+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I think this is beyond my repair skills!

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Exclamation HELP! I think this is beyond my repair skills!

O.k. I have a "prehistoric" HP pavillion mx70 w/ windows xp home edition. I was just boosting my ram from 128 megs to 512 megs of ram. I slid in the stick, turned it on and nothing happened. (literally). I tried this about 3 to 4 times with no success. (yes I checked to make sure both sides were "snapped" in.) To make a long story short, I tried it one more time, this time I received this high pitch beeping sound (from my tower!) I knew right then that this was "not" good at all. I asked a friend of mine who found a problem... My p.c. uses the "pc2100" type of ram. I bought a "pc2400". Fortunately he had some spare sticks of ram that were pc2100's so I took them home and gave it a try... I still get that annoying beep! My screen is black, and the light on my monitor is orange.

Now this is the strange part. When I turn it on, my hard drive is spinning and it appears to be going about it's business just fine. It's just my monitor that won't react. If I unplug the a/v cord from my tower, the screen will actually "turn on" (the light turns green and everything) and the monitor will tell me to check my a/v connections; but as soon as I reconnect them, the monitor goes back into "sleep mode", the light turns orange, and once again i'm looking at a black screen. Now this leaves me with one devestating conclusion.... I probably fried my video card... Now the only problem i'm having with that conclusion is this.... My "stock" video card is integrated into my motherboard! I actually attempted to use a different videocard, but I was unable to bypass the original! This really sucks, and if someone could shed some light on this dark situation I would really appreciate it. Heck, I would hug you if I could!
    Last edited by Gods_Dragon; Dec 06, 2006 at 12:38 AM. Reason: I mispelled something.

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: HELP! I think this is beyond my repair skills!

usually I would find where the Clear Cmos pin is, clear the cmos and that plug in the ram again.

Consult your mobo manual to see what's up.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

This sounds very very bad... If you forgot to unplug your power cord before inserting your RAM, (and ATX motherboards are always live with power, even if the system is turned off...), chances are you fried your motherboard...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

I'm going to try and locate this "clear c-moss pin..." Any idea what it may look like? Oh, I definately did "not" have my p.c. plugged in when I did this. I'm a rookie, but i'm not "that" new. (lol) If you could give me some sort of idea as to what this "pin" looks like, I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Gods_Dragon; Dec 06, 2006 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I mispelled something...

~Stay blessed

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Try removing ALL the cards and disk drive cables and see if the bios comes up, as sometimes a unseated PCI card will prevent the system from booting...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have a manual to the motherboard, they should tell you where it is. If not try to find the manufacturer of your mobo and download the instruction booklet. Hopefully you have a friend who would lend you their computer.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

O.k.... I'm going to strip my computer to a shell & put it back together. This way I will know for sure that there are no "loose ends" anywhere. I'm still trying to locate my c-moss though... the manuel I have is a simple "users manuel" that doesn't go into any details at all! Looks like i'm going to have to do this the old fashioned way...
    Last edited by Gods_Dragon; Dec 08, 2006 at 08:49 PM. Reason: I mispelled something...

~Stay blessed

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Using higher-frequency-capable RAM modules wouldn't cause this. I'd personally bet on the breaking of the MB by pushing the RAM onto a loose board. The better possibility is that something (the other RAM module or some card) got partially unplugged during the bend. The solution would definitely lie in the disassembly of everything and an attempt to power it on with minimal equipment connected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast