+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Would you help someone who refuses to help themselves?

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Would you help someone who refuses to help themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinku no kage View Post
    ...although I'm not really one to talk.^^;
    Same here.

~! Sometimes I entreat help for the littlest things, which I could carry out myself. I am just lazy every now and then. But, my requests get turned down on most to all occasions anyways... There's no excuse for laziness, I figured ~ In any case.. I would gladly offer a helping hand to someone who cannot manually assist oneself due to some physical or mental disability or is in a difficult/tough situation. Otherwise, I would except the other person to learn to help himself/herself after being helped once or twice. We all need help sometimes, true, but we should make effort to take part in it ourselves as well, only then we learn.

But to tell you the truth... for me, whether I would continue to help that someone really depends on who that "someone" is, and the situation he/she is in.

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

i would try to help them if I could of course like they say you cant help those who dont help themselves.

All I could really do is show them the way that is better than the way they are going and hope that they follow the right path.
    I wish I could get them to listen more than they do but you cant help it all the times.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

No. If people absolutely refuse, then there's obviously nothing much I can do to help either. But if they THINK they CAN'T help themselves, then it's worth a shot since there is this little glimmer of a WANT to help themselves. I believe that change comes mostly from within, and it's really up to people themselves whether or not they do change.

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

People often said I had a kind heart, so of course I got took advantage of in many cases... I also had my share of help so who am I too talk.??

I know the statement "you can't help those who don't help themselves" which is true, but I also like to think, if they don't/can't help themselves then who will.?? Especially, if that person is someone you care about... Yea' they can be a "free loader" or a "henderance of life", but people tend to go through that transitional stage/period in life where one is trying to find ones' self & in many cases they get stuck in that stage/period because they don't know where to go &/or afraid to head to that next level...

My thing is this... you do what you can for that person, if it is reasonably possible (don't go bankrupt or anything like that)... Help them & let them know how much they can do better & how much they are taking from you & your life... (I would say tell them what to do, but who actually likes that)... The reason I say this is because, if you was their main support & cut them off then most likely they will find some other support who might not even care for their well being or keep finding "support systems" hopping around & will never feel the means to better themselves...

And if they have a conscience & soul they will better themselves "hopefully & eventually"...

I will have more to say cause I know people will disagree on my views on this issue I am just "acting lazy" right now maybe I should get some help... ^_^ lol

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Otaku crimson is off to a good start crimson's Avatar
    Thanks

you can't help a person who refuses to help themselves

is a totally WRONG quotation... i believe that you can help anyone. you have the capability to change a person's mind... i mean that you could help change the world just by pointing a person to the right direction...

it can help save lives you know... have a heart to open up and reach out...
    i'll choose to love whoever i wish to love and nobody can stop me from doing so ----

crimson
    edited from SamBakZa.net

abc
    Newbie abc is off to a good start abc's Avatar
    Thanks

i experienced something like this,
    i had a friend we were close actually, we encouraged each other and helped each other. then she started to change.
    She started to come to school less often,and made lame excuses for it, always lying to me for no reason and expect me to gullibly accept it. then when i started to hang out with my other friend (who was her best friend as well but pushed away) she would tell me that im gossiping about her and im a bad freind. She constantly told me that
    then she would apolpgize for it and say that she was experiencing problems at home and its impacting her academic life. when i tried to help her but she would never try to make the effort in order to help herself. Then she would call me a bad friend.
    it was frustrating
    now she dropped out of school because she migrated and she tried to call me but i brushed her off because i dont want to experience that heartache again.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inuruto View Post
    Yea' they can be a "free loader" or a "henderance of life", but people tend to go through that transitional stage/period in life where one is trying to find ones' self & in many cases they get stuck in that stage/period because they don't know where to go &/or afraid to head to that next level...
    Yeah, but how long is that "transitional period" supposed to last? I mean you can only say you're trying to find your place for so long. After a while, you have to either have been freeloading or just lacking the common sense to do anything with your life.

I don't mind helping people, but I don't like being taken advantage of. Some people think that kindness is a weakness and they prey on it. Once I've helped you enough and you're still asking for things like, money or ways to support your habits--which I'm sure I won't approve--then I gotta cut the cord, man. I work hard to support myself, I don't need to be supporting those who don't work to help themselves.

Devoted Otaku BlueFox1 may be famous one day BlueFox1 may be famous one day BlueFox1's Avatar
    A place called Midnight Sun know as Tranquility
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Yeah, but how long is that "transitional period" supposed to last? I mean you can only say you're trying to find your place for so long. After a while, you have to either have been freeloading or just lacking the common sense to do anything with your life.

I don't mind helping people, but I don't like being taken advantage of. Some people think that kindness is a weakness and they prey on it. Once I've helped you enough and you're still asking for things like, money or ways to support your habits--which I'm sure I won't approve--then I gotta cut the cord, man. I work hard to support myself, I don't need to be supporting those who don't work to help themselves.
    I have to agree with you about being taken advantage of! I mean when you do something nice for a person or help then get back on there feet from whatever it maybe, they become sedentary and expect you do everything for them. Some people see kindness as a weakness and I for one am disgusted with these types of people! I mean I love my family "refering to the orginal starting post of this thread" and I would do anything to help them, but when you constantly as me for money so you can go and blow it on a new pair of shoes that's ridiculous, I bust my but everyday at work and I would like to spend my money on things I need and ocassionally things I want. So in short what I'm trying to say is if I help you and constantly rely on me to get what you need, then telling you to get up off you lazy *** is appropriate!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast