+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Uh oh. close your eyes"

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: "Uh oh. close your eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    As for the song lyrics, they wouldn't be listening to that kinda stuff until there about 15 or 16.

In todays world i know they may still hear or see these things, but im not going to add to it.
    I find this one pretty tough to avoid, unless ~I~ want to be stuck listening to music that is age appropriate for a 4 and 2 year old. Theres onlly so much "Hey Diddle diddle" you can take.^^

But I have to admit, I was into some hardcore tunes before they exsisted... Its hard for me not to continue being myself.

They hear all the crap the comes on the radio when I drive. And I don't change it... some of those songs are catchy.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    I find this one pretty tough to avoid, unless ~I~ want to be stuck listening to music that is age appropriate for a 4 and 2 year old. Theres onlly so much "Hey Diddle diddle" you can take.^^

But I have to admit, I was into some hardcore tunes before they exsisted... Its hard for me not to continue being myself.

They hear all the crap the comes on the radio when I drive. And I don't change it... some of those songs are catchy.
    U shouldn' stop tryin' ta b urself, I'm not goin' ta say stop listenin' ta ur music; jus' try and limit ur kids' exposure ta it. Yet no matter what precautions u take, ur kids r probably goin' ta hear the music anyway, that's where a good sit down discussion would b extremely beneficial ta them.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    U shouldn' stop tryin' ta b urself, I'm not goin' ta say stop listenin' ta ur music; jus' try and limit ur kids' exposure ta it. Yet no matter what precautions u take, ur kids r probably goin' ta hear the music anyway, that's where a good sit down discussion would b extremely beneficial ta them.
    I agree. Thats why I make sure my kids are coming along developmentally. That they know acedemically what they should for their age... My oldest son has already shown he's advanced in his languege skills. I explain everything I can think of to them. I tell them why adults can do and say things they cant.
    And yeah... So far I think Im doing OK. I hope so anyway.

BTW I appreciate everyones input. I've been sort of fighting myself on the issue. I'ts reassuring that many of you dont think a little freedom is immoral.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I couldn't handle those movies until i was in my teenage years, and even then i was spooked.
    I watched all the Freddy, Jason, Halloween, and pretty much every slasher movie before I was 10, and I turned out ok. But I do agree with you, that kid does need some kind of help.

I grew up watching violent movies (War movies, action films, stuff like that) with my dad, but he explained things to me, and from that, I got a firm grasp of reality and fantasy.

Lack of censorship isn't the problem, its lazy parents who don't explain to their children the differences between real life and whats in a movie that's the issue here.

If you trust and respect your kids (And I'm quoting my mother here) to do the right thing, more often then not, they will do the right thing, it may not always happen (I've made some Fine mistakes in my life), but thats life. You got to break a few eggs to make an omelet.
    Last edited by aceman67; Aug 10, 2007 at 01:47 PM.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    See, I envy that. Im sort of a lazy\selfish parent in that sense. My oldest son likes eminem (known for his contriversial (sp), and obscene lyrics), hes only 4. His father was really the one to introduce him to it without my knowledge. And I admitedly have listedned to such music around him.

Thats the music I like, and my kids are almost always around me.
    I am not a parent, so I am all words at the moment.

~!! It depends on whether or not you're fine with your kids getting exposed to such music. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't introduce my kids to such music even if I'm accustomed to it. I guess simple, temporary, personal sacrifices are the answer, if you wish them not to get acquainted to such music at their ages. Listening to such music doesn't necessarily promote them in becoming the type of individuals you don't want them to be, but I personally wouldn't gamble with chances.

By the way, thanks for the V-chip-info link. : )
    Last edited by kedar; Aug 10, 2007 at 03:07 PM.

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

Censorship isn't that essential as explaining & making your child understand life itself... Am I saying turn them into an adult at an early age.?. No, but you do have to embrace that someday your child might see/hear the very things you are not trying to expose them to & who you rather them learn it from off the streets, from someone else, or you & your partner (someone you trust)..?

Yea' my parents let me watch just about everything except sexually explicit material, even the sex scenes in movies I did watch they made me close my eyes, but sooner or later they had to explain to me about birds & the bees... Maybe sooner than they thought, but they did... They explained about sex & how a man & woman are sexually attracted to one another & stuff like that... They also explained the consequences of ones action... They told me about if I ever did consider or was going to have sex practice safe sex, so they told me about condoms & never have sex w/out one cause of diseases & pregnancy... My mother was real firm on that matter she told me don't even consider kids until I got everything I want out of life basically... She just told me it is much easier if I did... My father told me if I did get a child doesn't make me a man, but being a father does, so he was firm with that... He basically told me if I wasn't ready to step up to the plate don't pick up the bat... I'm 22 do I have kids no, but will I father them if I did yes!!! All I am saying is prepare your child, not hender them cause you don't want them to see/hear certain things cause eventually they are going to have to step in the real world & not knowing is more dangerous than knowing...

I think anything you expose your child you have to make them understand both the pros/cons & the real/fake... Don't just expose them to one thing, but a variety cause like I said eventually they are going to have a mind of their own, but will they know the means of their thought.?. My child will be able to watch, listen to just about anything he/she wants, but they will have a full understanding on what they are listening to or seeing...

*Think about it*... When you were in school/college & you seen a person who parents was very strict/protective they was the one who tend to turn out the most wild especially once they left from under their parents (they also was more sneaky/cunning than most)... And the ones who parents was very loose with no guidelines didn't have a clue on consequences (they knew about them, but didn't understand the full extent)...

Not saying I am the perfect turn out of a child, cause I made my mistakes I am human, but I do have a mind of my own & a understanding on life itself... I am street smart with book sense... I am open to many genre & different cultures... I know the world can be a terrible place, but has it's beauty in it also...

"Life itself is a journey & some things have to be lived than taught, but don't send your child into the "jungle" with no weapon & sometimes the things you teach them will be the weapons they have to choose from"...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inuruto View Post
    Yea' my parents let me watch just about everything except sexually explicit material, even the sex scenes in movies I did watch they made me close my eyes, but sooner or later they had to explain to me about birds & the bees... Maybe sooner than they thought, but they did... They explained about sex & how a man & woman are sexually attracted to one another & stuff like that...
    I watched the sex scenes too... I was told to close my eyes. But like most curious children... I peaked.
    My parents tought me the bare bones of sex before I cared to know... (or could really understand). I was about 4. The reason they had to slightly cover it was in effort to answer the questions "Where do babies come from?"

Eventually they just bought me this book called "Where Did I come From?" By Peter Mayle. That book explained EVERYTHING. Sex. Pregnancy. Complete with detailed illustrations. I recomend it for curios youngsters actually.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned Big Bird Hunting Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Buzzer Champion, Book Worm Champion, Dragonfly Champion, Add It Up Champion, Trivial Blitz 2 Champion KimiFemi is off to a good start KimiFemi's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a lil brother and I'm way over protective>.< lol
    I dont let him watch anything that curses or shows killing or sexuality
    I prefer to try and keep him innocent as long as possible
    I know that may not be realistic because kids go to school and learn from their friends all the bad things you try to hide from them at home
    but I'll keep trying anyway lol
    it all reqally depends on the age and personality of the child ... my lil brother is very easily influenced to mimic anything and everything he sees
    one time he was flipping channels on the tv in his room ( hes only seven and it was my mom who gave him his own tv ... *shakes head* anyway)
    and he started watching MTV and saw some girls dancing ... he thought it was so fuuny and started dancing like them shaking his ass >.< he still does it sometimes even though we explained those are girl dances not boy ones ...
    (damn tv...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast