+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ds rom splitting.

  1. #1
    Newbie St Disaster may be famous one day St Disaster may be famous one day St Disaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    RAT city, washington
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ds rom splitting.

    oi. i want to learn how to split ds roms so i can translate them. any one know how?

    burning like a bridge for her body... and sunk like a stone in the sea.

  2. #2
    Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    here
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: ds rom splitting.

    Quote Originally Posted by St Disaster View Post
    oi. i want to learn how to split ds roms so i can translate them. any one know how?
    How good are you with a hex editor and Unicode? If the answer is null, then forget about it.

  3. #3
    Newbie St Disaster may be famous one day St Disaster may be famous one day St Disaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    RAT city, washington
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: ds rom splitting.

    ill learn. could you just tell me how ? because im not actually the one that will be splitting it, just translating it...

    burning like a bridge for her body... and sunk like a stone in the sea.

  4. #4
    I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pretiacruento
    Posts
    7,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: ds rom splitting.

    Stay on the legal side here people. (Though I am moved by your avatar St disaster.)

  5. #5
    Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    here
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: ds rom splitting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Stay on the legal side here people. (Though I am moved by your avatar St disaster.)
    What is the possible illegal part? Assuming he/she owns the rom and doesn't plan on distributing the altered result, then where's the harm? Imagine all the people who would be in jail right now from messing around with Doom95?

    Oh, and St Disaster, sorry to say that this isn't something that can be learned in a couple of forum posts. I know people who have spent months trying to learn the general coding concepts and languages necessary for something like this, but still are not quite ready. Go to a library or bookstore and read up on the following: Compliers/decompliers, Java, C (+/-/#), Unicode, VB, XML. Write your first "hello world" program in each and get back to me. Either that or crawl the web looking for pre-made files to enhance the rom.

  6. #6
    Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Coalhurst Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 183 Times in 148 Posts

    Re: ds rom splitting.

    You can't "own" the rom, you have to own a physical copy of the game to have the rom legally, and if you don't have the real game, you can only have it on your computer 24 hours.

  7. #7
    I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pretiacruento
    Posts
    7,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: ds rom splitting.

    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    What is the possible illegal part? Assuming he/she owns the rom and doesn't plan on distributing the altered result, then where's the harm? Imagine all the people who would be in jail right now from messing around with Doom95?

    Oh, and St Disaster, sorry to say that this isn't something that can be learned in a couple of forum posts. I know people who have spent months trying to learn the general coding concepts and languages necessary for something like this, but still are not quite ready. Go to a library or bookstore and read up on the following: Compliers/decompliers, Java, C (+/-/#), Unicode, VB, XML. Write your first "hello world" program in each and get back to me. Either that or crawl the web looking for pre-made files to enhance the rom.
    a) aceman's comment
    b) You seem to forget I never said anyone was doing anything illegal. I just warned them not to go there.

  8. #8
    Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    here
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: ds rom splitting.

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    You can't "own" the rom, you have to own a physical copy of the game to have the rom legally, and if you don't have the real game, you can only have it on your computer 24 hours.
    Isn't owning the ROM owning the physical copy of the game? As in: "I have a old shoe box filled with 8-bit Nintendo Roms. Aceman, you are truly king of semantics. But as long as we are on the topic of semantics, ROM, as you most likely know, is an acronym for Read Only Memory. Atari and 8-Bit Nintendo (as well as many of the following game consoles) ran off of ROM cartridges. Many referred to these as ROMs instead of cartridges. If you are an OG tech nerd like myself, you still refer to any game media as a ROM. In fact, the term ROM refers to a tangible, 'physical' thing, rather than the media in it. Therefore, I can legally own a ROM, and thus the game on it.

    With all of the emulators around these days, people have taken the term ROM to describe the game code from cartridges and discs. ROM is now incorrectly used as a quick and identifiable means of referring to the information on the ROM.

    Hassan

    a) My comment above
    b) It was a legitimate question I had asked you. If people talk about MP3's, do you have the same response?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts