+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: what is funny about the english language?

Newbie Naomi Vaine is off to a good start Naomi Vaine's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: what is funny about the english language?

lol what about us trying to out-do aisa by making our own sushi. and fortune cookies were most certtainly not made in china...
    I think I've known you all along.
    I just lost your face in the crowed for a while.
    I think I've been holding my breath all my life, until you found me here tonight.
    So ask me now and I'll run away with you.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Neither of which actually has anything to do with language but culture. What can I say, the US is a HUGE melting pot. We accept anyone's culture and make it our own; England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, not to mention Japan, China, and now India. Who's next?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Kimfamous is off to a good start
    Thanks

I like how yew can do anyfing yew wants to the engrish language and people can still get ze general idea of what yew arr saying

Newbie Naomi Vaine is off to a good start Naomi Vaine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Neither of which actually has anything to do with language but culture. What can I say, the US is a HUGE melting pot. We accept anyone's culture and make it our own; England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, not to mention Japan, China, and now India. Who's next?
    that was exactly my point, Arrianna. we're theives.
    I think I've known you all along.
    I just lost your face in the crowed for a while.
    I think I've been holding my breath all my life, until you found me here tonight.
    So ask me now and I'll run away with you.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Vaine View Post
    that was exactly my point, Arrianna. we're theives.
    How can we exactly be thieves if the US whose population comes from all over the world and made up of hundreds of nations and thousands of cultures? We are not stealing as it is being brought over.
    Language wise, the English Language is primarily made up of German, French, Italian, Roman, Greek, and Latin. These languages were chosen do in part of their nations proximity to each other and there for wanted to create a comen language they could share when speaking to each other with out the need of a translator. English was meant to be a neutral language. Other languages were added in later to what we have today.

One of my favorite historical events of what started as an English gesture because I find to be funny is one we all know... The middle finger... Back in the day when British and French were at war with each other, the French when capturing British prisoners would cut off the middle finger of the British archers because they feared their skill with the longbow and other bow type weapons. So when doing prisoner exchanges the French would usually trade a captive British archer because he could no longer be a threat with a bow. So the British archers, before going into battle against the French, would give them the finger and shout f*** you. To taunt and insult the French. The middle finger has no sexual reference to the 'F' word other then it was commonly used with the fraise. So the true meaning of the middle finger means bring death from a far, but sense it was used so heavily with the 'F' phrase the sexual taunt and insult stuck. That is why it is considered such a bad insult and taunt because of it's relation with the middle finger which is in fact a death threat.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

You're right.
    Additionally, it's not like the english language is the only language which is 'stealing', if you put it that way. There are sooo many english words I use in my everyday life when speaking german, impossible to write all of them down. Of course you cannot compare it to the english language (since there are many different cultures and languages coming together) - it's similar in every language though.
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3