+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: They all look the same

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

They all look the same

I'm pretty sure that most Americans have heard comments about asians to the effect of "they all look the same". Anyone who actually IS asian, has been around asians, or has been to an asian country for any amount of time knows, of course, that it isn't true. But somehow, it's become "common knowledge" that asians "all look the same".

( now if we said that about black people, we'd be racist... ~_~; )

I'm an American living in Japan and today while I was eating lunch, the teacher sitting across from me asked me this question:

"When you see other foreigners on the street, can you tell the difference?"

I asked him to elaborate... "well, to Japanese, all foreigners look the same."

All of the other teachers near us agreed.

ARGH! Is there something wrong with our eyes? Or just our brains?

I'm fairly certain that if we can all pass eye exams seeing the same letters, colors, numbers and dots... we're not seeing radically different things when we look at each other.

Otaku Robo Soccer Champion, Gorillaz Groove Session Champion blackrose92 is off to a good start blackrose92's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: They all look the same

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I'm pretty sure that most Americans have heard comments about asians to the effect of "they all look the same". Anyone who actually IS asian, has been around asians, or has been to an asian country for any amount of time knows, of course, that it isn't true. But somehow, it's become "common knowledge" that asians "all look the same".

( now if we said that about black people, we'd be racist... ~_~; )

I'm an American living in Japan and today while I was eating lunch, the teacher sitting across from me asked me this question:

"When you see other foreigners on the street, can you tell the difference?"

I asked him to elaborate... "well, to Japanese, all foreigners look the same."

All of the other teachers near us agreed.

ARGH! Is there something wrong with our eyes? Or just our brains?

I'm fairly certain that if we can all pass eye exams seeing the same letters, colors, numbers and dots... we're not seeing radically different things when we look at each other.
    well of course you would be racist. you would be racist if you said that about anybody. ~.~

but anyways. i dont think they look the same. i mean i can distinctly tell if anybody has like a twin or something and they lookexactly alike unless you know they're related or something.
    I'm the best you'll ever have because i am that f*ing AMA-zing chic who can stand on her own d*n feet and becasue of you I am the Greatest Thank you so much SasuraiHell and Gwen

Rawr~ :3 Boxteroid Champion, flyplane Champion, Home Run Champion, Bubbelfutsch Champion, Fire Fighter Champion, Brendans Soccer Champion, Movie Star Match-Up Champion, Total blackout Champion, Text Your Reflexes Champion, Scary movie Champion, Hulk Smash Up Champion, Star Wars Champion, Extreme Snowboarding Champion, Air Disc Champion, Action Fish Champion, A Game Of 3 Halves Champion, Battleball Champion, Hacky Sack Champion, FAD 2003 Champion, SQRL Golf Champion, Dr Yeckyl and Mr Ride Champion, Sky Glide Champion, Flyer Champion, Finnair Champion, Drachenjagd Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, City Surfing Champion, Action Driving Game Champion, Extreme Rowing Champion, Kardahdg Champion, Acceleracers Track Mod Champion, Final Test Champion, Du Wichtel Champion, Pedal Power Champion, Camera Killer 2 Champion, Bike Mania on ICE Champion, ATV Winter Challenge Champion, Caliber Dash Champion, Diesel and Death Champion, Snow Ride Champion, Camera Killer Champion, Pepsi Jet Ski Champion, Bumper Cars Championship Champion, Drifting Champion, Get A Grip Champion, Rooney on the Rampage Champion, Death To Ninja Champion, Kung Fu Hustle 2 Champion, Muay Thai Champion, Metal Arm FAWEGE Champion, Knife Champion, Classroom Fighter Champion, Nobuyuki Forces 3 Champion, Caddeva Champion, Sewer Dweller Champion, Angel Mart Champion, Snowy Champion, Bola Champion, Boiler Room Champion, Bobcat Champion, Amazon Quest Champion, Booty Champion, Five Errors Champion, Mind Your Marbles Champion, Angel Fruit Champion, Binggrae Champion, Candy Shoot Champion, Imperial tiles Champion, Himalayaya - Yeti Strikes Back Champion, Terrorist Attack Champion, Americas Army Champion, Special Operations Champion, Destroy the robots Champion, Cubicle Warfare Champion, Battle Field Champion, Weapons Dealer Champion, Army Copter Champion, Flat War Champion, Terrorist Alert Champion, Bully Basher Champion, Reaktor Champion, Bungee Rescue Champion, The Contraptor Champion, Boris Champion, Carling Cold Champion, Paddleball Champion RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe's Avatar
    Not somewhere I love but I am glad I have a home so far
    Thanks

Of coarse we all look the same.. not just to asians...i mean ALL...

you have 2 eyes..2 legs...2 hands...hair/bald...a body...a mouth... We are ALL almost the same... were humans after all..only geographical settings and all seperates us a bit... ^^

Legion Ketsueki Lives on~!!
    I'm BACK AO!
    >>>facebook<<<

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone else notice that Asians generally get referred to as "Chinese" by Americans, predominately in the older generation, but frequently among the younger set? I was out with friends Saturday night, and one girl started talking about the show Heroes, and "that Chinese guy". I gently corrected her, stating that Masi Oka is actually Japanese (the name pretty much gives it away), and got a response of "Whatever, it's all the same".

I think a big part of it is that the people who think this way don't see the people they consider "all the same" close up on a daily basis (at least here, I don't know how it is with foreigners in Japan), thus don't have a really good basis for comparison. Nothing wrong with the eyes, it's all in the mind and the preconceived notions we've been bombarded with since birth.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

I know what you mean Gren.
    i have got some asian friends and other people call them all chinese, when they are in fact Japanese and Chinese, and not to mention Mandrin(I hope I spelt that correctly.)
    I hate it when people do that...
    as for the question... No asian people do not all look the same, and you can see this clearly.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by overload View Post
    and not to mention Mandrin(I hope I spelt that correctly.)
    O_o; Except... Mandarin is a dialect of Chinese (the language), not an ethnic group.

Most people who speak Mandarin are still "Chinese".

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

OK my bad, sorry for that.
    but I understand that you cannot put all asain cultures into one group.
    but why do people try to?
    all my asain friends don't go and call all my other friends all the same so why must the rest of the world?

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

i would have to say it is b/c most ppl dont care enough to actually look closely andtell the difference between outsiders. perhaps it is a kind of learned habit, but i donno.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast