View Poll Results: Which Laptop Brand is best?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell

5 26.32%
  • HP

3 15.79%
  • MacBook

5 26.32%
  • Other

6 31.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Battle- Dell of HP?

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Laptop Battle- Dell of HP?

Ok AO, Ochi Gate needs your opinion. I need to get a laptop for college, but i cannot decide weither to get a Dell or an HP. Im a name brand kinda guy, so i want one or the other. money isnt really an object (unless its about like $1,200). i also like getting things that few other people have, so ive considered getting a Mac, i dont think i will.

what i need from you, the good people of Anime Online, is to throw out anything good or bad about the Dell or HP laptops. Model names are helpful! anything that has happened to you or anyone you know. also, if you really think i should get a Mac or something else, go ahead and throw that in too. Thanks in Advance!

mods, perhaps this should have went in the tech area, but i donno. you are the mods, after all. you decide where it should go.thanks
    Last edited by Ochi Gate; Apr 22, 2008 at 06:44 AM.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Otaku yinyangAio1 is off to a good start yinyangAio1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Laptop Battle- Dell of HP?

I love dell laptops so that's what I'd go with! I've had this same dell laptop since 1995 and it's never gave me any major problems! I've even got it running the original OS and other applications! I use it all the time and it's been good to me so far. I'm getting a new dell for my graduation present for collage and I'm so excited!

oops...they saw us...*to you* Hi...you didn't just see that...

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't name the best laptop around but i think i can give you bits of info and advice. I dunno about the other laptops out there so this post is basically owner opinion.

I currently own two laptops, a macbook(13.3) and a compaq(hp presario yADda yadda). If you wanna look for the technical stuff about the laptops, you can easily do a google search.

Why did i choose the Macbook over Macbook Pro and Air?...In my opinion the Macbook is as good as those two and it's a whole lot cheaper too. It's light enough to be conveniently carried and powerful enough to do my bidding. Like the Pro and Air it runs with both Mac OS X and Windows..hmmm...pretty good with user-serviceability too. As for the form, it's pretty enough to turn heads and impress chicks...As a student, i suggest getting this one...if you wanna shell out a thousand bucks or more. (but some sell cheap macbooks out there)

Among the three, Pro is the strongest machine in terms of technicalities. It pales in comparison against Macbook and macbook air in the convenience department. Pro is much heavier than the other two but then again it's lighter than most laptops out there.

If you're looking for sheer convenience, you could go choose Air but it boasts nothing except for its light weight. In my opinion Air is a crappy choice, it costs so much but lacks in performance, and it's pretty pathetic in user-serviceability.

I'm not exactly sure about the HP laptop that i'm using right now, hp always give their laptops weird names(letter and number combination thingies) so it's kinda hard to remember. This hp's trackpad is better than my macbook's, it's a whole lot pressure sensitive and a whole lot easy to navigate if not for the weird heat it emits. It's good enough in the performance department, and it has more ports than the macbook. It doesn't look as good as a mac but yeah this one can also be a good choice coz you get more than what you pay for. It is really one of the best choices in the less-than-a-thousand-dollar laptop department. I'm not gonna say it's cheap, it just doesn't cost much...
    Last edited by Hantei16; Apr 22, 2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally have a Sony VAIO N series and i have to say....I never did complain once about this beautiful laptop.
    Sure they are quite expensive but believe me when it comes down to the line...I would choose quality over quantity....
    because I know that I can trust this laptop to be with me after I finish college and later than even that....without having any major troubles or glitches...
    there are the features of this laptop:
    * Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core Duo T2050
    * Screen: 15.4-inch WXGA (1280 x 800) LCD with XBRITE-ECO technology (glossy display)
    * Hard Drive: 80 GB hard drive, 5400 RPM
    * Color: Grey and Black
    * Memory: 1 GB RAM (2 GB max) 533MHz
    * Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (128 MB of shared RAM)
    * Optical Drive: multi-format/dual-layer DVD/CD burner
    * Wireless: Intel 3945abg card (802.11a/b/g), 10/100 Ethernet
    * OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005--Windows Vista capable and Windows Vista Premium ready
    * Size: 10.5 inches x 14.4 inches x 1.6 inches (L x W x H)
    * Weight: 6.8 pounds
    * Ports:
    o Two USB 2.0 ports
    o FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link)
    o ExpressCard/34 slot
    o VGA monitor out
    o S-Video out
    o Stereo headphones/speakers/line-out
    o Microphone/line-in
    o Memory Stick reader (compatible with Memory Stick PRO and PRO DUO with MagicGate functionality)
    o SD Card reader slot

if you have any more question for me....do not be afraid to ask..i would love to help you
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you actually, so I've also been looking around for laptops recently as well.

I find Macbooks to be overpriced, personally. The Macbook Pros even more so. They are small and shiny though. I guess it depends on your needs. They just aren't for me.

I've checked the Dell site, and the one that catches my eye is the Dell XPS M1530. Looks nice enough, and price/performance is pretty good. If you want to run games, it'll run you about $1500 give or take. I've been considering it myself. If you aren't looking to play modern games, it might be a bit overkill though.

My friend has an HP notebook, and he's had no problems with his, and it runs quite nicely. Can't remember the specs, but I don't think HP would be a bad choice anyways.

If you're looking for cheap notebooks for e-mail and notetaking and such, Acer does lots of cheap notebooks that look pretty shiny. I've heard some bad things about Acer though, so perhaps be cautioned on that.

Also worthy of note is the ASUS eeePC. It's incredibly small and cheap($300-$400 cheap, that is, so notebook cheap!). 4GB solid state hard drive though, so not too much internal storage, but I suppose it could get the job done well enough.

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

I really dont like the MacBook Air, it looks WAY too fragile. im not saying i'm going to Primary Lotus my laptop off a house, but im afraid to look at the Air for fear of my breathing breaking it.

im not too much worried about the weight, but like the price, to a certain extent. and i planned on grabbing a USB mouse to go with it, as a touchpad is difficult to use with Photoshop.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Personally, I do not recommend laptops for use by students in college (which I recommended to my nephew). There too easy to drop, too easy to steal, (and there's been several cases of 'snatch and run' in my nephews dorms...) and they still lack in computational power, storage, and multimedia center abilities that are so useful in college life. Now what I would do would invest in a nice desktop system, and as an accessory, purchase one of the new 'sub-notebook' class units to take to class for note taking (which run as low as $400... ASUS Eee PC, BestBuy.com)

And this belongs in the Tech Forum... moving...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Fallen Angel PhoenixSara may be famous one day PhoenixSara's Avatar
    I am in between Heaven's Gate and Hell.Angels are not supposed to fall but i did.
    Thanks

I am a mac person but it really depends i mean if you like to create graphics, flash movies and well the creative person i suggest a mac. but that is me you still have to decide which one you are comfortable with using.
    "In your arms is where i will be, I love you till my forever ends."
    Clan Rainstorm 2nd Company, Kunoichi Leader
    PhoenixSara FB / Click Me IMVU/Atlantis RPG/Rules and FAQ/MY BLOG /

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast