+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 22

Thread: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

  1. #9
    Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nowhere, Yet Somewhere....
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts

    Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

    Wow, Black History Month came a bit early, didn't it? MLK did plenty good for the nation as far as Civil Rights go. Shxt, nowadays, other than ghetto & law problems , Black People have become quite influential in society these days.
    They seem to have a lockdown on sports, that's for sure.
    All that shxt they went through seems to be completely repaid Karma-wise. All and all, Black ppl have been in a good era to succeed since the 70's...........they just gotta get over themselves in the end.
    And this is just my observation over the years. My point of view. If I said something wrong, ah...........freedom of speech, dammit!
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

  2. #10
    AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Protecting my loved one.
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

    Perhaps, if MLK had not died, he might have helped laid the foundations to tackle the problem of Ghettos and poverty. He may have even got into a high position in the govt to help deal the issue of racism and other problems. MLK will always be remember for what he had help to do. I say help because what started was when a black woman had refused to give up her seat to a white person.

    Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

  3. #11
    Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where sence means nothing...
    Posts
    310
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

    The nation would be differnt in fact I wish he did live. I beleve if MLK did live alot of thing that happen today would not be happening. Back in the 50's and the 60's black people would be more or less fearful of white people and as the years have gone by it has switched. Now if you say something even remotely offencive some ones going to call it raciest. Iv been called a "cracker" before and I just say the guys being an ass. The reason why I say this is because I believe he could have stop this from happening.
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

  4. #12
    Newbie axel.k11 may be famous one day axel.k11 may be famous one day axel.k11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The World That Never Was
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

    I think that MLK. would have eliminated segregation completely and done something to make whites respect blacks and blacks respect whites. For instance, maybe he or another black started a successful business that many whites worked at and were paid a good wage. That would have made blacks more respected. Also, maybe he would have run for President and won! As President I think he would have made all rights equal for everyone, including women. I think he would have been the only candidate for black people along with Malcolm X to compete for president, simply because he was able to make a change.

  5. #13
    Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In solitude
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

    If he didnt get shot, we would'e been had a black president!!!!
    yup yup!!!!!
    but god bless his soul, but ima be the first black/spanish presidnet baby!!

    Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

  6. #14
    Otaku Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

    we'd never hear the end of "is it because i'm black?" or "why u hatin' on me?" but this is just personal opinion. considering the fact these phrases are said non-stop these days to begin with. take the drug traffic for example. the black guys are the ones getting arrested on Cops and in real life. and they always say one of the two phrases. i always think to myself, "well if u weren't the one doing the stupid shit then maybe u'd be left alone." i take this from personal experience. cuz i indeed have gotten my ass thrown on squad car hoods and the whole nine yards. so it ain't just them black folks.

  7. #15
    Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Posts
    364
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

    I have to agree that he probably wouldn't have the historic significance that he does if he wasn't shot. I don't think he'd fade into obscurity, but just that his name would have as much meaning behind it as it does.

    I don't think that much would have really changed if he hadn't been shot. He was one man, and one man can only do so much. It was up to the black and white people to try and fix the problem. Dr. King simply became the embodiment for that movement. If the rights movement died with Dr. King, that's saying something pretty sad for the black community (because it would be saying that they couldn't take up their own cause). And I don't think that's true. He helped put into motion the movement, which can only be carried by the people. Whether or not he died shouldn't have affected that movement, it should have carried on (and it did).

    Of course, it hasn't been fully achieved, because there are still areas where racism exists and you still see racial profiling, but I don't think if M.L.K had lived, things would be much different. Because then you're placing too much importance on one man. The power for reform isn't held in one man, it's in the people.

    Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

  8. #16
    Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    1,043
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: What if...

    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro View Post
    Well I think most of us would have liked to still see him on tv alive, but the question is, what do you think will be different today if he was still alive or get to lived another 10, 20 years?
    I think I'd also agree with others that Martin Luther King's death was a wake-up call. It shocked people into doing something. However, my personal opinion is, that whether he died or not, America would have eventually changed for the better, although it is impossible to say whether it would have happened sooner or later had he lived.

    Quote Originally Posted by axel.k11
    Also, maybe he would have run for President and won! As President I think he would have made all rights equal for everyone, including women. I think he would have been the only candidate for black people along with Malcolm X to compete for president, simply because he was able to make a change.
    Nah. You're going off into wonderland now. Martin Luther is just a preacher. I extremely doubt that he would have even given a though to run for presidency. His cares and thoughts lie not in that of politics, but in social institutions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubz
    I have to agree that he probably wouldn't have the historic significance that he does if he wasn't shot. I don't think he'd fade into obscurity, but just that his name would have as much meaning behind it as it does.
    Now, I'd go as far to say that getting shot in time of crisis does have an effect, especially when it causes a grand impact on people's hearts and minds. However, I think King still would have gone down with the same historic significance that he has now. Getting shot didn't make Martin Luther King great. His views, speeches, and motivation gave the meaning behind his name.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubz
    I don't think that much would have really changed if he hadn't been shot. He was one man, and one man can only do so much. It was up to the black and white people to try and fix the problem. Dr. King simply became the embodiment for that movement. If the rights movement died with Dr. King, that's saying something pretty sad for the black community (because it would be saying that they couldn't take up their own cause). And I don't think that's true. He helped put into motion the movement, which can only be carried by the people. Whether or not he died shouldn't have affected that movement, it should have carried on (and it did).
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubz
    Of course, it hasn't been fully achieved, because there are still areas where racism exists and you still see racial profiling
    Well, that's to be expected. I doubt that the world will ever be truly free of racial hate and discrimination, the same way other evils such as stealing, lying, and so on will stick around till the end.
    Last edited by Silverskater145; Nov 15, 2006 at 11:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who shot Ryoji Kaji?
    By kantichaoslord in forum Spoiler Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 01, 2006, 04:49 PM
  2. The bullets you shot me with
    By Blade X in forum Poems
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jun 09, 2006, 09:39 AM
  3. Would you take your shot at love????
    By The Truth in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Mar 25, 2006, 09:51 AM
  4. Screen shot
    By dude101 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 13, 2006, 11:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts