+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Connection Issue!

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

Connection Issue!

So I've been having an issue for about a month now. I have comcast. 3 technicians have come out and I pretty much know the guy in charge of customer service on a first name basis we've had so many conversations.

The Issue: My connection drops at random. Only for about 3-4 seconds. It makes online gaming impossible though. After alot of testing I ran a continuous ping while playing online. And when I got booted from the game the requests timed out for a little bit. Someone said it may be packet loss.

Hope that helps and thanks for any help in advance.
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Connection Issue!

Well, finally something that I have experience fixing (I used to fix comcast internet issues at a call center for a living)... but from the sounds of things, it looks like you've done the right thing by calling their tech support.

Got to ask a few questions though:

Do you use a Router?

If you do, have you tried hooking your computer directly to your modem?

If you have done that, do you still get the same issue?

When this issue happens, (And I'm asking this assuming you're using a Motorolla SURFboard Modem, like the SB5102, this is the modem I have at home) What lights are flashing on the modem? Normal activity has 4 solid green lights, and a flashing orange activity light.

What operating system do you use and are the drivers for your network card up to date? (if you're a Comcast Customer, the minimum OS you should have is WinXP SP3 or OSX 10.5 or 10.6, this may have changed since the last time I've done this kind of work)

Now, if it is packet loss, there could be any number of reasons:

The cable infrastructure in your area may be lousy (very likely, the one in the service area I was in was, the Greater Chicago Area), Comcast are very cheap MoFo's, and your cable in your neighbourhood may be 10-25 years old, or more.

The Levels for the signal being sent to your house may be too high (over powering the modem, causing it to reset), or too low (causing the modem to lose connection, causing it to reset).

Your modem may be faulty.

Answer these questions and I can help you further, but eventually, you're going to have to phone them to get it fixed, regardless of the help you get from me, because this sounds like a hardware issue on Comcasts End.

If this is an issue with Comcast, you're going to have to prove that it is to get any help out of them, and to do that, you have to eliminate your computer from the issue, here's how you do that:
    1. If you have more then one computer in the house, try and replicate the issue on that computer.
    2. Make sure your computers OS and all network drivers are up to date.
    3. Make sure your computers virus scanners and firewalls are either properly configured or disabled, and try and replicate the issue.
    4. The next time this happens, try power cycling your modem. To do that, make sure your computer isn't making any requests form the internet, like downloading or anything of that nature and follow these steps:
      • Unplug your modem's power supply
      • Wait 5-10 seconds
      • Plug the modem back in and wait for all 4 green lights to turn solid green.
      Once you do that, wait to see if the issue happens again

If you've done all that, the issue's with Comcast.

When they do come to fix the issue, it most likely involve a Tech coming out and adjusting the levels being sent to your house, and/or replacing your modem if need be.
    Last edited by aceman67; Aug 08, 2010 at 11:07 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Hoods (Aug 09, 2010)

Thanks

Thanks for the help so far.

I do have a router and I have eliminated it and I still have the same problem.

When I have this issue nothing on my modem indicates it. All the lights behave like the normally do. That was the first thing that made it stand out as a weird issue to me. I still have the 4 solid green lights and the blinking activity one like I do when it's working.

I have windows vista.

I play games on XBOX and pc and I'm having the issue on both.

I don't think the issue is my modem because of the story below but a 4th tech is coming tomorrow to replace that. Even though I doubt it will make a difference because of the story below.

I know the issue isn't a problem on my end because of how it started. My next-door neighbor and I were playing one night from our respective houses and we both got disconnected for about an hour. Everyday since then we've both been having this problem. The thing is he hasn't called comcast to complain so they're pretty much treating me like I'm lying.

So after they replace the modem tomorrow and the issue continues I'm wondering if they're just going to give up say they can't fix it or will they actually believe it's one of their lines outside.

I honestly hope somehting as simple as a new modem will fix my problem though. Having to pay them to take out a service just cause they don't want to fix it and having to pay another ISP to install theirs will be a hassle.

Thanks again ace.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

yep, sounds like a Levels issue.

when the tech comes, ask him to check the Signal Strength

Thanks

thanks so much for the help ace Ill be sure to tell them its the levels.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now I have exactly the same issue with Comcast High Speed Cable using a direct connected switch directly to their cable modem (I know, one of these days this gets replaced with a firewall/router...)

I suspect Comcast is doing this in an attempt to shake off persistent Bit-Torrent connections, as they are no longer allowed to selectively filter this protocol, like they were doing in the past... So the only thing you can do is to keep bugging Comcast Technical support and become such a pain in the neck that they add you to their exceptions list...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread