+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tampering with Genes?

Otaku Nodes Champion, Flames of Fury Champion shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz's Avatar
    the sign says "in a black hole". Is that even possible?!?!
    Thanks

Re: Tampering with Genes?

I must say, What exactly is wrong with people being able to give their children a chance to be unique or higher up in the world? Why can't we find a way for our children to actually have naturally green hair?

But other than that, the idea of a patent on genes just wouldn't make sense. It would obviously be a complete and utter mess. If there was a patent on green eyes, and if someone already had green eyes and hadn't had genetic manipulation done on them, someone could sue them for lieing and they would have to go through a long complicated process to prove they hadn't gotten genetic manipulation done. Although, it seems like we all agree on that.

Now I have a question. If you had the choice to go through genetic manipulation at this point in your life to do whatever you wish (make yourself better in a given subject or change your eye/hair color), would you go through with it if it was free and GUARANTEED a success? What would your objection be?

EDIT: Sorry I started this post about 4 hours 20 minutes ago and didn't know of the new post. XD I had to get to class so I just finished it.

A big thanks to Renn for the sig! THANK YOU!

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: one way traffic

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    I feel, like this area of genetics, is unacceptable, choosing what your child is going to look like..is that right?
    D: who`s to say it`s wrong. Rather, what code morals is it disruptingÉ

(also, my typing thing changed from english to french where all the question marks and É`s and i can`t remember how to fix that )

Forgive my genetic blindness, these dark labs with forumlae on the walls are rather confusing to a mind more accustomed to the facts of history.

However ignorant I am there are still lapses in what is explained, moreso it is explained in such a way that there is important information missing. My experience with regular grade twelve biology tells me so, though it may be wrong as it is only standard curriculum. Unless the whole question was meant to be answered politically.

Pharmacogenetics is used to see the different effects of drugs that occur through genetic variation. That is, the diligent observer wishes to see how genetic variation changes the effects of a drug, I would imagine. That's all I'll say about that.

"Personalized medicine" would be a more layman term, which is called for. Obviously this translates into medicine specifically made for the patient's body, thus closing the margin of error considerably. Or at least this the anticipated future of pharmacogenomics.

However, enough of that seriousness.

Hell yeah I would change myself. I`d love to get rid of the cancer cells in my body just waiting to come out of hibernation, or to have genes put in me for functional eyes. I would be happy to amp up my understanding of the world and all its subjects of knowledge, but I know I would feel guilty for the rest of my life about it. It would kind of be a sham if I hadn`t struggled to learn about it. Though most history geeks might agree. Call it personalized learning.

Chimerism in humansÉ
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

true true, it really does come down to ones moral beliefs, particularly about the whole creating your own child thing (the movie Gattaca comes to mind here..yeah yeah, little bit far fetched I know)

I agree with flawed though...I would change to not have cancer or any other genetic diseases

Otaku Nodes Champion, Flames of Fury Champion shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz's Avatar
    the sign says "in a black hole". Is that even possible?!?!
    Thanks

I personally don't think it's all that bad to "create" your own child. Out of moral beliefs, there is a certain accepted standard in society which is that it's looked down upon. I don't particularly like that aspect. Why not have have the ability to let your child be the best. Their life is still going to be their own. Their likes and dislikes are things that are unchangeable because genetics doesn't determine that immediately at birth. Genetics change with time to accommodate different likes. So, in essence, they would be living their life to the fullest of their potential, or at least with the ability to use their full potential. Granted, in things like sports, it could become a problem, but it doesn't change my mindset that it's not that bad.

Now those changes that you said you would make is in fact still genetic manipulation. There's no reason to feel any guilt or regret about it. That's because it's all in the past. And the manipulation is to look towards the future. Things do change, but if you can prevent things with this, what's so wrong with it?

A big thanks to Renn for the sig! THANK YOU!

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

Go ahead and tamper with the Human Geno.

I mean really; something bad will come of it. I know that for sure~!

I think if you try to prefect the human body, than it's like saying the earth it's self is not prefect; since we come from it.

If we go around curing and fixing everything, the earth will just find better ways to kill us off.

To be born with the prefect immunes of the world is just going to make this planet come up with something greater.

We think AIDS is bad? Step back in time when the fear of Syphilis was bad *bleep*. Syphilis stop a lot of cheating in its day.

I'm I for it? Yea! But I'm I willing to except the trouble it may bring? NO!
    Last edited by Mr. K; Nov 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Just to set the record straight, these "added gene traits" do not completely get passed down to the next offspring, we can look at examples of this in animel and plant test subjects that have been altured. They gradually lose the altured genes after only a few generations before needing to be altured again.

I am all for genetic modification of the removel of defective genes, such as cancer, cancer is basicly nothing more then a rouge cell that replicats its self at an abnormal rait and EVERY ONE HAS IT, it just needs to be triggered. Thats the simple verstion of it though.

I am for the boosting of the Human immun system, over years of cleaning and greater range of products being able to kill more strains of bacteria and viruses and such, the weaker our immun system has become and more alergies have been showing up. Such as being alergic to peanuts. This do to the fact that our immun systen isant constantly being chalanged.

I am more for the practacle and not asthetic use of gene manipulation for several reasons. 1: Being able to change the way a person looks to make them more astheticly pleasing removes the unequness of individuals. 2: It also reduces genetic variations which is a very, very, very bad thing.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post

Well, that was my original thought anyway, then thought more about it..then you'd have an 'elite' in society wouldn't you?
    There will always be Elites in society. There always have been and I see no sign that society will ever rid its self of giving value to certain characteristics, for no other reason that they are hard to obtain or rare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2