Closed Thread

Thread: Mayday! My baby's sick! It can't tell it's got a vid card!

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Exclamation Mayday! My baby's sick! It can't tell it's got a vid card!

I'l hoping someone here can help me, before the withdrawal symptoms get too bad . Basically, I recently performed a virus scan & located a Trojan Horse. I quarantined the file like the anti virus recommended, however it seems it was a windows operating file, since it refused to get past the black screen just before loading up the user accounts.

After asking a few people, I tried a couple of things, but ended up having to re-install Windows just so I could log on. Ever since, it's been playing up, scrolling around pages means watching the screen refresh it's way around, loading YouTubes means only ever getting about 2-3 min maximum, as well as a couple of other things I can't remember at the moment.

Talking to a couple of people at TAFE today, one recommended I reinstalled the drivers for the video card. So I jumped on it tonight, stuck in the CD & waited for it to load. Instead all I got was a message saying it didn't have a video card in there that it supported, even though it came with the card & listed it as the 3rd one down their list of supported cards. Going into the start menu, I opened the "Run" feature & started up DxDiag (video card/basic computer testing program. actually rather useful.) & looked around. I didn't know what to think when it told me there wasn't a video card in there at all, despite having put a 256MB Nvidia G-Force 6600GT in personally, with the computer telling me it's running off the in built video components.

So, basically, I don't really know what to do. I'll be asking some more people what they think, but I'm accepting advice from anyone that might have a clue. I'd love to return to the world of online gaming, but it's gonna be impossible unless I can get my card registering & working.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone?

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mayday! My baby's sick! It can't tell it's got a vid card!

Have you tried turning the built in video display off in the BIOS??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Mayday! My baby's sick! It can't tell it's got a vid card!

To be honest, I don't know a lot about computers, especially the terminology. I've heard the name BIOS before, but can't remember where. I've basically taught myself everything I know about computers, including some of the fancy words, but only enough to allow me to upgrade parts like my RAM & Video card (which still isn't recognized). What makes it worse is the fact that it's worked ever since I installed it, but now it's not.

I'm sorry if I leave details out, but It's hard to remember what I've written so far since I still have to watch my scream refresh.

I found another CD I thought could have helped, labeled Auto-Detect VGA Driver. I loaded it in, only to find the same screen as before, only this time my card was on the top of the list. I however did find some instructions on the back of it's paper "case", saying I should "1.Remove your existing display driver using the Add/Remove icon in 'Control Panel'". I did look in Add or Remove programs, but didn't really know what I was looking for & didn't find anything that fitted the bill. The rest of the instructions are easy as hell, it's just I'm not 100% on what that part means. It does say Direct X 9.X must be installed before Display Driver Installation, so I know not to touch that.

Anyone got any ideas on what to do, or even what they mean with this stuff? I am doing a TAFE course to learn all this stuff, but I've only just started.

Help?

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that you may need to install your motherboard drivers first. Insert your MB CD in and install it all. After several restarts, try the VGA thing again. But don't try the CD, download the latest ForceWare from nvidia.com!

Thanks

It's starting to sound like I'll have to take some sort of drastic action. I'm really not liking that. Not at all.

A little update though. I was told to hold Delete while my computer started up, so i did, which opened up BIOS I think it was called. I tinkered with a few settings, being VERY careful, & I've got the computer recognizing the video card, it's just Windows & DXDiag still aren't. A friend of the family came over & brought a guy who fixes the systems for the local phone company Telstra. He said I'd have to back everything up, format the hard drive & start again. I think that's the most likely thing to work, however I don't have enough memory to back up my 112GB hard drive.

I'm still keeping your suggestions in mind, but they do seem a little beyond my skills right now. I've basically had to teach myself everything I know, & this is the first time I've come up against this kind of situation.

I'm starting to think about actually opening up my computer & swapping back to my old video card, booting up with that, & if it works, swap back & hope for the best. Does that sound like it might work to anyone who knows more about this stuff than I do?

Either way, keep the ideas coming in. Hopefully I won't have to go through them all, but if i have to...

Thanks

I know this has been inactive for a while, but I thought a little update was in order since several people tried to help me out. Thank you all, but unless you have a copy of the file I need & I know for a fact it's the true version, there's not much you can do to help.

I do believe I have identified the heart of my little, yet ongoing, problem. It would appear that when I reloaded windows, I was missing a vital file called VIAAGP1.SYS, which seems to allow windows, BIOS & Direct X to reconise my video card. I know the card itself is fine, having put it in another computer & testing it out. I attempted to fix mine the same way we got it working on the other one, updating the drivers in Driver Manager, only to find I didn't have the option at all. I reloaded Windows again, only for it to ask for a file called VIAAGP1.SYS, which I must have accidentally skipped through last time. I've searched every CD I got with my computer, but I can't find that file anywhere. I guess all I can do is try to locate a version of it from a very reliable source.

Again, thanks to all who tried to help me out with this problem. I hope to have my computer back up to speed soon, sine I know what I really need.

Thankyou all again.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Aite looks like the problem is partly solved. But if anyone knows where Daniel can find that file go ahead and please PM him the source.

I'm going to close this since this is inactive.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Closed Thread