+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: They all look the same

Otaku FuzzyBearofDoom is off to a good start FuzzyBearofDoom's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: They all look the same

I agree with ochi ppl dont care enough to look closely at outsiders so they just dont notice the difference.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, it's probably combination of different factors; region, how often one race encounters another, how one is raised, etc. The fact is that the human eye isn' trained nor is used ta seein' details and features of another race that it doesn' encounter frequently. In others words, if one lived on an island where one didn' encounter any other than one's own; let's hypothetically say white. Now lets say that ur island get visited by another race, hypothetically oriental, wouldn' it b difficult for ur eye ta discern the different features of each individual of that race just as it would b equally difficult for them ta discern urs? I believe that this plays a huge factor in this behavior. Because most whites do not encounter many orientals in their lifetimes, their eyes r unable ta discern the distinctive features of each individual of that race and the reverse could b said ta b true too, or any race for that matter. This is 'cause the eye; and so thus the brain; isn' trained, nor is used ta encounterin' and so thus able ta pick out individual; distinctive features that mark a person of a certain race as unique. This is somethin' that requires time and more frequent encounters wit, not jus' individuals of said race, but the race in it's entirety or lotsa trainin' for an entire race, both; of which; is extremely difficult. So thus, it would b extremely difficult ta end such behavior.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    Does anyone else notice that Asians generally get referred to as "Chinese" by Americans, predominately in the older generation, but frequently among the younger set? I was out with friends Saturday night, and one girl started talking about the show Heroes, and "that Chinese guy". I gently corrected her, stating that Masi Oka is actually Japanese (the name pretty much gives it away), and got a response of "Whatever, it's all the same".

I think a big part of it is that the people who think this way don't see the people they consider "all the same" close up on a daily basis (at least here, I don't know how it is with foreigners in Japan), thus don't have a really good basis for comparison. Nothing wrong with the eyes, it's all in the mind and the preconceived notions we've been bombarded with since birth.
    I can't stand that crap!! I'm not even Asian and when I hear that, I immediately say something. "How do you know they're Chinese? Do you know that person? No? Well, did you ask them? No? Well then how do you know? For all you know they could be Korean!" LOL. It's pretty funny actually.

It bothers me when people say that all (put race here) look alike. Although, when Dave Chappelle made a joke about it, I couldn't help but laugh. "All Chinese people look alike... So do white people... Pretty much anyone who isn't black looks alike to me!" LOL. But when people are serious about it, I get pretty bothered by it. Why does everybody think that all mixed kids look alike??? There was a point in time when people would confuse me with two other mixed kids and state that we all look alike. (We did look kinda related, but that's aside the point)

My roomate jokes and says, "All y'all funny colored people look alike! Y'all act the same way too!" LOL. It doesn't help that I make jokes about black people in the house.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Well when i grew up Black People all looked alike to me. I just wasn't around enough to tell the differences. As an adult and being around alot of them its easy now to do so. Joe Mage is right, if your not around a race its hard to tell the differences in a race, and this makes them look alike. With extended human contact the human eye learns the differences. So seeing Asians don't see alot of whites, of course we would all look alike. Though foreigners shouldn't all look alike to them seeing they come from different parts of the world. The people who call anyone Asian Chinese probably just hasn't seen enough of them or there trying to be racist.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Like whats been mentioned, if your not around them all the time, of course it would be hard to tell the difference.

But it doesn't make it any easier the fact that humans seem to want to make assumptions about people before they even know them.

Now, not that I went around saying that 'all asian look the same' or that I was racist or anything, but before I started uni ( where we have a lot of international asian students from Korea, Japan and I think China) they did look all the same to me. And yes, now that I encounter them on almost a daily basis when I'm at uni, of course they aren't.

I can't stand the closed minded people who do say that, and I'm glad that I was never one of them, they sound so stupid and un educated

Newbie bizy the friggin pirate is off to a good start bizy the friggin pirate's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never head that all asians look the same. But then again I'm from Alaska. We have a lot of japanese americans here.

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know... I can see some difference but indeed I have less knowlege of the differences of facial structure and things like that when it comes to asian or black people, but, now when I'm in Londond and spend more time with different people (there are only latvians and russians in Latvia) I of course see differences and I haven't mixed any people up... It's just our imagination maybe... and just us not wanting to see the difference...

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Well when i grew up Black People all looked alike to me. I just wasn't around enough to tell the differences. As an adult and being around alot of them its easy now to do so. Joe Mage is right, if your not around a race its hard to tell the differences in a race, and this makes them look alike. With extended human contact the human eye learns the differences. So seeing Asians don't see alot of whites, of course we would all look alike. Though foreigners shouldn't all look alike to them seeing they come from different parts of the world. The people who call anyone Asian Chinese probably just hasn't seen enough of them or there trying to be racist.
    Yeah, I've heard people say that all black people look alike. It's funny, because when you're talkin' to the police about being attacked or robbed and you give them a description of a black dude, you've just described like over half the population of North Minneapolis! LOL.

When I lived in Brooklyn Park, I was walking to a friend's house and an unmarked squad car jumps the curb, cutting me off and some cop jumps out. Three more squads surround me and they've got thier guns pointed at me, screaming, "Freeze!" I said, "What did I do?" They tell me, "You're under arrest for domestic assult!!" I'm worried at this point, because when I left my house, my girlfriend was happy, I don't hit girls. Long story short, they put me in a squad car, because I "fit the description" and ran my ID.

Come to find out, it was some other black man who was wearing the same clothes as me. Ugh... >_<

Bratling and I seen that man later on that day, chillin' on the steps of our apartment complex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast