+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LCD monitors - what's the problem

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Post LCD monitors - what's the problem

I'm still avoiding a LCD monitor. I knew that their display is wrong, but I wasn't able to explain it logically. But now I have even coded a proof-of-concept application that both emulates and cures the problem. The problem itself lies in the fact that LCDs rely exclusively on the "in-line" pixel system. This system was introduced as a big goal in CRT televisions, because the tuning of the screen was much simpler than with the original "delta" system. However, with computer monitors, the delta system returned. And they knew why. Because the in-line one causes the edges to "bleed" in the hue channel. I will show you on an example.
    A greyscale PNG follows. If you have a well-adjusted CRT monitor, it's edges should not exhibit a single color leakage:

But when you display the same circle on a LCD and look closely (magnifying it with software won't zoom in the defect!), you will see this:

As you can see, a dark->light transition bleeds orange; similarly, a white->black transition bleeds cyan on the other side. You will see this on every LCD monitor. Additionally, the border of the circle may get jagged, although it's actually made in Photoshop with full anti-aliasing.
    Let's have a look at a processed picture optimized for LCD monitors:

If you have a CRT, it will bleed orange on the left side, but if you have LCD, it will look greyscale, much like the first one was intended to look.
    If you are interested, tell me to post the program. And share your experiences with faulty results from LCD monitors.

I'm disabling my signature to allow you to concentrate more.
    Last edited by Zdenek; Apr 15, 2006 at 09:10 AM.

Newbie thanatos808 may be famous one day thanatos808 may be famous one day thanatos808's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: LCD monitors - what's the problem

i don't get it, what am i looking at? in laymans terms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos808
    i don't get it, what am i looking at? in laymans terms
    I'm a layman myself, it couldn't be told simpler yet understandable. Focus at the edges of the black circles.

Otaku ShadowRabbit may be famous one day ShadowRabbit may be famous one day ShadowRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

a decent TFT monitor (e.g decent response time etc) will not display that problem.
    if anything the exact opposite. TFT at NATIVE resolution are pixel perfect.

The problem you have illustrated is TFT running at a NON-native resolution.

most TFT's will run at 1280x1024 so just remeber to have a decent gfx card to back it up.
    Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address
    [IMG]curtsies to Pyro_psyco666

Newbie thanatos808 may be famous one day thanatos808 may be famous one day thanatos808's Avatar
    Thanks

circle thingys look ok on my screen

Thanks

You are getting it all wrong. I AM using native resolution. The problem is most pronounced in it anyway. And the two circles are different and if you look carefully enough, one of them will show color dispersion. Which one, depends on your display type.

Please also note that if you are used to a LCD, you may got already used to the difference and don't see the defect anymore.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

While I still don't completely understand (or my eyes are just that bad), thanks for the explaination. I held off getting an LCD monitor simply because I was always seeing them in non-native resolution. Like a fool, I thought they were glam crap, saving desk space but blurring indiscriminately (especially text).

Now I'm just bummed that the native resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024 and makes everything sharp but reeeeally small (17" monitor). Guess I need new glasses. Or that cyberbrain upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread