+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Space Colonies

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Space Colonies

The idea sounds very interesting, but before even thinking about leaving earth, NASA has to do a lot of research to improve the shuttles used for transportation. Also, they need to find a location asteroid free to colonize if they don't want to get hit by one of this mofos that might cause a mass space killing. In addition, they need to find a way to power up this colonies, they can't only rely on solar energy, perhaps, nuclear energy can help.

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

ok, first off, i think towing the asteroids may be safer, as if the retro rockets failed, wed have one of those "mofo's" [good one] going to EARTH. but a rail gun would be much faster. a mass driver on the moon would be faster to get to the asteroids.

as for power, a nuclear engine would be good. it could be completely isolated from the rest of the colony for safety reasons. but this will need water as well.....

perhaps the water problem could be solved this way; an ammount could be taken from the ocean. this could be purified for use in the colonies. to adress the dropping sea levels, some ice from the south pole could be melted to replace it. nothing lives at the south pole, so damage would be minimal. i know this isnt perfect, but...

As for oxygen, it can be hrvested from water, but i dont think this would be as much a problem as water. perhaps water could be manufactured from oxygen and Hydrogen atoms.

and currently the russians, instead of useing adstract angles and special paint to make their planes stealthy, they are attempting to wrap plasma around planes to absorb the radar. if this progresses perhaps we could use a form of this as a colonial sheild against smaller asteroids.

and i pictured the clonies being bigger than a sardine can. a large hollow cylinder, and buildings, trees and roads being built on the inside. there could, in addition to trees, oxygen scrubbers could help with the air. but electric cars would need to be used.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

lol, why cant i get the picture of a pink plastic flamingo poking outa the moon surface, right out side a habitat dome... maybe a giant plastic palm tree too...

again with the asteroid thing...i wouldnt aim the mofo At earth...more kinda like across her nose...where a miss wouldnt hurt anything for a few months...who knows we might run into it as we orbit the sun...

melting something we can never have again is a bandaid solution...short term goal with untold long term effects...you know what does have water in space? comets...they are basicly giant snow balls in space right?? gotta figure out how to catch one. Also we know of some moons around saturn that have water, like Europa is a wet world...i think the top mile or so is solid ice or seomthing wet and hard but they say it is water... and with a lower gavity we could carve out giant blocks to boost into orbit and with a booster or a rail or gravity gun of somekind launch it towards colonies to supply them with ice water...the ice cubes are free of course...

the plasma shield/ steath project is also being looked at by one of the US fighter makers...i've seen a few pics of a small scale test on the ideal of covering a plane in this plasma field...interesting...the tech neede to protect our bodys against the radiation and micro impacts let alone the ship or stations systems will be enormous, and expensive. the hilton thing looks neat, but damn if i cant afford a Virgin galactic ticket to go to the hilton space hotel...god would you imagine what the safty system needed incase something bad happens...like an E-ticket ride back to earth in a giant metal ping pong...

for energy generation the plasma donut should be finished in about 5-10 years, they just finished construction on a test unit a few years back, if they can sustain a stable plasma and keep the magnetic field up, it will self perpetuate and give off tons of power with no waste, um unfortunatly if the plasma somehow touches the casing i could blow up...big boom...as far as i know the plasma donut can only reach a power output state for a few seconds before collapsing...
    Don't Panic

Thanks

wow, i did forget about comets.. and before we actually used "ice" from moons, it would need to be thuroghly checked to be completely pure. or we may end up with a colony of zombies.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

We should be careful where we choose our watersource... sometimes getting the water is the hardest part. And even if we can get to it, how would we know this water is safe? I'm sure capturing it and experimenting with it would be nice, but that'll still take years and years from now.

But again, we have to know what hellzone we're going to be ramming into just to get the darn water...

Comets sure are a mystery... strange metals, ice, and even volcanic rock can be found on those mofos.

Gathering water is one thing, making sure it's settled and ready is a whole new level.

Thanks

yes, we need to be careful with water..
    i had an idea, perhaps it would be better to buil a colony on or inside of an asteriod. i mean, it would take too long to build a sizable colony for ppl to live in, not to mention all the materials needed to do so. plus, perhaps a solid asteroid would be stronger against impacts. explosives could be used to bore tunnels in the rock, then they could be smoothed over for building. although care would need to be taken, as not to crack the rock.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

well if ya gonna make a space colony would it be wise to put it on mars?..

i mean have a colony in open space can lead to far 2 many dangers, for one u gotta make sure its in a stable orbit. then for another if u have it on a orbit around earth some space debre might impale it. then u got space restriction for ppl, for food, waters, oxygen, ammonia build up, CO2 build up. and ya got pretty much nowhere to put this stuff, i mean the filters would get filled up in like no time if u got a lot of ppl.

but if ya look at mars, u got frozen water sources at the poles (under the crust of course). its in a orbit the closely resembles earths so there would be a greater range of extremes (like heat and cold and radiation) that u would see with other planets/moons. also i'm pretty sure that mars has a lot of minerals and stuff.

Thanks

mars is a good place, but i think it would be better off to wait until our engine technology will enable us to get there faster than a year.

also, placing a colony in a lagrange point will make it stable.Lagrangian point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast