+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: YouTube, the end is near???

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

YouTube, the end is near???

Grumble Grumble Grumble

It now appears that the Japanese broadcasting networks and anime production studios are finally getting pissed off with the video piracy on YouTube, and are preparing to respond with legal action...

Japan group seeks YouTube copyright system - Yahoo! News

So the question has to be asked... Why hasn't YouTube done more to prevent video piracy, and with over 60% of YouTube video content having licensing issues, how long can YouTube can survivie (now that it has money to sue for) with it's current business model...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: YouTube, the end is near???

I thought things would change when youtube was bought by "the Google".
    Guess not.

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

i bet nothing will happen, youtube will just dump a bunch of vids if things get out of control

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu View Post
    i bet nothing will happen, youtube will just dump a bunch of vids if things get out of control
    YouTube dumped 30,000 Japanese videos last month... this wasn't enough to satisfy the Japanese Publishing group... What they want is a mechanism to PREVENT the posting of copyrighted material, and it's not known if this is even possible....
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah from the way things look right now, it will seem that Google has bought a lemon. Unless they do something about it, they are going to lose a bunch. Without most of the pirated content on youtube, there isn't much that interests me personally.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Flying Ace may be famous one day Flying Ace may be famous one day
    Thanks

I personally think that this will turn out just like Kazaa, Bearshare, Limewire, etc. These programs are quite illegal if you think about it, heck, it's just getting free songs that you should be paying for if you think about it. But I really don't think that anyone is going to be able to stop these programs from being able to share music. I think that this will be the same thing with youtube. I highly doubt that they're going to have to take off the videos or pay a fine or anything like that.
    Last edited by Flying Ace; Dec 06, 2006 at 09:15 PM.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
    I personally think that this will turn out just like Kazaa, Bearshare, Limewire, etc.
    These programs are quite illeagle if you think about it, heck, it's just getting free songs that you should be paying for if you think about it. But I really don't think that anyone is going to be able to stop these programs from being able to share music. I think that this will be the same thing with youtube. I highly doubt that they're going to have to take off the videos or pay a fine or anything like that.
    Kazaa? Since when was YouTube illegal p2p software? Don't be silly. YouTube has merely been lazy in getting rid some of the copyrighted material.

I'm personally divided between the two ends of the spectrum on this issue. I can't understand myself how they've been getting away with this (although lawsuits should prevent any further continuation), but at the same time, I don't want any change. To be honest, I couldn't have caught up in Naruto without YouTube. I've watched Naruto from episodes 45 to 154 and ongoing for a month and a half now. Watching anime on YouTube is considerably faster than downloading, and convenient.

A weird motif that comes out through this story though, is the internet piracy problem. I wonder if people will begin to realize just how troublesome this has begun. Like I've told some of my friends before, YouTube can remove videos, but people will always put them back up. While YouTube should manage the website better and remove the copyrighted material with more vigor, you can only do so much against a society that demands to pirate any which way. At this point, piracy is a problem that cannot be stopped. For every Piracy group (whether it be a website or software) that gets shut down, two more will come up in it's place.

The fact that several companies had a problem with music videos on YouTube is a prime example of why pirating exists in the first place. If it doesn't benefit companies (in $), then they won't bother to benefit us. Music videos come on TV all the time, but it boggles my mind that they actually have a problem with the videos on YouTube. The only difference is, you watch what you want to watch, when you want to watch it. And of course big companies will have a problem with this. They want to mooch off more money, and that can't happen if you can get what you want, when you want. They want you to comply with their rules and standards, but as long as they exist, so will piracy.

Maybe YouTube and the Japanese can work up some sort of scheme. Like a special, paid membership that has permission to some, if not all the copyrighted anime (with higher quality maybe?).
    Last edited by Silverskater145; Dec 06, 2006 at 05:39 PM.

Laid Back Otaku Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: YouTube, the end is near???

oh man, no way...are u serious?...youtube is so awesome it's gonna suck if it's taken away...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast