+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Water Found On The Moon

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Water Found On The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael View Post
    Mars is actually very cold, its Venus that is very hot. The reason for each of them to go opposite ways is actually very interesting, but its too long to get into now.

While this is interesting in its own right I don't see it leading to any kind of settlement on the moon. Maybe something military far in the future, but its just too expensive for me to believe anything commercial will come out of it. There isn't much gained by setting up a colony on the moon, especially since the technology required to sustain a breathable atmosphere either through a closed structure(while being cost effective) or by terraforming is just mind boggling. There is a reason there is little atmosphere there and fighting physics on that scale is no small task. Not to mention the time it would take to get a tertiary atmosphere on a planetary body that we actually managed to get a carbon cycle going on. The hard part about terraforming a planet, such as those found in our solar system, is not what you do on the surface.
    Add on to the fact that the moon is basicly dead, its innere core is no longer going, its just basicly a dead rock, so it has no electromagentic feild to protect it from soler wind and radiation, with out the EMF it would be vertualy impossible to develop any kind of atmosphere simply because it will be simply blown away.
    Same thing with Mars for that matter.
    But the moon would allow us a great practice ground for intereplanitary colonization.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh, I agree with you there. Start small. The thing is, where are we going to get enough radioactive material to jump start the core of a celestial body, even something as small as the moon? That's also assuming we can drill deep enough to touch the core which is something we aren't even close to doing on Earth. As I said, the technology required is just mind boggling.
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael View Post
    Oh, I agree with you there. Start small. The thing is, where are we going to get enough radioactive material to jump start the core of a celestial body, even something as small as the moon? That's also assuming we can drill deep enough to touch the core which is something we aren't even close to doing on Earth. As I said, the technology required is just mind boggling.
    Agreed, how ever there are ways around that, bio-domes can be built to shield against such radioactive forces as soler wind and radiation and things of that nature, just don't expect there to be green pastures on the moon or Mars surfice as all of that will need to be built inside.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm really not to interested in the whole water in space thang but the radio just said something neato.

Now, don't read into to this to seriously, it was on Power97, the rock station, so they could be pulling out chains but apparently NASA is gonna blow up the moon tomorrow.

No, not like that silly face. They're putting something like, 50 tonnes of TNT or 20 tonnes or some other ridiculous amount of explosives on the moon so it makes some kind of dust cloud or something. They want to study the dust or see what's underneath it or something, in hopes of finding water.

But they're still changing the face of the moon, and will this impact the moon itself? Maybe, dunno but I thought all the space cadets on AO would enjoy this.
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

50 tons would be nothing to the Moon as a whole. You could detonate megatons of nukes on the surface of the moon and all it would make is a crater. The thinnest part of the Moon's crust is almost twice as thick as the average continental crust on Earth. I haven't done any reading up on what their plans are for the Moon, but I was under the impression they were just going to have something impact the surface, not use an explosion.
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

For everyone interested, seems you'll be able to watch that LCROSS Lunar Impact on Nasa's webpage, including some live footage.
    Check NASA for more information:

NASA - LCROSS
    Orrrr:
    SLOOH - LCROSS: Lunar CRater Observation Sensing Satellite Special Event

LCROSS hits the moon at approximately 7:31AM Eastern/4:31AM Pacific. Broadcasting will start an hour earlier.
    Count me in. (:

Really seems that the impact will create some kind of crater.
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

NASA is saying if you have a telescope, and you're west of the Mississippi, it may be possible to personally see the results of the impact. Tomorrow, Friday morning... 7:31AM EDT, 4:31AM Pacific Daylight time...

Shoot the Moon: NASA Plans Lunar Dust-Up - CBS News

NASA: Lunar crashes won’t hurt the moon - LiveScience- msnbc.com

LCROSS: Amateur Observations
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Oct 08, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Rawr~ :3 Boxteroid Champion, flyplane Champion, Home Run Champion, Bubbelfutsch Champion, Fire Fighter Champion, Brendans Soccer Champion, Movie Star Match-Up Champion, Total blackout Champion, Text Your Reflexes Champion, Scary movie Champion, Hulk Smash Up Champion, Star Wars Champion, Extreme Snowboarding Champion, Air Disc Champion, Action Fish Champion, A Game Of 3 Halves Champion, Battleball Champion, Hacky Sack Champion, FAD 2003 Champion, SQRL Golf Champion, Dr Yeckyl and Mr Ride Champion, Sky Glide Champion, Flyer Champion, Finnair Champion, Drachenjagd Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, City Surfing Champion, Action Driving Game Champion, Extreme Rowing Champion, Kardahdg Champion, Acceleracers Track Mod Champion, Final Test Champion, Du Wichtel Champion, Pedal Power Champion, Camera Killer 2 Champion, Bike Mania on ICE Champion, ATV Winter Challenge Champion, Caliber Dash Champion, Diesel and Death Champion, Snow Ride Champion, Camera Killer Champion, Pepsi Jet Ski Champion, Bumper Cars Championship Champion, Drifting Champion, Get A Grip Champion, Rooney on the Rampage Champion, Death To Ninja Champion, Kung Fu Hustle 2 Champion, Muay Thai Champion, Metal Arm FAWEGE Champion, Knife Champion, Classroom Fighter Champion, Nobuyuki Forces 3 Champion, Caddeva Champion, Sewer Dweller Champion, Angel Mart Champion, Snowy Champion, Bola Champion, Boiler Room Champion, Bobcat Champion, Amazon Quest Champion, Booty Champion, Five Errors Champion, Mind Your Marbles Champion, Angel Fruit Champion, Binggrae Champion, Candy Shoot Champion, Imperial tiles Champion, Himalayaya - Yeti Strikes Back Champion, Terrorist Attack Champion, Americas Army Champion, Special Operations Champion, Destroy the robots Champion, Cubicle Warfare Champion, Battle Field Champion, Weapons Dealer Champion, Army Copter Champion, Flat War Champion, Terrorist Alert Champion, Bully Basher Champion, Reaktor Champion, Bungee Rescue Champion, The Contraptor Champion, Boris Champion, Carling Cold Champion, Paddleball Champion RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe's Avatar
    Not somewhere I love but I am glad I have a home so far
    Thanks

Water on moon does not surprise me because Moon was half of planet earth...

To live on the moon huh? I'd kill for a day trip...

Legion Ketsueki Lives on~!!
    I'm BACK AO!
    >>>facebook<<<

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast