+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uncultural language?

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

Uncultural language?

I just saw a terrible discussion (also called "bloodbath") about whether English language is good or not good etc. etc. And I decided that I need to discuss it but with some more "grounded" people (those who don't jump at each other). I did a search on this and the results didn't have anything about good or bad languages.

Well the thing that shocked me the most was that a guy said that English is an uncultural language.How far would you agree with this?
    What does a language has to have to be "cultural" or good?
    What makes a language bad?
    Why is French said to be a beautiful language?
    Why is German said to be an ugly language?
    and so on...
    Also can bring in which language is your favourite language and why? and anything else you want to comment with...

Well in my opinion, no language can't really be uncultural, because people create it and it takes a lot of time, and there always must be some culture behind it. For example, Latvian language can show you how many invaders Latvia has had (there are some traces of Russian and German in Latvian).

I guess the main reason why a person would say that a language is uncultural would be because it has lots of "barbarisms" and so on, for example, in English there is too much use of the word "fu*k"; Latvian uses a lot of words that are simply a bit more latvian English words and also English, for example is used in so many countries that it is changed a lot in each country.
    Of course the reason for not liking a language could be as plain as "it doesn't sound nice" or "I don't like Russia" or "it is taking over my language too much!"

English is used an awfull lot indeed and I for example sometimes just hate how in America words are changed so very much. But I still think it is a beautifull language. It sounds nice, it is rather easy to learn and it I think it also has a lot of culture, and I don't think it will loose it that easly.

Anyways... time for your opinion >.< What do you think about English and languages altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasura View Post
    How do you think? Is it right to let go of your mother tongue? Should governemnt interfere so that a language wouldn't banish?
    Last edited by Lasura; Jun 18, 2008 at 03:18 PM.

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Uncultural language?

German is considered ugly because all those F***ING MORONS associate german with Nazi and the German language does sound kind of angry sometimes. Why French is considered beautiful, I have no idea. Now tell me what it means for a language to be "cultured," I am rather confused by that. I prefer the German language because most of the music I listen to is in German, not only that but some of my friends speak German so I'll sign their Yearbook or talk to them in German keeping things secret or just for the fun of it.

Thanks

Yah, it was very annoying to hear a man calling a language uncultural...

Eh, you can't let things like that associate with something general lika a language. If we did that every language in the world could be hated!!! And I should have to hate Russian, German and Switz (or how u call the language) just because they at some time were in rule at Latvia ~.~ wouldn't that be a bit silly? Every person has done something he should be ashamed of, would we call all his/her nation and his/her language ugly and bad just because of that?
    I personally loooove German and dislike French. I love the strong, emotional German language and I dislike the stuttering, lisping sound of French. Though I understand that many people feel the other way around- French flows much more nicely, and is sweetly lyrical... German is very strong, but I love it and I'm even glad that people mistaken me for german all the time because of my accent

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Hooray for liking German!
    See I prefer English over "American" because it's the original and it's better.
    I wanna speak Prussian though, it'd be cool to be able to speak a language not spoken since Germany absorbed it and I am Prussian so it's all good.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

English is a good and bad becuz it changes words, through that change, it makes the language flexible and easily adapted to changing times. yet, that's also a bad thing becuz words can be misused so much that they no longer mean what they used to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128 View Post
    Hooray for liking German!
    See I prefer English over "American" because it's the original and it's better.
    I wanna speak Prussian though, it'd be cool to be able to speak a language not spoken since Germany absorbed it and I am Prussian so it's all good.
    Well there wouldn't be no use of Prussian, but you might like to know that Latvian is from the same branch of languages (and also Lithuanian). German didn't absorbe us and we didn't absorbe German, because they thought of us too low to marry us and make us integrate into their culture... What a luck. Al the years of slavery did have a good side

I also completley agree wiyh you about the English and Amercian English thing. I mean, I don't mind if they speak differnetly, it is actually quite nice (esecially when people from Texas talk ), but I pray that there still stays British English...

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    yet, that's also a bad thing becuz words can be misused so much that they no longer mean what they used to.
    Ahh yes, it is quite bad, like dumb, for example, I never knew that it also means unable to speak!!! >.< But then again, it's better if that word is used somehow differently rather than dissappearing at all...

Talking about dissapearing, I think that Malay will soon dissappeare at least from Malaysia, because the government encourages English to be learnt and used and spoken so much, and doesn't encourage their own language. I really can not understand this!!! In Latvia we have always been tought to love our language as if it was our mother and scientists keep trying to create new words in Latvian, so they wouldn't have to take words straigt from other languages and so on... How do you think? Is it right to let go of your mother tongue? Should governemnt interfere so that a language wouldn't banish?

Thanks

When a british person talks it keeps me interested, when someone from America talks it depends upon the topic and who they are otherwise I don't listen.
    I know Prussian would be useless but I just want to learn it, it would be godly. Now I thought Germany absorbed Prussia. Hmmm... damn you Wikipedia/my own mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128 View Post
    When a british person talks it keeps me interested, when someone from America talks it depends upon the topic and who they are otherwise I don't listen.
    I know Prussian would be useless but I just want to learn it, it would be godly. Now I thought Germany absorbed Prussia. Hmmm... damn you Wikipedia/my own mind.
    lol No! It did!!! As much as I remember from History, Prussia dissappeared as it merged together with Germany- their culture and language just mix up with Germany's. I was talking about Latvians and latvian language ^^

And it's nice that you want to learn this language just for the cultural benefit of it ^^ I actually have always wanted to learn Latin. And being able to read Egyptian symbols also charmed me. However, now back to the topic ^^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast