny myself, and isn't that considered a sin as well? Also, if I change myself, I am no longer the person that individual fell in love with. Finally, isn't changing who you are to fit in (aka, peer pressure) considered immoral by most? Why is it different for religion, or specific religions?

As for the faculty at my university, they are incompetent at best. The only exception to these rules are the math and business department professors. They at least know the material they teach, yet still fail basic competency when it comes to applying consistent administrative policies, or looking before they leap. I should also mention our faculty consists of at least one confirmed sexual predator, who we can't get rid of simply because of his tenure and the union sheltering him. So, he's gone from teaching the women-dominated division of education, to men's volleyball.

To answer Miroku4444's questions, first, I knew these frat boys and their sperm bank chicks were religious, because I often saw most of them at Bible Study (even being an atheist, my "friends" dragged me along, and I complied just simply to show them some respect). Of course, Bible Study in itself has turned into a sin-packed orgy of sexual activities now labeled "not sex" thanks to Clinton, and since they are no longer considered sex, the practitioners at Bible Study have no fear they are committing sins.

Secondly, I never take pride in being an atheist. If someone asks why I don't attend church, or if I ask a friend for advice regarding this girl I am dating, for example, then I explain to them simply that I don't believe in God. It is then that they insult me for my lack of faith. Yet these same people who insult me regularly sin, or often break existing federal, state, and local laws (like the highway speed limit, underage consumption of alcohol, or possession/use of narcotics). I find it very hard to be taken seriously as a law abiding citizen and as an honorable man when these criminals constantly harass me for following the rules they deny, and not having the belief in God that supposedly justifies those laws.

Finally, yes, leave it to a substantial minority population of the Swiss and the British to make the Jedi religion a valid one on their nations' census records.

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

You should never get into a serious relationship if problems like that are in the air. While I could care less what religion my wife in the future hails from, I would expect she do the same for me.

Many people feel they cannot get with someone who has a different view than they do on abortion, or capital punishment, or the government.

What I say to them is "What does it matter" Unless you and your wife plan on having an abortion (isn't one of the reasons to get married so you can start a family?) or committing murder, or running for office, how do these differences matter? They won't affect either of you so it's just like the two of you having different favorite colors.

Otaku rockroc may be famous one day rockroc may be famous one day rockroc's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    All I've dealt with since I arrived at college is the majority of Christians insulting me for two years straight, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, about how much of a scumbag I am (yes, they actually use the terms scumbag, dirtbag, filth, vermin, etc) for being an atheist.

I'm so sick of hearing about God, I'd gladly shoot myself in the head, or hang myself from the 3rd floor dorm catwalk, just so they couldn't whine to me about how I'm going to hell (since I would already be on the way).

At the same time, the atheists keep nagging me about how religious and anti-separation of Church and State I am for believing in the Ten Commandments, and saying "under God" in the Pledge of Alliegance. Can't these idiots get it through their puny minds that I don't believe in God, but because I'm a decent human being with a reasonable intellect, I choose to show my loyalty to my nation's Founders with the Pledge, and follow Judeo-Christian morals because they make sense?

Is there anyone else who thinks this way, or do I have to deal with a bunch of heathen-stoning Christians and pot-smoking atheists?
    I'm a Christian myself,but I don't beleive in harassing people trying to make them Christians also if they say somthing too you it should just be a warning of what could happen or try to get to know God, or as my family and Church say God will find you.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast