+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Space Colonies

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Space Colonies

Do you, the people of Anime Online, belive that earth should begin making a space colony, similar to those seen in Gundam and many other [and not limited to] anime shows? if so, would wou want to live in a colony such as these?

artificial gravity can be easily acheved by spinning the colony, and if placed in a lagrange point, they would stay in the same relitive position to the earth. the first benifit would be that it would cut down on overpopulation on the earth. this won't become a MAJOR problem until [id say] about 5 more years. but already empty space is getting filled by houses everywhere.
    another benifet would be that the colonies could be used in conjunction with smaller stations and mine minerals from nearby asteroids. this could help our dwindling resorces on earth, but again this shoudlnt be a problem for a few years.

you could say im a nerd, or a geek, but sue me for having an open mind to the future. as for myself i would wait a little while before moving out to the colonies myself, to make shure all the bugs are worked out.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Space Colonies

I'd like to see man venture more out into space. either that or down into the depths of the ocean. our population will eventualty hit a critical level that the land alone can not handle.
    mineing resources is probably how it will start, and the corprations will invent so much more than any one gov. it would end up looking like the anime "Planetes" (if you havent seen this your missing out on great Hard-sci-fi) which is fine if it facilitates progress.
    Dont forget the main asteroid fields are beyond Mars, do you think we should mine at the source or have a hunter pick and throw rocks to near earth orbit or moon orbit for prosessing? or even Mars orbit, since it looks like water was once flowing on it, that is the one key ingrediant that we really need to move out into space...it would cost way to much to have to boost water into space for reaction mass or as consumibles, and a colony will drink alot...even with 100% recycling there will be loss..and the thoughts that your drinking clean pee!?
    ok so I'm a geek too:P but Im not that brave...i would also wait to see how safe it would be...i think in the begining we are going to need a special kind of person to live
    Don't Panic

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

This topic seems VERY familiar... didn't we have one of these a few years back?

What makes me laugh is the inflatable commercial space stations they're launching... ...as great as it must be, I keep laughing at the world "inflatable"... it just reminds me of "POP!"....

... do I think we should?
    Meh... if it happens, it happens...
    I don't think we should abandon anything though, we should work on past, present, and future projects and never drop one thing over another... afterall, I'd think it'd be disrespectful to just ignore the unconvered ocean that we spent so much time investigating... not only that, but we shouldn't allow Earth to rot in Hell... we have a responsibility to keep it safe and fix it.

So, all-in-all: Go ahead, but don't forget about Earth.

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm oh its ok Ochi your not a geek your just concerned.

But yeah I have always thought it to be really cool to be able to go up into space and stuff.

Plus we would actually live longer from what I have heard.

But yeah I think it would be cool and I do agree that we will have problems soo with our dwindaling resources.
    We really need to worry about that stuff.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

if people realy did turn into Newtypes, id go in a heartbeat.

anyway, the ocean is a good idea too, but it would be as hostile as space. a tiny fracture, its all over....

inflatable space colonies? i picture a rubber raft with a bottle rocket engine

as for the asteroids, i like the idea of towing them to earth orbit. this would logically be safer for the miners, as they would be closer. when we are done mining the asteroid, we could use a cheap rocket to, perhaps, send it to the sun for disposal. and mars would be a good idea, but i would think after at least a lunar base is up and running. its a bit far.

and yes, we cannot entirely abando our mother earth.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

sry...i had to kinda cut my rant short...but i was saying we would need a special kinda person to be shoe horned into a floating sardine can for extended periods of time...

Earth first! we'll strip mine the other planets later...

as for a lunar base...we are going to need a source of water or its a no go. and we cant boost water to them..what if something goes wrong...no, the colonies will need there own native water source.

o yeah as for the asteroids..i didnt mean tow i ment toss...like shooting them back towards earth with a rail gun of some type...takes less energy and alot faster...just have to strap on retro rockets or something to slow them down once they get here...

if your interested check out a book called "Semper Mars, Luna Marine and Europa Strike" by Ian Douglas for a good ideal of near future space travel and a really neat hard sci-fi story. it offers a realisitic look at what we can make in the near future...
    Don't Panic

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

i think we should sweep our own front step before we go conquering others... [got that from a book] that applies to my opinion of Space Places...

and i think living in the ocean would be way cooler than living in space... all the fishes and the freaky fishes with the Christmas lights and dangley things...

but like i said, we could be using all that money to fix up the place we still have a mortgage on, so to speak...

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

*cough* Excuse me! I actually misread the news!

Discovery Channel :: News - Space :: Inflatable Space Station Design Tested

Apparently the inflatable space stations were TESTS to provide data for COMMERCIAL SPACE STATIONS.

... it seems that companies such as Holiday Inn want a sweet deal in getting the world's first Holiday Space Station, from the sounds of it...

Looks like we're just gonna wing it.

... I'm not sure if they'll finish this wihtin our generation, I sure hope they do, it would be really interesting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast