+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Textbooks - The Real Price Gouging

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Textbooks - The Real Price Gouging

How many of you feel like you are paying too much for your textbooks right now?? Same here. I mean we are constantly complaining about gas prices, but textbooks prices are the real deal. Considering that college-goers consists of a big part of America, I wonder why no action has been taken yet against textbook companies.

Some things to consider:

- Textbooks have a worse resale value than cars. After one semester (six months) your school will buy the book back at 50% or less of the original price. If a new edition is coming out, you get zero. Even a car would not lost half its value for at least 2 years.

- Many textbook companies are paying our professors a fraction of their sales, in return the professors make their textbooks "mandatory".

- There aren't usually a lot of changes from edition to edition, yet the prices either stays the same or goes higher. Don't tell it's overhead.

------------------------------------------------------
    So who's with me when I say why should we pay an arm and a leg for a book that we will only read a week before the finals??!!!

*please refrain from trying to raise your post count by 1 if you dont have anything to add.* (esp. that healing professional)

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Textbooks - The Real Price Gouging

I have to agree with you on the outrageous prices. At the university I go to there have been multiple protest actions about that. The university has contracts with a bookstore around here which means they have a complete monopoly on the prices of many books and textbooks.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    I have to agree with you on the outrageous prices. At the university I go to there have been multiple protest actions about that. The university has contracts with a bookstore around here which means they have a complete monopoly on the prices of many books and textbooks.
    Now the problem becomes global. Sad thing is, you used to be able to sell your books on amazon.com for a more reasonable price. But more and more ppl use it so they also drive the prices down.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Eria is off to a good start Eria's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to agree. Semester after semester it seems all my money goes to texts books then at the end of the semester I stand in line for hours hoping that they will buy the book. I got a couple of my texts books on ebay but the problem with that is that if you drop the class your stuck with the book. It really is insane, my chemistry book last year alone cost me 200.00.

I'm just me.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Half the time there are new releases that are mandatory to buy, so you can barely ever get them used. And if you try to sell them back to the school's bookstore, they only give you like 15% of the original price. I bought a 90 dollar book last semester... didn't use it and tried selling it back and they only offered me 20 dollars for it.

It's cheaper to buy it used online because even the used books at the bookstores are still expensive as hell.

Devoted Otaku gamemaster331 is off to a good start gamemaster331's Avatar
    Thanks

I fully agree. I have a BA and had to pay out the nose for my textbooks here at little Kent Ashtabula. They have a buy-back at the end of each semester and you normally get $5 to $10 for a book that costed $100 or so. Then, in the next semester in which they use the books, the sell them used for around $60 to $70. It's rediculous.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamemaster331 View Post
    I fully agree. I have a BA and had to pay out the nose for my textbooks here at little Kent Ashtabula. They have a buy-back at the end of each semester and you normally get $5 to $10 for a book that costed $100 or so. Then, in the next semester in which they use the books, the sell them used for around $60 to $70. It's ridiculous.
    What a scam, so the school would make like $150 or $160 total. Yeah id call that highway robbery.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I used to buy used whenever possible. I would find a book that had been marked up by someone who looked like they knew what they were doing. It really made a difference in my studying and saved money too.

Can't find it used... e-bay helps but the higher you get in education the more they seemed to cost and the harder to find.

The book companies claim that the reason they have to sell them for so much is because everyone resells them and they have to charge more in order to make a profit. SO remember, it's the fault of people like me who buy used books.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast