+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing the OS from station C to D

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Changing the OS from station C to D

I'm instaling Windows Vista Business at the moment but there whas a problem, the instaling program told me that mij patitie whas FAT32 and that i needed NTFS.
    So first just the comand 'convert C:/fs:ntfs' but that didn't work so i just 'convert D:/fs:ntfs'.
    So my question is how do i instal Vista on station D

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Changing the OS from station C to D

Quote Originally Posted by gigi2005 View Post
    I'm instaling Windows Vista Business at the moment but there whas a problem, the instaling program told me that mij patitie whas FAT32 and that i needed NTFS.
    So first just the comand 'convert C:/fs:ntfs' but that didn't work so i just 'convert D:/fs:ntfs'.
    So my question is how do i instal Vista on station D
    Vista will only install on NTFS partitions, which as you have seen, is not the same as the FAT partition. You can reformat the drive itself to NTFS, but you will lose everything on it. You can not easily (if at all) partition part of your drive to NTFS and part FAT. FAT is an older structure method that has a hard time handling large volumes (over 300gigs i think). Flash drives still use FAT.

I would suggest backing up your drive, then reformatting it as NTFS. Better yet, purchase a new drive (150gigs are as low as $40). They are usually preformatted as NTFS.

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Changing the OS from station C to D

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Vista will only install on NTFS partitions, which as you have seen, is not the same as the FAT partition. You can reformat the drive itself to NTFS, but you will lose everything on it. You can not easily (if at all) partition part of your drive to NTFS and part FAT. FAT is an older structure method that has a hard time handling large volumes (over 300gigs i think). Flash drives still use FAT.

I would suggest backing up your drive, then reformatting it as NTFS. Better yet, purchase a new drive (150gigs are as low as $40). They are usually preformatted as NTFS.
    Ye i thought i had to remove evrything so i made a backup file and put it on a USB memory stick, but when i started updating to Vista it could only be installed on D station.
    So now i have Windows Vista Business on D station (witch is NTFS), and Wnidows XP an C station (witch is stil FAT32), and this is on the same hard disk A Western Digital WD320 witch is like the name says 320 GB.

+ Reply to Thread