+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What if... (Dr. King Jr. did not get shot at Memphis?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
    I have to agree that he probably wouldn't have the historic significance that he does if he wasn't shot. I don't think he'd fade into obscurity, but just that his name would have as much meaning behind it as it does.
    Ok, perhaps he wouldn't be obsure. Mind you I would like anyone to name 3 other winners of the Nobel Peace Prize in the 60's without looking it up and 2 other Leaders of the Civil Rights (for blacks) besides the 4 that have already been mentioned again without looking them up. If he wouldn't be obscure he would either be really close to it or in the same company as the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

I do believe his death is what caused american's to wake up to the whole thing during the era. But if he was stil alive i think some things would be different.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    If he wouldn't be obscure he would either be really close to it or in the same company as the Rev. Jesse Jackson.
    I guess it would depend on where he would have taken the situation. Jesse Jackson really is just white noise now when it comes to situations. They pull him out for political rallies and stuff, but he doesn't have that much pull anymore because he's been so over publicized.

I mean, whenever any sort of rally for rights shows up (or it seems pretty much any political rally these days), you'll have a good chance of seeing Jesse Jackson. But he's really only a footnote now to these movements, because in the news you just hear "and a bunch of people staged a demonstration today......oh, and Jesse Jackson was there too."

I wonder if Dr. King would have worn out in the public eye, the same as Jesse Jackson.

However, I think King still would have gone down with the same historic significance that he has now. Getting shot didn't make Martin Luther King great.
    I can't say it would be the exact same historic significance if he lived. I agree that getting shot didn't make him great. It did however, make him eternal. It was seen as him dying for the cause, which made King a martyr.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Newbie black mage may be famous one day black mage may be famous one day black mage's Avatar
    Thanks

i think if he had'nt been shot the america we live in today would be a very different place and we would have already had a black president.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by axel.k11 View Post
    I think that MLK. would have eliminated segregation completely and done something to make whites respect blacks and blacks respect whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by black mage View Post
    i think if he had'nt been shot the america we live in today would be a very different place and we would have already had a black president.
    Whoa whoa whoa. Slow your roll, fellas. Whether Dr. Martin Luther King died or not has no influence on what is always to be. What I mean is, there will always be segregation and racism affluent throughout the world. And not only between Whites and Blacks, but with all races.

I still think Dr. King would have had the same influence dead or alive, no greater or worse. His mission was to motivate and move the people into making a change, and that's what he did. Otherwise, it's not like America was going to change into a social utopia. As I stated above, the racism we find today would still have existed.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145 View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. Slow your roll, fellas. Whether Dr. Martin Luther King died or not has no influence on what is always to be. What I mean is, there will always be segregation and racism affluent throughout the world. And not only between Whites and Blacks, but with all races.

I still think Dr. King would have had the same influence dead or alive, no greater or worse. His mission was to motivate and move the people into making a change, and that's what he did. Otherwise, it's not like America was going to change into a social utopia. As I stated above, the racism we find today would still have existed.
    Yeah I think one thing people keep thinking is that, Dr. King only did it for African Americans. The truth was what he did it helped all of the minority groups. As a matter of fact, I think when he was shot, he was at a rally for laborers' rights.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3