+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home computer web sight.

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Home computer web sight.

I was having a conversation with a fellow player of city of heros. He told me that his game group hade there web sight on his commuter even with a web address. It costs him about $7-$8 a month. I was thinking of dong this except I dont want to pay for like that. Now I dont expect to have a address but I was wondering what programs I would need to have on my commuter and generally how it would be set up for my own coh group to have its web page on my computer. Is it even possible for another person to access my computer if they know my IP address?
    Barbecued,bake,fryed,every sort of sauce as well as bread of dog.......No mater what it always tastes like chicken. Any ideas oh how to change this?

-=Tumble_Dry=-

Re: Home computer web sight.

First,
    Do you know about DNS? DHCP? Routing tables?
    What do you mean you dont want to pay for it?

But If your thinking about getting a webpage up, somthings you might want are

-FTP program
    -HTML editor (notepad is find if you have HTML experiance)
    -Firewall
    -Faster Internet
    -Server

You have to have another computer to do it. If you dont then your computer has to be on 24/7. It would help if your computer ran like Server 2000 or above too.

I think if you relize by now, Your better off finding a provider unless you have a spare computer kicking around that has some good parts in it. And you know how to run Windows Server 2000 or above.

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -=Tumble_Dry=- View Post
    First,
    Do you know about DNS? DHCP? Routing tables?
    What do you mean you dont want to pay for it?

But If your thinking about getting a webpage up, somthings you might want are

-FTP program
    -HTML editor (notepad is find if you have HTML experiance)
    -Firewall
    -Faster Internet
    -Server

You have to have another computer to do it. If you dont then your computer has to be on 24/7. It would help if your computer ran like Server 2000 or above too.

I think if you relize by now, Your better off finding a provider unless you have a spare computer kicking around that has some good parts in it. And you know how to run Windows Server 2000 or above.

Dont quit need such a bug set up. at the max only 75 peopls will ever accec it at one time (Game group limt) its not going to be ont 24/7 just between 6am -9pm weekdays of whenever im on. as for the pay part i dont want to pay a monthly fee fo a domain. Ijust want to make it so they accesce the sight though my Internet IP adress.
    As for DNS AND DHCP I have no idea. But on the mater of routing i have a wierliss router and set it up myself with a little help from the progral that came with it wich was no more then a viddeo with check marks to help keep track of what you where doing. As for ftp program and fier wall could you recomend any? the only fier walls i have is the windows and wierliss server one's.
    Barbecued,bake,fryed,every sort of sauce as well as bread of dog.......No mater what it always tastes like chicken. Any ideas oh how to change this?

-=Tumble_Dry=-

Ok, well what your saying is that you want to open your computer up to the internets. which is not smart. Once you open ports on your router that allow you to do that, its like putting a big sign on your computer "Attack me"

You can do it via IP, but its not recommended at all.

The easyest way is to buy a domain or an IP address.
    Or, just turn your computer into an FTP server.

First of all, YOU NEED A SERVER!!! XP cannot do this.
    you need to learn DNS and DHCP so you can give accses to your website to only the people you want.

Newbie _lecro_ may be famous one day _lecro_ may be famous one day _lecro_'s Avatar
    Thanks

you can get a domain/webspace for £10 a year,surely you could find that money,
    included is software to help you set up your site,email addys ,forums ect ect and it would be running 24/7

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -=Tumble_Dry=- View Post
    Ok, well what your saying is that you want to open your computer up to the internets. which is not smart. Once you open ports on your router that allow you to do that, its like putting a big sign on your computer "Attack me"

You can do it via IP, but its not recommended at all.

The easyest way is to buy a domain or an IP address.
    Or, just turn your computer into an FTP server.

First of all, YOU NEED A SERVER!!! XP cannot do this.
    you need to learn DNS and DHCP so you can give accses to your website to only the people you want.
    How do i turn my computer (lap/desk) into an FTP server.

Quote Originally Posted by _lecro_ View Post
    you can get a domain/webspace for £10 a year,surely you could find that money,
    included is software to help you set up your site,email addys ,forums ect ect and it would be running 24/7
    Any place you can recomend?

Newbie _lecro_ may be famous one day _lecro_ may be famous one day _lecro_'s Avatar
    Thanks

JSW freelance thats my host,
    and they offer the best customer service ive ever come across

Otaku cerebrum has disabled reputation cerebrum's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahhh, the joy of creating ones own cyber sanctuary. You can find alot of free hosting sites through GOOGLE search engine.

One popular site is Freewebs. Its a pretty good site. It has a "Free account" option and enables users to either have web templates laid out for them or to just simply code the entire web pages themselves. Its quite simple from what I heard. Not bad, really.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=30454&dateline=115992  8199
Your Current Signature Picture
    Sig courtesy goes to : Sazuka. [Sig team]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast