+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what is funny about the english language?

Otaku crimson is off to a good start crimson's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: what is funny about the english language?

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now a long time ago, back when I was in kindergarten, I always wondered why pancakes didn't taste like cake...

Though speaking of eggplant, there is a variety of Chinese eggplant that produces a small white colored fruit that looks exactly like a ...

Cook's Thesaurus: Eggplants

waaah... i don't think these look like eggs... T_T
    but they are round... and white... ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyarrow View Post
    You can't forget those words that are spelled the same, yet pronounced differently and mean different things. Like, bow and bow, lead and lead etc...
    yeah... i totally agree with the fact that they are annoying at times... and think about the long rising arguements between british and americans... i mean... how should you really pronounce tomato, potato, neither, and either?!
    i'll choose to love whoever i wish to love and nobody can stop me from doing so ----

crimson
    edited from SamBakZa.net

Newbie wolfleaf is off to a good start wolfleaf's Avatar
    Thanks

The English language has many words that come from other language, which we use in every day life. I like how English language is mixed with other language words because its what makes English so easy to know by the words that are taken from other language.

wolfleaf (the last of the fallen)

Newbie hokage487 is off to a good start hokage487's Avatar
    Thanks

well... the english is the second hardest language in the world (chinese be being the hardest) also there many execptions to engilsh and it is amazing it is still one of the widest spoken langauge in the world (assuming people would avoid and not speak hard languages)

whats funny about it is that we still say these words until now that u mention it we still would be speaking these words and never think about it.

so thx for making us realize how akward our language is
    Humor, honesty, and honor is the key to live a pure and happy life

Àddïctëd tø |ăüghïñg :) Sonny Sunshine Champion, Volcano Champion, Aquarium Sprengischen Champion, Spiderman Web of Words Champion, Look Alive Champion iluvmyloser is off to a good start iluvmyloser's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's see...

The thingy for bluetooth is blue.
    Mexican Hamburgers have ham,bacon && pineapple.
    The rest..I dunno.

English will be the #1 speaking language in China, and China will be the #1 english speaking country. Shocker.
    Yeah, Bye.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

German fact of the day:

The name 'hamburger' actually came from the place it was invented, Hamburg, Germany.

Àddïctëd tø |ăüghïñg :) Sonny Sunshine Champion, Volcano Champion, Aquarium Sprengischen Champion, Spiderman Web of Words Champion, Look Alive Champion iluvmyloser is off to a good start iluvmyloser's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh that's nice. Very nice. Never knew that. I learn something knew every day..*sniff* It's true!.
    Yeah, Bye.

Otaku crimson is off to a good start crimson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfleaf View Post
    The English language has many words that come from other language, which we use in every day life. I like how English language is mixed with other language words because its what makes English so easy to know by the words that are taken from other language.
    haha... i agree... the word boondocks was taken from my language... in filipino it's bundok or mountain heh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sazuka View Post
    German fact of the day:

The name 'hamburger' actually came from the place it was invented, Hamburg, Germany.
    well, i know it's history... but still... it's funny to think about it... XP

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmyloser View Post
    Let's see...

The thingy for bluetooth is blue.
    Mexican Hamburgers have ham,bacon && pineapple.
    The rest..I dunno.

English will be the #1 speaking language in China, and China will be the #1 english speaking country. Shocker.
    well... if you're basing it on the logo... where do you find the tooth in the logo of the bluetooth?!

really? mexican hamburgers do have ham?! cool! i stand corrected then... haha.
    i'll choose to love whoever i wish to love and nobody can stop me from doing so ----

crimson
    edited from SamBakZa.net

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

The word isn't funny it's fun. It's a lot of fun to find out the origin of words like:
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Being what the average eggplant looked like in a variety of colors. (Who's idea was it to breed them into those nasty large ones anyway?)

or:

Quote Originally Posted by Sazuka View Post
    German fact of the day:

Much like Salisbury steak or Worcestershire sauce or for that matter french fries since they were actually supposedly invented in France in the 1840's as "pomme frites" and as such were originally known as french fried potatoes. To "french fry" something used to mean to deep fry it in the French fashion, "frites"=deep-fried. (Potato chips were invented in the US however.)

The "sandwich" is named after the 4th Earl of Sandwich who is credited with inventing it because he didn't wish to stop what he was doing long enough to go eat. (Who knows what it is he was actually doing since he was a complete libertine and a member of the Hellfire club as well as an avid politician.)

The French word for fish isn't poison it is "poisson" (pronounced pouah-sone) originally from the latin "piscis".

A "cake" originally meant something round and "caked" was something thickly encrusted. To eat cake was to eat a poor mans food.

Mustard comes from the Latin "mustum"/new wine, since it was originally made with the seeds of unfermented grapes. The use of the "mustard" seed instead came later around the 1200's and was first used as a medicine. Mustard plaster anyone? If you don't know what that is be glad. Before antibiotics everyone knew.

I love language. It's so much FUN!

You're on your own with Bluetooth though. Company names are a whole 'nother ballgame.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast