Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Culture

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks

Your Culture

Knowledge about their own background, history, their own identity is being lost. This generation of youth doesn't know jack/much about their people and their culture so, how much do you know about own culture (ethnic culture)?

I don't know in depth about mine, but watching Chinese tv series does help. Especially where the setting is ancient China, with the clothing, music, lifestyle etc. Also I get some of the knowledge from my parents and my interest in history does help.

I recently found out about the history of hanfu clothing. Having been lost for 300 years (click on hanfu clothing from my sig for more info). I belong to the Han ethnic group, one of the 56 ethnic group in China - 90% of Chinese in China are Han, which is surprising how hanfu clothing have been lost for so long. I personally find this to be a great discovery of my own culture, not that I don't know about it (from watching tv) just that I didn't know it was "lost" and not many people know about it, most Chinese doesn't even know. I initially thought the disappearance was due to time, you know change of style, but I didn't know the change was forced upon my people by the Manchurians (that was interesting for me). Hanfu clothing often mistaken it from Japanese kimono or traditional Korean clothing. There have been revival of hanfu clothing recently, which gotten me to want to get one.

Yup.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks
    are we talking about culture or traditions.. i guess they pretty much are the same thing. but to me culture is more apart of the general idea's on society, what we think and stuff. but when ur talking about wearing some stuff or cermonies and stuff. i think thats more about traditions and stuff.

anywho, it is true that most people don't know much about their backgrounds. mainly cause of immigrations and because we have taken up the values of that country and we know nothing else cause nobody has told us any different. and well if i was to track down what eithnic group i belong to, well that might get a little confusing, there are so many over in europe and to be honest over the year u could be apart of alot of them.

but if u look at it. what is the purpose unless self identiy to find out about ur lost culture. sure u might have something to brag about but other than that i don't think its much good thinking that far back into the past. so i'm happy enough to just stick with my country's culture, values and stuff. as for traditions well they are interesting, especially other countries.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks
    I am from the Philippines. My knowledge of the Philippines is obtained mostly from what my parents told me, what I barely learned from the times that I went there, and of course, in History class, Philippines is mentioned because it was raped by the Japanese and America saved the day. ...Yay.

American television and crazy pop culture has erased the rest of my barely existant knowledge of the Philippines. If I wanted to read up on things about it, I could always do a search on Wiki or something.

Yeah... I'm a big disgrace, I know. I like being the black sheep.
    Good times.

Pinoy pride?
    I love my girlfriend.

Otaku KuRuMi ^.^ [くるみ] NoiR may be famous one day KuRuMi ^.^ [くるみ] NoiR may be famous one day KuRuMi ^.^ [くるみ] NoiR's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well i'm live in a latin country, i know a lot about my country, even if i didn't want to, i'm forced to.. but it's a fun culture! so i enjoy it =]
    Carpe Diem. Quam minimum credula postero! (:

Wishing, waiting, dreaming..

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks
    I actually know very little of my culture, but I'd like to learn more of it. I'm half Chinese, and do know a bit of the culture, but I can't say that I know a lot. Being born and raised in a western society has definitely distanced me from my mum's cultural beliefs and such. I have a hard time understanding/speaking any form of the Chinese language as it is lol. I'd like to know more though, hence why I try to speak different forms of the Chinese language with my mum whenever I can. It usually turns into chinglish (Chinese/English) though. LOL

Otaku DogDemon may be famous one day DogDemon may be famous one day DogDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well...I know something of my countrys culture...I`ve obtained most of the information from history class and something from my parents...but the thing is...there`s not much culture, cuz we`ve been under foreign authority for almost all the time! The germans, russians, swedish etc. We`ve had a republic for only 15 years...God damn that soviet union !

Finding God is not peaceful.
    Searching God isn`t peaceful.
    The thought that God exists is peaceful enough.
    Believe!

Newbie XiaoVal may be famous one day XiaoVal may be famous one day XiaoVal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Bah~
    I dunno much abt my culture and my family heritage...

Well I'm from singapore...
    A multi-racial country...
    Here it's like a mixed pot of all races...
    But MAYBE we do have a special heritage...
    Just tat it's too commonly seen here to be recongined...

Don't say you know me...

S.E.L - sexy etna lover Baal may be famous one day Baal may be famous one day Baal's Avatar
    Thanks
    hmph bah!

I am a Puerto Rican my culture is eat a lot
    and from here is were the stinking reggeaton came to out of the world
    we play with instruments that american musical bands dont use like maracas. We use african dances and instruments to like the bomba.

but i just dont like it i've been stuck there for 15 years
    i wanna expirience another culture.

perdoname michelle!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast