+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism.

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Vegetarianism.

I've heard that intelligent people are more likely to become vegetarians... And that vegetarians are usually smarter than those who aren't.

I really, really, really have to disagree with this statement.

Also, I've heard that vegetarians' diet have less of an impact on the environment. Which I think is true if their food is locally grown instead of being shipped and trucked...
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well they are people who dont eat meat or chicken or fish but if you go to the next step of Vegetarianism then you become vegan and dont eat anything from an animal like eggs or milk but if you are vegan i can till you its usally a very unhealthy way to live life.

Newbie smexiisailor is off to a good start smexiisailor's Avatar
    Thanks

Some people like meat and some don't... i like my meat... to me animals are walking meat
    .:.:.SKAZZA.:.:.

Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Thanks

hrmm while I do appreciate everyones comments so far. I would really like to avoid this turning into a junk thread. In other words if your going to express an opinion leave it a little open ended for discussion or cover the entire point. M-kay ^^ thnx.

To tsuara:
    The things you know really scare me sometimes...

To miroku:
    It's not necessarily a myth but more of a bend at the truth. While it doesn't matter what a vegetarian eats, they are more careful to make sure that they have balanced diets... this means no relying on fastfood as a primary food source... they generally tend to do things the healthy way. Although there is the other twist which I'm going to address to fireandice. <see "to fireandice:">

To legend:
    see "to tsuara:" then continue
    what's with veganism? do they have a vendetta against animals and decide to boycot anything that's animal produced? (*chuckles*) or are they just being incredibly conserving of life? I wonder... ( I know which would make a better story =P)

To: fireandice
    I already mentioned the responsible type of vegetarian to miroku, they watch their diets and will tend to live a little longer then they would if the just gorbed out all of the time. The vegetarians that you described are quite the opposite. This "myth" stems from vegetarians who just cut meat out of their lives and don't replace it with anything... the lack of protien makes thier bodies weak and well they get really really sick. However because responsible vegetarians are careful to get their proper nutrition their immunities are usually stronger (this varies from person to person)
    P.s. <whispers> Hints? what hints? those are gossip/ heresay... use them at your own discretion.

To abby:
    ahh I'd love to talk with you for hours on this particular topic. This one once again is depending on the group of people you're looking at, in this case vegetarians as a whole... as for smart people choosing to be vegetarian... that's a lie. but the inverse has some grounds for common sense. This relates back to the idea of a responsible vegetarian making sure that they get the right stuff in them naturally it'll be easier for their brain to function. That being said a normal meat eating person could adjust their diet in a similar manner ( one including meat) and have the same results.

Economic footprints are sketchy to know at best... I mean you're kinda crossing the border a little vegetarians aren't the only people who eat organic foods. and even most vegans rely on factory processed tofu and such... so I'd say it's a 6 to one half a dozen to the other...

To gungrave: I don't remember anyone asking what a vegetarian was. (oops that sounds a little harsh...) I appreciate that tidbit of information because it's something I forgot to include in my intro but it kinda stops the natural flow of things a little...

To smexi: ahhh ok... what else? please tell me that you have a myth or something to throw out there... after all that is what this thread is about.

To anyone who is offended:
    -by the material I'm sorry (not really) I opened this in the interests of knowing what all of the views on this particular topic are.
    - by my critiques note the rules of ao and the stress by all of the mods to shy away from low quality posts.
    - by my attitude I'm sorry I really am blunt. Flowering things up just gets in the way of clarity and I'd much rather be honest then a kiss)( {bad sense of humor... ahaha it looks like a bum}

... and join my rebellion against time.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    To legend:
    see "to tsuara:" then continue
    what's with veganism? do they have a vendetta against animals and decide to boycot anything that's animal produced? (*chuckles*) or are they just being incredibly conserving of life? I wonder... ( I know which would make a better story =P)
    I was hoping that you tell me if I said anything wrong about vegans, because I am assuming that you as the thread starter would have an amount of knowledge pertaining to the topic + the fact that you are a vegetarian yourself.

Also I am a little confused as what you mean by vendetta against animals?? Vegans would be the exact opposite of that. lol you just wish the racist people of the world would be like that ("I have a vendetta against a certain group of people, so I will avoid this group of people altogether") sure beats violence. But speaking about the conservation of life, then all they should do is consume water. Heck, to me, plants have life too.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abby724 View Post
    Also, I've heard that vegetarians' diet have less of an impact on the environment. Which I think is true if their food is locally grown instead of being shipped and trucked...
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    To abby:
    Economic footprints are sketchy to know at best... I mean you're kinda crossing the border a little vegetarians aren't the only people who eat organic foods. and even most vegans rely on factory processed tofu and such... so I'd say it's a 6 to one half a dozen to the other...
    Actually I can see truth in this. Meat generally needs more input from the environment to keep than growing plants - water (maybe?), what they eat (some one has to grow the grain which uses vast land and chemicals which does who knows what to the environment), the methane that's released into the air XD and maybe the space. Cattle tends to move erode the place eat all the native grasses. Whether the impact is worse than plants I don't really know. But if the vegetarian only buys from small little fruit and veggie stores, the fruit would have done less travel then buying from the more well known chain supermarkets (as abby has already mentioned)

Also just because it's organic, doesn't necessarily means it's healthier for the environment or people (but that's another story..)

As for myth that I've heard myself, well I think it's already been mentioned but the myth that vegetarians lack in protein and iron. If a vegetarian eats a variety of fruit and vegies (which in actual fact we all should be) she/he will get the right amount of all the vitamins and minerals. ^^ I've actually noticed that I'm swapping my red meat for more vege type meals but by no means vegetarian, I still enjoy a steak every now and then and love the chicken and fish too much lol

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not against anyone who wants to go vegan, but I don't think I could live without meat. Although I think that vegetarian food is generally pretty healthy, I'm not so sure how good the vegan diet really is. My parents are doctors and they share my opinion - vegetarians eat healthy, but not healthy enough. There is a lot of good stuff in meat you can't get in a vegan diet, and though people have come up with ways to sort of substitute all that good stuff, it's not quite... enough.

Still, that's not necessarily a bad thing. While eating meat has its benefits, it does expose you to certain diseases, so either way I wouldn't say one is better than the other. ^^;;

Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Thanks

To Legend: OK I wasn't sure what you were trying to get at with that so I decided to test the waters before I tried to walk on them so to speak. Vegan means srrictly no animal produced products (this you already knew) the reasons why differ though. some vegans are boy cotting meats and animal products because they are convinced that harvesting animals as a primary food source (euphemism) is inhumane and unnaturally cruel to animals. Others believe that animals are not healthy and it's unnatural for people to rely on milk after infancy and the same goes for eggs and meat. I'm not really sure because there isn't a set rhyme or reason behind motives for a group because everyone is an individual and each has his/her own variation of thought. (and I wish that racism were the same as my described vendetta actually I wish all vendettas were on grounds of avoidance opposed to violence.)

To gwenbie:
    I'm not saying that it's impossible for a vegetarian to be more economically friendly, merely stating that a person isn't nicer to the environment strictly because they are vegetarian. (I probably should have cleared that up sooner... sorry about that) and just for the record there are different classifications of vegetarian, those which include poultry and fish in their diet.

To blue:
    You bring up a good point. I am not vegan so I eat fish and different things from organic sources to get those special protiens and minerals that are comparitively more beneficial then their refined counterparts so I get where you're coming from. Although I don't know enough about the vegan diet to say yay or nay to it being healthy.

... and join my rebellion against time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast