+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Good anti-virus programs?

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Good anti-virus programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    I used to get AVG's anti-virus software for free being a student of my university. But ever since they had a new contract they used another company called Avira and their free program gave me popups and stuff which I don't want.

Does anyone know of any good anti-virus programs (free or not)?? Preferably free of course, and no pop ups or hogs the system's resources.

Thanks in advance.
    Legend to tell you the truth, in my experience of computers, the best anti virus, is not having one at all, because they always lead you to trouble. if you don't go on "" sites than you are a-okay

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exderz View Post
    Legend to tell you the truth, in my experience of computers, the best anti virus, is not having one at all, because they always lead you to trouble. if you don't go on "" sites than you are a-okay
    Are you kidding. Without a good anti-virus you can get them just by being connected to the internet.

Newbie Black is off to a good start
    Thanks

Use Norton, it's preferably the best, even though it takes a while to use, it stills works to it's maximum, even i use it, it's that good.

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exderz View Post
    No offense, but like Miroku4444 said, you can get them at any point while on the net. Any time data is transfered to your computer, loading a page the most popular example, people can hide virus's or spyware in the data. My sister can't get to those kinda sites, the anti-virus blocking them, yet every now & again I run a spyware check, usually deleting up to 60+ items! Just from surfing things like Anime chacter fanpics & fanfics (she doesn't come on here though), a site where you role-play as Anime characters, the usual kinda stuff teens look at. I won't mention the site names, but she still gets spyware.

Heck, I've had a take over attempt on my computer blocked by my Anti-virus. I was in the middle of a game of Battlefield 2 when suddenly I got messages saying someone was trying to hack into my computer. I bailed out of my game ASAP & shut it down, but without the Anti-virus, who knows what they would have done if they'd gotten through. I've seen on the news what they can do if they get through on a current events show, they can do anything, even activate webcams & open CD draws. If a hacker gets in, they can fiddle with anything.

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

I use Avast on my home computer and am generally happy with it. It uses few resources and has adequate protection. I was skeptical about free software, but it's legit and does a good job. I say that... there was some trojan we'd caught from pop-ups that Avast didn't catch. Ad-Aware did catch it, however. Double protection paid off.

I use Symantec at work, and it seems to use a LOT of memory just scanning running processes. And while I trust Norton & McAffee (I've used them both at home), I'd advise you to avoid "Security Suite" type program bundles. Those will use a lot of memory and don't necessarily give any better protection than the basic anti-virus install. But, if you do a lot of P2P transfer and non-web-based email, you might appreciate the easy configuration of a "Suite".

And though I've caught a couple of viruses just being connected (and behind a firewall), I still think the safest Internet surfing is abstinence from questionable sites. My mantra: NOTHING is free on the Internet, 'cept maybe viruses.

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

norton is horrible legend, dont listen to them, the best antivirus that ive found is offered by my cable company, u get it free from time warner if ur a customer with them. Avoid Norton, it has alot of stuff that sucks, like a really anoying firewall, that slows down every ****ing thing, i had to go in an re-name the firewall so that it didnt open cause it was screwing my computer all up. Go to time warners webpage, u can get the name of what it is i use there.

An im on a pc that is 4 years old as well, so that also makes it run a little slower, but for me it was the needless firewalls it came with.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku Master_badger may be famous one day Master_badger may be famous one day
    Thanks

Use Windows One Care!

No, it's a joke (very bad joke BTW).

Well, i don't know, everybody have a favorite antivirus and speak of their own knowledge.

In this moment, i'm using McAfee Internet security suite 2008. Works well but not the perfection. Don't hog lot of resources of the system. But i still prefer Kaspersky or NOD32/ESET AV, works well, don't lag your PC (even if you have an old PC) but both aren't free. But, hey bro! You probably pay more fixing your PC (or worse, buying a new PC) than if you buy an antivirus. Think about it.

Don't use Norton and Symantec. The lastest edition slow like hell your PC and works very bad. Symantec don't detect the lastest virus and with some spyware files it block itself, and you can't make even a single scan.
    "Knowledge is power"

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

I've had NOD32 recommended to me before, especially by the guy who actually built this computer of mine, but never could find out where to get it from. Any chance you can tell us where you can get it Master_Badger? I have a sneaking suspicion it's only available online...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast