+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Tightwad?

Otaku desxms may be famous one day desxms may be famous one day desxms's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you a Tightwad?

I want to know what everybody does to stretch a dollar.

What are the cheap things you do to save money? When do you think it is ok to splurge? Has the recession influenced your spending habits?

I go to dollar stores, I swap books and dvd instead of buying them, I only use cash, I borrow other people's stuff, I cut coupons, I wait for sales after the holidays, I buy stuff used, my favorite word is "FREE".

My brother took a bench left on someone's front yard. I force myself to read "Debtor's Anonymous". I only buy stuff I need.

I don't buy gum anymore since I can't swallow it (saving me a dollar). I buy by the bulk at Costco.

To save on Christmas, I give away stuff I don't want to relatives instead of buying anything new.

I splurge only on bags. I bought a Toki Doki bag which are hard to find. The recession taught me to find free ways of having fun like the library or downloading free stuff.

Most importantly I don't shop with my mom since she hoards everything. (That alone saves me $300)

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are you a Tightwad?

Quote Originally Posted by desxms View Post
    I want to know what everybody does to stretch a dollar.

What are the cheap things you do to save money? When do you think it is ok to splurge? Has the recession influenced your spending habits?

I go to dollar stores, I swap books and dvd instead of buying them, I only use cash, I borrow other people's stuff, I cut coupons, I wait for sales after the holidays, I buy stuff used, my favorite word is "FREE".

My brother took a bench left on someone's front yard. I force myself to read "Debtor's Anonymous". I only buy stuff I need.

I don't buy gum anymore since I can't swallow it (saving me a dollar). I buy by the bulk at Costco.

To save on Christmas, I give away stuff I don't want to relatives instead of buying anything new.

I splurge only on bags. I bought a Toki Doki bag which are hard to find. The recession taught me to find free ways of having fun like the library or downloading free stuff.

Most importantly I don't shop with my mom since she hoards everything. (That alone saves me $300)
    Everything I'll ever need's just 5 to 20 minutes away from me, if I walk all the way. I save a lot on fare that way, plus it's good exercise. Oh, and I just discovered that even just a single taco with plenty of hot sauce from Taco Bell could last me an entire day. With my shrunken allowance and whatnot.

Hope the recession goes away, though. It's only be a matter of time before the novelty that comes with scrimping on cash goes away.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to psychical For This Useful Post:

desxms (Oct 26, 2008)

§-Breakdown-§ Breakout Champion, Bubble Popper Champion Akura13 may be famous one day Akura13's Avatar
    Thanks

The cheap things I do to save money is that I go to the Dollar Store, most of the time I only use cash, and I never, EVER, go to shop with my friends. That alone saves me about 500$. I only buy the important stuff I actually need, and I borrow things, buy used stuff from the stores, get to know the people working at the stores so I get a discount. On Christmas, I give relatives and friends the things I already own and don't want.

The only times I think are 'okay' to spend is on Halloween...and that's only because I can't help myself with the candy...^^' But, that's mostly the ONLY time I really spend alot...

And no, I don't think it did, because I was always like this with my money, and probably always will be...

Phantasmagoria Lives On In The Hearts Of Their Fans, Japanese AND English!
    "Because it's okay to hide your tears." - LM.C (Lovely Mocochang)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Akura13 For This Useful Post:

desxms (Oct 26, 2008)

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

my freind needed a new phone charger, so he went and bought one.

It worked.

So he took his old charger that didnt work and put it into the box he just got for the other charger and took it back for a full refund = D
    Yay-yea?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rook For This Useful Post:

desxms (Oct 26, 2008)

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

i think thats swapping "tightwad" for "cheap-ass". lol I'm all for saving money anywho. As long as everyone's happy its all good.

you must have all the ideas straight out of a thrifty housewife's guidebook :P, i admit, those are interesting ideas.(i spend money on anything and everything, specially on items i dont even use, like a 50dollar wireless adapter,(though i did save $50 on that since it was orig: $100)

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

I refuse to turn on the heat/AC until my fingernails start turning blue/blinking makes me sweat. The summer electric bill isn't so bad, but the winter bill is always sky high.

I won't spend more than 20 bucks on any one article of clothing, and depending on what it is, not even that. Jeans? $20 is a good deal. A T-shirt? No way in hell I'm spending more than 6 bucks. Of course this doesn't extend to formal wear or shoes, but I only buy those when needed.

You have to remember though, many times you get what you pay for. Sometimes it's worth it to buy something a little pricey that will last rather than something cheap you'll have to replace in a few weeks.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gren For This Useful Post:

desxms (Oct 27, 2008)

Otaku Sneakyarrow is off to a good start Sneakyarrow's Avatar
    Thanks

I am in certain things, although I do have a few vices. I just regret that they are expensive vices. The only thing I really buy are games and manga. For anything else I try to just borrow it. Food is provided, as I live in the single solder quarters.

Est Sularis oth Mithas
    Going home soon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakyarrow For This Useful Post:

desxms (Oct 27, 2008)

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I've bought a few manga books before, read them (carefully without bending the binding) and then returned them for a full refund. They weren't good enough to keep anyway.

But nowadays.. I spend too much money on art supplies, dvds, video games, and books... it's a little rediculious, since I don't actually need any of them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sazuka For This Useful Post:

desxms (Oct 27, 2008)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast