+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is today's Society forcing Children?

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Is today's Society forcing Children?

Is todays Society forcing Children?

Hello AO'ers,

What do you think about this? About today's society forcing children to become better than everyone else?

For example, some parents are forcefully trying to make their children better sportspersons, send them into beauty contests, make them study hard and etc.

Do you think it's right for adults to make their children work so hard [that in one case, a child died because his father forced him to train for table tennis] that they actually loose it?

I've noticed that today's talents are getting younger and younger whenever they're on the news.
    For example on Nickelodeon an advertisement showed "The Naked Brothers" or something ... and they're singing and are so famous and they're not even 13!
    Another one would be "High School Musical", hopefully everyone should know about this one.
    All the people I see on the T.V, movies [especially Disney movies] and in magazines are mostly young people.

What are your opinions on those two ideas?

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Is today's Society forcing Children?

People are doing this to better the world. If their kids are successful and know right from wrong, then all will be right with the world. I don't think parents and society are forcing kids on anything. Parents are just that, and have a right to do as they wish to their children. They do what the see is fit that needs to be done.

And yes, talent nowadays are getting younger and younger, but that all goes back to what I said earlier. Success.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

*shrugs*

I don't see the difference, really. Parents from long ago forced their kids to do things and succeed, parents these days force their kids to be overachievers too. It's not like this whole "forcing" issue's changed in a big way. If anything, I'd say parents these days are a lot more liberal and less strict in their ways. Talents getting younger doesn't necessarily mean parents are just forcing their kids to go into the television industry at a younger age; it could just mean that kids are more exposed to this sort of thing and they're learning how to make decisions for themselves even at ridiculously young ages.

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with you, Lavie and B_R. But sometimes, don't you think it's asking too much from the children? Like "See, that child got 99%, you should do it too." "See, if that child can be on T.V, so should you, so work hard!."
    [I should know snce I hear this almost every day ]
    So anyway, do you get what I mean?

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I do, but that's been around for like forever. My mom does it too, she compares me to other kids, and it certainly does bug me... but what can I do? Ignoring her will just make her bug me all the more, so I just try harder. It's not really asking too much, it's just.... a different way of making kids work hard.

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

some people are. most just want whats best for their children, but go out of control. some people think they want whats best for their children, but really just want it for themselves.

(just to name the bad ones)

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

My mother promised me she'd take me to Japan if I graduated HS with all A's. And then she changed her mind to valedictorian. She kept her mind set on that and wasn't about to change it either. And she knows how obsessed I am with Japan and its culture. But she insisted on me graduating with "valedictorian" as a title. I eventually told her that there have been kids since freshman year who have had straight As, and it was just impossible. No matter how much I would try, and no matter how great my grades have been.. it just isn't realistically possible.

And she understood that.
    So I believe that parents just want the best for their children, no matter what the stress they put on them. It's all for the good of the kid in the end, and the parent is just trying to help. However, there are those parents who push their children because they themselves are selfish and what THEIR child to be the best and better than everyone else's child.

Newbie Sakura may be famous one day Sakura may be famous one day
    Thanks

Lol, 'The Naked Brothers' ? I don't think that's a great title for a kids group, but maybe that's just me. XD;; I think Encouraging their interests or talents is a definite good thing but there is such a thing as pushing them too hard.

I also dissagree with the part of the above posted comment which said:

'Parents are just that, and have a right to do as they wish to their children. They do what the see is fit that needs to be done.'

I believe children have a right to say and do what they like with their lives (within reason), it's not up to the parent to decide for them. The parent should also be supporting and encouraging for whatever the kid wants to do (constructive choices, that is). The kids are human too and should have the right to find out what THEY want to do with their life and not have it forced upon them by some overbearing parent. They're a kid for gods sake, they should be having fun and spending their time doing the things they wont have time to as an adult. Not being forced by their parent into practicing to be the top athlete/musician in the country. If the kid wants that for themself though, good for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast