Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you comfortable with hugging?

Newbie Nothingface may be famous one day Nothingface may be famous one day Nothingface's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you comfortable with hugging?

I've noticed lately that alot of my guy friends hug. I honestly have no problem with that, but what I'm wondering is do you guys find it uncomfortable, or anything for guys to hug?

They always tell me it's called a "man-hug" where you pat three times on the back and let go. They only do it when they haven't seen each other for a while, when there's a party or a celebration, or one of them is feeling depressed. I think it's hilarious, but cute.

Other guys seem to think it's gay, but I always argue it's not.

On a second discussion for the thread, I always hug my guy friends, no matter what, if they're close. People seem to get the idea that I'm either a slut or we're a couple. Do you agree with this? Discuss.

He speaks to me through sounds and bells.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are you comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface View Post
    I've noticed lately that alot of my guy friends hug. I honestly have no problem with that, but what I'm wondering is do you guys find it uncomfortable, or anything for guys to hug?

They always tell me it's called a "man-hug" where you pat three times on the back and let go. They only do it when they haven't seen each other for a while, when there's a party or a celebration, or one of them is feeling depressed. I think it's hilarious, but cute.

Other guys seem to think it's gay, but I always argue it's not.

On a second discussion for the thread, I always hug my guy friends, no matter what, if they're close. People seem to get the idea that I'm either a slut or we're a couple. Do you agree with this? Discuss.

I don't anything wrong with that, heck in the middle east man hug when they meet. Although, here in America that would be a gay act to do. Shaking hands would be the most acceptable method of greeting in our American society.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

I often hug my friends man or women. I once or twice surprised some office workers of the female gender with a hug...though they didn't appreciate or were somewhat surprised. A hand shake really seems the only "formal" thingy accepted as Ketaro said. I'd say for good friends who are "open minded' and I do mean this in the manner that they accept the manners of others without putting prejudice on who you are and what you do. Many people today seem to feel offended when you do something out of the norm or go beyond the "formal" way....which I think is not a good way of being in a growing society, people should be more friendly and try less to backstab someone else just to get a better position in life....I'm getting off topic so I'll stop here :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

I often hug my friends man or women. I once or twice surprised some office workers of the female gender with a hug...though they didn't appreciate or were somewhat surprised. A hand shake really seems the only "formal" thingy accepted as Ketaro said. I'd say for good friends who are "open minded' and I do mean this in the manner that they accept the manners of others without putting prejudice on who you are and what you do. Many people today seem to feel offended when you do something out of the norm or go beyond the "formal" way....which I think is not a good way of being in a growing society, people should be more friendly and try less to backstab someone else just to get a better position in life....I'm getting off topic so I'll stop here :P
    I agree with you. Back in the old days man hugging another man as a greeting was commonly used. In now days with the gay thing going on people start thinking that just because you hug your buddy you are gay. If a father hugs his grown up son, would that be that consider gayish?

Newbie Nothingface may be famous one day Nothingface may be famous one day Nothingface's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    If a father hugs his grown up son, would that be that consider gayish?
    Anyone who considers that gay has a very very sick mind...
    He speaks to me through sounds and bells.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Bah, I don't care what others think. When I first heard the word "EMO" and learned that people had banned poetry on AnimeLayer because the staff thought it was stupid....I simply came back to AO to start writing poetry again...so it was good for AO since I came back, but sad that I had to leave one of my original forums that I started my internet life upon.

Though there is one interesting point my philosophical teacher brought up through a text from Allan Bloom. People today are "open" to things, but closed to experiencing new things, meaning they are more individualists in their manner of living to the point of considering everything "relative", this word meaning that people don't care about other cultures as they are forcibly different, soknowing a bit about them is good, but to downright try to live them is out of the question. We live in our tinny bubbles and taking in what the news and other media wants to put into us and ignore what others say and if they insist even the slightest to change our routines, we blow up in a fashion that becomes an irritation just to be in contact with something different from our own little puny selfish selves.....

Quebec is a province within Canada that has many cultures from different nations coming here. We are in general very open in all the manners open means, but not everyone is like in any other place. Sometimes these people who have different rules wish to impose upon us their cultures so that they can live well, sometimes we accept compromises to fit their needs, as long as it doesn't obstruct what we consider essential not to change.

Back to hugging, this is an act of understanding and greeting for some. A strange comparison, yet not in the manner of greeting, but a form of protection. There was a very young child who brought a knife at school. The teachers wanted to take it from him, but he didn't want to and said that it was his religion that told him to keep it. His parents even went to court to clear this out, and it was finally accepted. A hug will probably not get you into court since it's not against the law, unless the other considers it an agression, but this is to point out that every culture is different and in every culture there are variuos forms of greetings that people have and not everyone uses the same forms for the same reasons.

Hugging is "relative" as there can be many definitions of why someone will hug another person and because of this, many prejudice can come from a simple act as this......zzz
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't mind hugging a man it feels good to me ^_^ but I think guys don't like it just so they don't look or act gay.

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see anything wrong in men hugging another men or woman and vise versa, if it's sincere. It's a sound social behaviour, I believe ^^ But I myself am not into hugging girls other than my mother and two sisters. Guys, no, I don't hug them much either, expect my father. I commonly bow with my palms holded against each other, primarily to my elders.. (^_^) Haha, my maternal grandmother would give me a "pinchi" if I were to hug her randomly. -_-;;

P.S. Maxi, I am so glad to see you post often like this again. ^^

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast