+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: The World Ending

Newbie angel of shadowed secrets may be famous one day angel of shadowed secrets may be famous one day angel of shadowed secrets's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    well if we don't end up killing each other we'll eventually kill ourselves ( most likely through our continuation of environmental damage) and if those things don't get us then in a few million years (I think) our sun is going to go super nova and destroy us anyway
    good point. i wasnt aware that any one else thought about it like that....

So now all people who care about the environment are tree huggers?
    we'll thats the usual thing that I get.
    I care about environment yet, I don't go around hugging trees.
    How hard is it to turn off a light when it's not in use? How hard is it to turn off a dripping tap?

Not all people that care about the environment are these tree huggers.
    I actually believe that these 'tree huggers' aren't doing much at all.
    The ones who are doing something are doing it in there own homes, or the ones who are teaching others about the natural environments - like all my lecturers.

And also we don't know if that 'apocalyptic heating' is going to occur, some scientist believe that we are fast tracking the next ice age.

I'm sorry but to believe that it's not happening, is hard for me to believe.
    Australia is facing the worst drought in 100 years,we are running out of water, due to the change in weather pattern which scientist believe is caused by enhanced global warming.

Our barrier reef is dieing, due to the increases water temp.
    And I personally believe that we don't have a winter anymore, never in my life have I seen such a warm winter this year

80% is absorbed into the ocean? I'm not sure about that figure, but did you know that we a killing off those creatures ( plankton, phytoplankton, I dunno but i'll need to know before my exam on fri x_X lol) that absorb that carbon? Did you know that they trees can no longer take the amount of carbon that we are pumping partly because we a destroying forests and partly that there is too much carbon in the atmosphere?

And I believe that we are going to end up killing ourselves before the sun goes. from war or something.
    Maybe food insecruity, no more fresh water?
    good point i wasnt aware that any one else thought about it like that.
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Nov 03, 2006 at 04:51 PM.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The World Ending

So now all people who care about the environment are tree huggers?
    we'll thats the usual thing that I get.
    I care about environment yet, I don't go around hugging trees.
    How hard is it to turn off a light when it's not in use? How hard is it to turn off a dripping tap?
    i agree with that and i never said you were a tree hugger.

Not all people that care about the environment are these tree huggers.
    I actually believe that these 'tree huggers' aren't doing much at all.
    The ones who are doing something are doing it in there own homes, or the ones who are teaching others about the natural environments - like all my lecturers.

And also we don't know if that 'apocalyptic heating' is going to occur, some scientist believe that we are fast tracking the next ice age.

I'm sorry but to believe that it's not happening, is hard for me to believe.
    Australia is facing the worst drought in 100 years,we are running out of water, due to the change in weather pattern which scientist believe is caused by enhanced global warming.

Our barrier reef is dieing, due to the increases water temp.
    And I personally believe that we don't have a winter anymore, never in my life have I seen such a warm winter this year
    so sorry to hear that, but have you considered that without the ozone layer you are heating up? the ozone layer doesn't just block UV, it stops a little heat too, thats what most scienists think is really causeing australia's warming.

80% is absorbed into the ocean? I'm not sure about that figure, but did you know that we a killing off those creatures ( plankton, phytoplankton, I dunno but i'll need to know before my exam on fri x_X lol) that absorb that carbon? Did you know that they trees can no longer take the amount of carbon that we are pumping partly because we a destroying forests and partly that there is too much carbon in the atmosphere?
    these figures are for this year, the amounts used to be almost 100%. Yes i know all that crap, thats why the environmentalists are trying to stop it

elieve that we are going to end up killing ourselves before the sun goes. from war or something.
    Maybe food insecruity, no more fresh water?
    so do i, but not from global heating.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

ozone and global warming is two totally different things.

Ozone stop radiation from getting through, yes prehaps do to the lack of it does let heat through, but it's not the ozone that keeps the heat in - it's enhanced global warming that does.

Also ozone has nothing to do with whether it rains or not, the climate does. Therefore climate change or enhanced global warming is the most likely culprit.

And ozone levels fluctuate depend on seasons and times. (especially in the antartica)
    The most recent graph I saw actualled showed that the amount of ozone in the atmosphere is increasing, whether it continues to increase, is another thing, I guess it depends how much cfc's we keep using.

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

The O-Zone layer doesn't block heat. It blocks UV radiation and some Gamma rays which induce heat in objects by speeding up the vibration velocity of the particles which make up matter (radiation is just another form of energy, and the higher the frequency, the more efficient the waves are at transferring energy).

Heat cannot be passed in the vacuum of space the way it is on Earth (convection and conduction), because there is nothing out there in space (and by that I mean there is on average 1 hydrogen molecule per 3 cubic feet of space). As a result, there is no matter for heat to transfer through to heat up an object (hence why the temperature differences are so extreme-they are dependent only on the radiation in the various forms which are produced by the heavenly bodies to induce heat). So if you block the source of photons from the sun, of course anything in shadow is going to close in on Absolute Zero.

However, most of the harmful radiation from the sun is blocked out by Earth's electromagnetic field, the ionosphere, and the various other levels of Earth's atmosphere. Even then, stray neutrinos still manage to pass through and penetrate lifeforms on the surface, but just not at a rate high enough to be harmful.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

you still supported my point when you kindly pointed out that gamma rays cause heat and are partially blocked by the ozone layer. many thanx toecutter.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

ozone doesn't block heat but ehanced global warming does.
    And it still doesn't determine whether it rains or not

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

ozone doesn't block heat but ehanced global warming does.
    And it still doesn't determine whether it rains or not
    gwenibe... try reading what has been said by science instead of just repeating yourself. Saying it twice doesn't make you any more convincing. In order to prove your point you need to explain exactly what global warming is and how it works as compared with ozone since ozone does actually block rays which would otherwise heat the earth once they reached it. Perhaps a comparison with Venus?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

we CAN look at past records and know that the temperature will drop.
    The earth suffered from a "little ice age," back between the 14th century to around 1850, with one of the coldest years being 1816. It was so cold that the Thames River in England froze over (they actually held carnivals on the river). They had been going through a cold spell for a couple of centures, but what happened in 1816 was caused by volcanic eruptions. In 1815 the volcano Tambora over in Indonesia erupted, spreading over a million and a half tons of dust and debris into the air (the Dust Veil Index measures the amount of impact an eruption has on the climate, and Tambora was rated 1,500 DVI....in comparison to Mount St. Helens which measured 1 DVI).

So they had themselves a chilly ol' time back then....it wasn't a full blown ice age, but it was the nearest thing to it.

However, what is happening now is possibly due in part to the ocean current slowing down. Since global warming is causing the icebergs to melt, it is displacing the regular amount of salt water in the ocean at an increased rate. Warm water from temperate regions follow a current stream north, up towards the artic, and as they travel the water becomes more dense, and sinks deeper in the water....this cold water then loops around back to the tropical areas and is heated up (wherein the water moves higher to the surface) and then the circulation continues again...warm to cold...cold to warm....

But since the icebergs are melting faster than normal, they are throwing off the regular levels of salt water, and making the water less dense. The water coming in from the tropics isn't able to sink as usual, and it's throwing a kink in the circulation system. The current is slowing down, which is completely messing up the regulatory function of the ocean, and also the migration of marine life.

We do get humboldt squid around BC (they are large squid, which hang around california mostly), but not in great quantities. However, two summers ago, the temperature of the water completely threw the humboldt squid off their regular migration, so BC had a truckload of these suckers floating around...and they decided to stay longer than they should have, because they started dying off in droves, and beaches around here were just chalk full of dead squid. Now, you could say "not a big deal," but the creatures that regularly eat these suckers, or are themselves eaten by these squids, were denied their snack (and, or, being snacked).

Everything really does work in a cycle. If you screw up one end, the other one is going to screw up as well. The earth has gone through magnetic changes, temperature changes, and any other changes you can name. Each time, creatures die out, and the earth starts again. So is global warming that bad? No...not really. It was going to happen anyhow. But chances are, humanity has increased the global warming rate from what it naturally would have been, and have therefore put the nails in our own coffin.

The way humanity is going right now, it is not sustainable. We're having surplus births, and not enough deaths to equal it out. That means more competition for food, while at the same time more land being developed to house people...which in turn means less farm land to grow food....
    So......generally....we're screwed. No matter which way you look at it, whether optimistic or pessimistic, the earth cannot sustain itself at the current rate we are trying to take it.

As for humanity somehow jumping into spaceships and taking off to another planet, it's very unlikely. We're coming up to the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11's space walk (1969-2009), and NASA still can't send a ship into space without it exploding or something falling off....so don't get your heart set on flying deep into space. And, due to the generous cutbacks given to NASA by the Bush government, chances are they're not gonna solve how to get off this rock and to another earthlike planet anytime soon. Our best bet is the Russians, and that's still not saying much.

So in short...we're all gonna die. Everyone alive now will die before global warming really makes an impact, but our children's children's children's children might be having fun with extreme global warming.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast