I'm a muslim .. and as RayMe said it's a very complicated and disciplined religion ... well at first i was born muslim and learned the ways to being that way but later at near fifteen i began thinking about the whole religious thing .. until the the day my decision was made and i abided with Islam proudly and happily till the moment i'm writing this ,which is to be a true muslim (not only by name : someone can't really call himself/herself a muslim (or any other religion) if he/she doesn't do the things that religion requires of his/her own will otherwise it won't be a religion it would be nothing more than worthless routine) .. what i mean doing things needs you to believe in doing it and not just let it be ... and in Islam the most important thing in doing something is the intent behind it and not the thing itself ... (like if you were poor and you want to help other poor people (if you were rich) although you can't because you're one ... that would count a lot - in other words the things thought between oneself and "Allah" and not because that one want his/her name to be heard as the one who did and did ...)
for Quran reading .. i can do it properly since my original language is arabic ... and as you said it contains way too many things to cover a lot of stuff in life ... and most important things to me now is to do the prayers and other essentials (of my own will) and not to commit the seven major sins ...