+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: .avi & .mkv

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: .avi & .mkv

Can I ask a serious question?

Does it really matter? I download fansubs all the time and I get .avi's, .mvk's and occasionally even .oog's. They are all viewable and work great. Unless your encoding your own video it really doesn't matter as long as you can play it.

The only real difference I've seen lie in two areas.

1. with MVK's and Oggs I usually get a choice in the language soundtrack and the subtitles I can choose from. The picture quality is just the same as my avi's of the same series. I prefer MVK's/Ogg's because i like having the option of both english/japanese subtitles.

2. MVK's/Oggs are opensource while AVI's are not. It's a philosophical difference best left to another thread, but needless to say your going to get both answers. Some people will tell you that AVI's are better. Other's will tell you MVK's are better. In the end, if it's good enough for you to watch then it's fine.

My short answer is that MVK/Ogg's are much better then AVI when properly encoded. I like the sound/video quality better. The drawback is finding a player that will show them correctly. But in no means is that a rip on AVI files. I've gotten plenty of fansubs with high quality AVI's and have enjoyed them very well. End the end, it's all about how it was encoded and the type of player your using (mostly encoded though).

Why do you want to know anyway? Your asking a very difficult question to answer if we don't know what your doing with them and where your getting your files.

@know1: I was trying not to confuse him. Thanks for the help though, it was intresting to read.

Otaku alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3's Avatar
    Malaysia -> Sabah -> Kota Kinabalu -> Jalan Kepayan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    Why do you want to know anyway? Your asking a very difficult question to answer if we don't know what your doing with them and where your getting your files.
    NOW I GET IT! Btw, I got m files from the searches from Torrents Search Engine and I'm trying to collect and store them coz those titles aren't available at here.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

As a last resort (last?), Windows Media Player often works for me. I've got Zoom, and I've used VLC, but somehow WMP always has access to system codecs when others don't. I open files of type *.* and ogm and avi open right up. Display nicely, too, with limited subtitle support. I can't remember if mkv files play, though.

Otaku alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3's Avatar
    Malaysia -> Sabah -> Kota Kinabalu -> Jalan Kepayan
    Thanks

So I'm beginning to redownload all my stuff as .mkv. So maybe its better?

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex1_phang3 View Post
    So I'm beginning to redownload all my stuff as .mkv. So maybe its better?
    Mind your spelling. While I'll be the first to admit I can't spell to save my life, this particular instance of spelling error inadvertatnly (and mildly comically-in a juvanile sense) changes the word to a petty swear.

Anyway, this video container topic has been beaten to death. If you are OCD over having all your movies listed with the same extension, then redownload all as either .mkv or .avi. Personally, I would avoid all that waiting and work so long as I can accept the video quality of the movies that I already downloaded. Players do make a small difference in viewing, but once again, if you can play video on the one that you are already using, and you like the quality, then why bother changing?

This sort of technical jargon is interesting and all, but you seem to be going further than just researching, and in essence, creating your own problem.

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Personally, I just use the CCCP. Plays everything except Realmedia, but that format is hardly used anyways, especially in the Anime community.

Combined Community Codec Pack
    Exactly. Download that and it will play everything that has to do with anime files. It has zoomplayer and media classic player<----which I like better.

Otaku death_knight may be famous one day death_knight may be famous one day death_knight's Avatar
    Thanks

the klite mega codec pack plays almost anything as well. tested and works well with vista
    Opensources is where my heart is
    Ishida Uryuu - The true one winged angel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3