+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Fired

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

Getting Fired

My mom got fired today because they told her she took too many days off for her fathers funeral. They said she could have 3 days paid and then 2 days non paid. I don't know how many days she took off, and I'm not upset because they fired my mom. I'm more unhappy that we are understaffed and they are firing people for stupid reasons.

Then I was calling my credit card companies today, and changing my address. One of them kind of made me mad, I just called into to change my address, then this lady tries to sell me on some new awesome program, that if I could suspend my account and not have to pay my credit card for up to a year if I was somehow unable to pay, she even played off the hard economic times thing. Which I always pay my credit cards in full each month, no exceptions. I don't really want to go in credit card debit.

As a fellow person who has worked in a call center, which has been trained in selling tactics. She tried to use directional selling, which is don't ask if the customer would like to add it, just telling them you are adding it. So they you elimiate the choice of them telling you "no". I hate when they do that! Which whenever I did sell things, I only sold to people that actually had a use for it. If they called in with text overages, I sold them a text package. If they called in wanted to change something like their address, I wouldn't try to sell them anything.

She talked about how it would be beneficial for me to add it, if I was to lose my job or something in these hard economic times. Which my mom just lost her job, so it kinda hit a nerve with me.

She was all like "I will add that to your account at once for you."
    Then I was like "No, thanks."
    She said, "Why don't you want the offer?"
    I then said "Well, I pay my account off in full each month, as I do with my other cards. I don't need it, I won't use, why would I spend extra money in these hard economic time for it? Plus, I have had my job for a long while now, thank you very much."

Then she started rambling about why I should add it, so I hung up on her. She was wasting my Sunday!
    Last edited by Zev; Aug 30, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Getting Fired

As a call center agent, you should know how much pressure people are put under to sell things. Was the same for me when I was working at Convergys doing Comcast work. Had to sell their digital phone, a service that had a very very poor track record in the area we serviced (Greater Chicago region), yet we were told that we would lose our jobs if we didn't offer it.

And you should know the magic that comes from the question "Can I speak to your manager please?"

Anyways, sorry to hear about your mom.

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Getting Fired

I have only heard bad things about Convergys, I'm sorry you had to work there.

Yeah, I understand the pressure of trying to sell things, but omg, no means no. She shouldn't waste her average handle time, trying to sell me something I fully understand but don't want. And I feel too bad to ask too speak with a supervisor, I know all the complaining they hear call after call. It's crazy, all I ever say is "I'm so sorry about what happened to you." Which means nothing.

You did give me a good idea, there is a Convergys for AT&T around here, my mom could probably get a job there.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

+ Reply to Thread