+ Reply to Thread

Thread: McAfee AntiSpyware & SecurityCenter removals

Otaku ghosthorse may be famous one day ghosthorse may be famous one day ghosthorse's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation McAfee AntiSpyware & SecurityCenter removals

Ok, I've had this problem for a while, and even my tech genious big bro couldn't help me (over the phone). So I'd be eternally gratefull for anyone's advice that would actually help me. My problem is when I got my computer, I got the free trial for McAfee AntiSpyware & SecurityCenter before I knew what I was doing(stupid me), but now that I have better spyware and antivirus programs, and the free trial's over, I can't get it out of my computer, and it keeps on interrupting me, trying to get me to sign up permanently. I've tried Add/Remove, but that doesn't work.
    So, is anyone brave enough to try this one? Again, I'd appreciate some advice that gets me somewhere. Please don't get my hopes up by posting, and only saying you don't know. I need help, not trash. Thanks.
    Treat me like an angel, and I'll be your little devil.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: McAfee AntiSpyware & SecurityCenter removals

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthorse View Post
    Ok, I've had this problem for a while, and even my tech genious big bro couldn't help me (over the phone). So I'd be eternally gratefull for anyone's advice that would actually help me. My problem is when I got my computer, I got the free trial for McAfee AntiSpyware & SecurityCenter before I knew what I was doing(stupid me), but now that I have better spyware and antivirus programs, and the free trial's over, I can't get it out of my computer, and it keeps on interrupting me, trying to get me to sign up permanently. I've tried Add/Remove, but that doesn't work.
    So, is anyone brave enough to try this one? Again, I'd appreciate some advice that gets me somewhere. Please don't get my hopes up by posting, and only saying you don't know. I need help, not trash. Thanks.
    The problem with most anti-virus software is that they dig in so deep into your file system that they can be somewhat of a pain to remove in total. YOu may end up removing the main program, but sub programs or program files, dlls, etc. on your drive.

The newer, standard McAfee and Norton both suck, and are horrendous resource hogs. One of the first things I did with my recent laptop was to remove and erase the McAfee trial package.

Make sure you haven't pass coded the higher functions in your program. If so, you may have to set the system preference to "no password". Under normal operation, that prevents outsiders from changing your system preferences in order to allow things like untrusted exe execution or port openings, or in some instances deleting parts or the entire program. Next, you need to make sure that you get the entire program deleted. If you did any updates on your trial version, you might have unknowingly installed other components to your anti-virus that do not come in the factory installation. When you "add/remove", make sure every instance of McAfee is removed, not just the anti-virus. The agent that pops up reminders of trial renewal might not be coming from the standard anti-virus.

Otherwise, the only other way to do it is to delete it from the registry, which if you are uncertain about it at all, don't

Otaku ghosthorse may be famous one day ghosthorse may be famous one day ghosthorse's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for the help! I was beginning to lose hope that ANYONE would help me, and here know1 has! ^_^
    I'll see if that works. I only hope I don't screw it up any more than I have.
    Treat me like an angel, and I'll be your little devil.

Newbie Xephur may be famous one day Xephur may be famous one day Xephur's Avatar
    Thanks

You can actually just clean out your computer using a windows 98,200, xp drivers restore. I had the same problem as u but it worked for me.

"All art is born of suffering"

+ Reply to Thread