Closed Thread

Thread: Wanting to become a Psychiatrist...

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Wanting to become a Psychiatrist...

Ok havent found the information im looking for,
    web searches ive looked in have only given me
    limited info so i thought id
    ask the kind community here.

I am a 19 yr old male, interested in pursuing a career in Psychiatry, preferably child psychiatry. Though of course i would need
    to obtain a bachelors thru a four year college, go thru med school,
    and residency.

What id like to know is where can i find help with obtaining this education,
    whats life in this field like (pros and cons), benifits, etc?

Kinda need to be pointed in the right direction, still trying to find out more info
    on the path to become a psychiatrist as well, as far as wat i need to take in a four yr college, and gettin accepted to med school, and wat to expect. (and finding how to pay for it all)

Kinda wonder wat a day for a psychiatrist is like.
    And getting there.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Yay-yea?

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Wanting to become a Psychiatrist...

I think the best way to learn to be a psychiatrist is knowing how to deal with people's problems of all capacities. Besides knowing which tissues to buy and how to cross your legs at the right moments, knowing how the human emotions function and how to deal with people is something that is best learned through life experience, I think. Every chance you get try to talk to someone about their problems and figure out, with them, the best ways to resolve them.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if you are wondering why don't you seek one out and do like an internship, that way you know what you are getting into before hand. If you don't like it you have invested no money in it. And can just walk away. If you do like it you have a contanct for references and such.

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Wanting to become a Psychiatrist...

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Well if you are wondering why don't you seek one out and do like an internship, that way you know what you are getting into before hand. If you don't like it you have invested no money in it. And can just walk away. If you do like it you have a contanct for references and such.
    Thanks guys, but haha that wasnt what i was asking, i dont need
    reasssurance or anything, besides internship is basically residency, which is after med school. Rather i need to find info about what i asked.

And yea i actually do plan to interview one thats in practice, ask questions and advice and all sorts of junk.
    Yay-yea?

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Search for hospitals in your area with mental health facilities, and call in their psychiatric department to see if you can shadow a psychiatrist there. That way you will get a feel for what entails (that profession) clinically on a daily basis. You might even run into a resident or medical school student doing their specialty rotation. If you are nice, they might sit down with you, answer your questions, and add their perspectives into the mix. As for information regarding academia, prerequisites, and finance during school, contact any medical schools that you are interested in. Better yet, speak to your academic adviser if you are in school.

On a side note: I worked (more like volunteered) two nights a week during college as a mental health assistant - which was an eye opener for me in terms of seeing what exactly goes on in a mental health facility at nights. They had me monitor patients (some that were suicidal) during their sleep, among other things. Good times!

Lastly: This is blog/journal material. Thus-ly: + Closing +.

Closed Thread