+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sucking Up ~ Does it work?

syd
    Otaku syd is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Sucking Up ~ Does it work?

It works until certain point personally I never did it that. In high school I was the type of kid that tried to get "b's" I rarely tried my best. My Spanish teachers always give me harder work and they were tougher with my grades because they knew I already spoke Spanish and my dad is a Spanish teacher. I used to let this really cute Asian girl do my Spanish homework however when we got our papers back she always got A’s and I got B’s. Now that I think about it she really deserved those A’s because she learned the material and I just did enough to get by.

So I really do think that teachers have to acknowledge if the student has put the effort on their work even when they don’t get the right answers

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

well, as for your students, i think you did a fine job and were considerate of your students. you don't seem to be badgering your least favorites or pampering your most favorite, so i think all is in good will.

as for sucking up, yes it does work. plain and simple! i suppose i could be called a suck up... but it's more that i'm friendly to everyone, including the boss. this usually bodes well for me... but i don't leave notes or give presents or anything like that. i just do small talk with everyone, which seems to put me on even terms with them... just how i commune with people i suppose... Soshi doesn't mind becuz that's how we become preferred customers at certain stores and stuff... ^_^!

so all in all, sucking up does work, just don't be a d!ck... or the mouth on the... well, you get it!

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

the way i see it. the students that leave an impression on you whether good or bad will result in you grading them not entirely on their academic success. in other words pretty much as u said, being nice to u, when it comes to marking the grades, u will remember it, and think differently of them. then most likely grade them either slightly higher or lower than other students. its just natural.

so i guess sucking up does work, though it can goes both ways, depending on the person. which bring me to the next question do i fall for it?

now personally if i realize someone is sucking up to me. i will get irritated, to me i would rather u go and try and improve urself a bit more than try and get better result be being kind to me. i really do hate it. just someone trying to be nice to u so they can get something out of it really gets me frustrated and annoyed. so if someone was sucking up to me, and i had an influence on their marks, promotion or whatever they are trying to get out of me. it would have to opposite affect on me and i would rank them lower. just to tell them to stop sucking up, and live with it.

and do i suck up?. well if its not obvious right now, i'll just say it. so no, i don't suck up. if i did i would easily hate myself for it. i rather be judge on my abilities and know where i can improve. what i hate most is a bias opinion, grading, etc. though i do see this all so much. which mean i just gotta be even better to out class the ppl who will suck up. and in the end, the person that benefits the most out of this is... well... me...

but hey i'm lazy so i'll always be second best to those who are, in my opinion willing to see themselves out. no offense to them of course, its only natural to do whatever u can to come out in front.

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Does sucking up work?
    I don't think so. At least, I don't believe it was effective on you in those specific cases. I view you as someone who could never be so easily swayed, and your decisions seem to have logical, fact based reasoning behind them. You said that the first kid made you remember that he was studying, it's not like he actualy told you to remember, that was all of your own doing. Sucking up may work on some, but I guess with you it's more like rationalizing things makes them so much harder to deny. That's different.

Otaku Avatar theif#1 may be famous one day Avatar theif#1 may be famous one day Avatar theif#1's Avatar
    Thanks

Only if you want to sell you'r soul for more money

Do to others as you see fit

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

I think in general, sucking up does NOT work. I think it makes a person seem like they are not sincere. And, its not a respectable trait.

Teachers are a little different though. I dont condone "sucking up" to a teacher. but I was often the kid who stayed on the good side of MOST of my teachers. I tried to be insightful, observant and compliant... so I was favored. And for someone like me, who sucks at doing homework. Being attentive in class scored me huge points.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    I think in general, sucking up does NOT work. I think it makes a person seem like they are not sincere. And, its not a respectable trait.

Teachers are a little different though. I dont condone "sucking up" to a teacher. but I was often the kid who stayed on the good side of MOST of my teachers. I tried to be insightful, observant and compliant... so I was favored. And for someone like me, who sucks at doing homework. Being attentive in class scored me huge points.
    I'd beg to differ, its especially useful at work. WHY??, because i have two bosses who dont like each other very much at when i do play sides, lets just say i get the company vehicle and days off without question, seriously lol.

though you are right about it not being sincere, i would call what i do, very sly,dirty,manipulative,coniving etc.., i am a bad person too if i dont care that it is.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mega View Post
    I don't think so. At least, I don't believe it was effective on you in those specific cases. I view you as someone who could never be so easily swayed, and your decisions seem to have logical, fact based reasoning behind them.
    If this is an illustration of how sucking up DOES work on me: congratulations. It's worked. Have a cookie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast