+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Macbook or Any other kind of Laptop

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Macbook or Any other kind of Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Macs are generally tailored for the types of apps a creative person will love.
    I'm um, going to have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you there....

Where do people get this from? I was a mac person a long time ago (Performa Days/OS 7.5). There was a point in time where this was quite literal--meaning the mac worked well with midi due to core clock speeds. From there, I saw the rise of the Motorola G3 chip and the IBM chips and the aim of cornering the creative market. I will say that in the early multimedia days, Apple pwnd that market, but that was only because content creation was the only niche of the entire computer market that they could feasibly hold on to, and the X86 companies didn't really bother with it all that much.

But these days, you can't realistically tell me that macs, aside from their OS eye candy and beautiful hardware AESTHETIC design, are any better for art or music. That is straight ignorant. I also admit that a standard PC is no better than a mac at art and music. The only difference is how accustom to the os you are, and what is available for applications. The rest is just genius marketing from the Apple camp.

Newbie nickhoge is off to a good start nickhoge's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Macbook or Any other kind of Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I'm um, going to have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you there....

Where do people get this from? I was a mac person a long time ago (Performa Days/OS 7.5). There was a point in time where this was quite literal--meaning the mac worked well with midi due to core clock speeds. From there, I saw the rise of the Motorola G3 chip and the IBM chips and the aim of cornering the creative market. I will say that in the early multimedia days, Apple pwnd that market, but that was only because content creation was the only niche of the entire computer market that they could feasibly hold on to, and the X86 companies didn't really bother with it all that much.

But these days, you can't realistically tell me that macs, aside from their OS eye candy and beautiful hardware AESTHETIC design, are any better for art or music. That is straight ignorant. I also admit that a standard PC is no better than a mac at art and music. The only difference is how accustom to the os you are, and what is available for applications. The rest is just genius marketing from the Apple camp.
    I, uhm, have to, totally agree with you

The thing is that companies, employees or every other person in the 'design' world is totally convinced that it is still like it was in the time you described. The problem is that people in that world expect you to have a mac, hell they even get disappointed when you tell them you don't own a mac but work your way around a 'regular' machine. The OS is still overhyped too (imho). It works quite nice and has it's pros, but also it's cons.

The macs these days are pure for reputation. When you go to a job interview carrying your mac for showing of your portfolio you might have a higher chance to impress the employer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2