+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Is Resonably Offensive

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

What Is Resonably Offensive

I was talking to my parents a few days ago, both of whom I respect. They mentioned they rented the Movie Milk about Harvey Milk. They knew what it was about before renting it though, and of course knew full well that Mr. Milk was gay.

They then went on to tell me how offensive the movie was, and how they couldn't take watching it after awhile because of the same-sex romance sequences. It jogged my memory from a few years earlier when people I worked with went out of their way to go stop by and see some gay Korean soldiers who were sharing the same rack.

In all these situations the people who were offended went out of their way to see what they considered immoral behavior. Those two stand out as vivid examples in my mind but there are more I can think of. I think it is unreasonable for people to get offended by something they seek out. If you don't like seeing gay people make out you shouldn't rent movies that have that. If you feel there is too much violence in Television you should not watch violent television. I Think People more so just want a reason to complain about something.

Otaku POOHEAD189 is off to a good start POOHEAD189's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What Is Resonably Offensive

I see that all the time. I remember when a few friends of mine wanted to look up something disgusting (I wont say what), and they threw up afterwards and started playing the blaming game on which one of them suggesting looking at it first. People today need sense enough to know what they should be curious about. As they say, be careful what you wish for (or seek out).
    Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Though this really depends on what you mean by 'Reasonably Offensive'. After all, it wasn't that long ago when the majority of people felt the same way over inter-racial kissing. (The first one that was actually shown in US TV was in a certain 'Star Trek' episode, back in the 1960s...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie iNonLemon is off to a good start iNonLemon's Avatar
    Thanks

I deal with same sex situations around the school every day (no, I'm not gay) but you get used to it... I have gay family members but I still love them like there's nothing wrong with them
    XBL GT: TFT NonLemon

Yes, I have brought Lemon back!!

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Though this really depends on what you mean by 'Reasonably Offensive'. After all, it wasn't that long ago when the majority of people felt the same way over inter-racial kissing. (The first one that was actually shown in US TV was in a certain 'Star Trek' episode, back in the 1960s...)

Valid point, and what I should have said is when is it reasonable to be offended. That is really my point is that you have the responsibility to avoid things that may offend you. Provided those things are not obvious violations of your normal rights. Obviously loud music is one thing. Skateboarders blocking off your street is another and there are a few other things as well. But the point is like people who watch TV complaining it is too violent. TV is not a necessity. You don't have to watch one. And that is what I am getting at is I know what offends people and can understand it but I cannot get why people continiously but themselves face to face with what they hate. A similiar situation happened here on teh forum. We had an interracial relationship topic, and many people who clicked on the link and read teh entries were offended.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally accept all people of all ethnicites, creeds, and religions. You make a good point Beast, those people find their dislikes fascinating and basically they don't practice what they preach. I don't like terrorists and I'm not going to casually walk near them and see what they are doing. Another thing, imagine how uncomfortable people feel when they are being watched out of curiousity? I know how it feels and it feels terrible.

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

I really do not understand the logic of renting Milk is you can't tolerate same sex scenes. The ENTIRE movie is revolved around it.

That being said, I agree. Don't walk into things that are going to piss you off and complain about it. I didn't go see Twilight, BECAUSE the films and books offend me. I'm not going to go look it up on Youtube or rent it.

+ Reply to Thread