+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flash Drives and things like that.

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

Flash Drives and things like that.

Okay, I need to know some things about Flash Drives. I also want to know if there is anything that has more storage space than a flash drive that would be less expensive than buying a new computer.

Things I need to know:

Prices, different brands, general info about how they work, and, of course, which flash drive is the most reliable, or most recommended?

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Newbie Hiko may be famous one day Hiko may be famous one day Hiko's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Flash Drives and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AniManga Hound
    I also want to know if there is anything that has more storage space than a flash drive that would be less expensive than buying a new computer.
    I would suggest you buying an extra Hard Disk, you get a lot more storage than a Flash drive and it's cheaper than a brand new computer. The only difference is that you can't carry it if it's an internal one.

--

Flash drive are the replacement to floppy drive and CD-Rom for quick transfers from a computer to another using USB, some of their advantage are that they don't have physical moving pieces and are very small. Also compatible with Mac and PC.

Make sure if you ever want to buy one that it's USB 2.0 compatible, I think most of them are...but just make sure.

The way they work is exacly the same way a floppy disk work...You insert it in the USB slot and then you can drag/drop, copy/paste and delete files and folders from them.

edit: forgot to close the quote

Newbie thanatos808 may be famous one day thanatos808 may be famous one day thanatos808's Avatar
    Thanks

external HDD's ones that use USB 2.0 they come in various storage capacities and sizes, either 2.5 or 3.5

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

How many GBs can they hold? And how much do they cost?

I've got abot 150-200$ to blow on an external hard drive or a flash drive.

Oh, also, the most important question. How much space (in GB) do you estimate that 1352 half hour long episodes would take up?

Newbie Hiko may be famous one day Hiko may be famous one day Hiko's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, if I understand right, you want something to store your episodes. Then a Flash Drive is out of the question, especially for your large amount of data.

The affordable Flash Drives can hold 1-2 GB, which is not much…that can hold about 10-15episodes depending on their size.

An external Hard Drive can hold much more and is in your price range. You can get a 200 GB drive for about 200$, you will have to shop for better prices…Already there you have a lot more space for more episodes.

But to be honest, what I did with my large amount of files (yes, I also have a big number of anime episodes) is I bought a DVD burner for like 50$ and a bunch DVDs to backup my anime.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

How much space (in GB) do you estimate that 1352 half hour long episodes would take up?
    It depends on how many megabytes the episode has. Usually 175,000 megabytes is 24 minutes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hiko

But to be honest, what I did with my large amount of files (yes, I also have a big number of anime episodes) is I bought a DVD burner for like 50$ and a bunch DVDs to backup my anime.
    That seems like a good idea. A very good idea. And idea I'll probably carry out...I'll just redowload each series I've watched, Then burn them onto a few DVDRs. Much cheaper, no risk of accidentally deleting all my anime, plus, it will make my anime collection look larger. It's always nice to invite over a friend, then be like, "Your collections is pretty big, but have you seen...MINE!" Then I'll ripp the mini tarp off and have golden strobe lights making it like the collection is glowing--just like in the movies.

SO! A decent DVD burner cost around 50$, but how much to those DVD-Rs cost?

Or, better yet, I'll do both. I'll buy an external hard drive with a 100GB storage capacity for about 100 bucks, then spend the rest on the DVD burner and a crap load of DVD-Rs.

Why? Por que no? It's always nice to have both. Besides, my computer could use some more space. Maybe then the god damn thing will run faster...
    Last edited by AniManga Hound; Apr 19, 2006 at 11:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread