+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mega hertz (Pentium II / 1st generation Athlon system)

Newbie theedge182 may be famous one day theedge182 may be famous one day
    Thanks

mega hertz (Pentium II / 1st generation Athlon system)

so where can i get a chip prossesor( not one that is square but it plugs in and is like a game cartige)? also i would like to know how to make it faster now i have 500mgh, 256 Ram, 40 gig hardrive. and not alot of games on it. how do i make it go faster

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: mega hertz

You can't make a processor go faster, you have to get a new motherboard. Which takes expert knowledge.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

If your talking about the CPU card form factor (Slot 1, Slot 2 for Intel Pentium II, Slot A for AMD 1st generation Athlon), they stopped making them years ago (in the last Century...) And with a system that old, the Power Supply won't support a motherboard transplant for something more modern.... If you want to make it go faster, then it's time to go shopping for a new computer system...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

If your talking about the CPU card form factor (Slot 1, Slot 2 for Intel Pentium II, Slot A for AMD 1st generation Athlon), they stopped making them years ago (in the last Century...) And with a system that old, the Power Supply won't support a motherboard transplant for something more modern.... If you want to make it go faster, then it's time to go shopping for a new computer system...

Even if you could actually find a processor/motherboard for sale that would work with that machine, you'd probably spend much more then it's worth to get it 'up to speed'. Len's right. It's time to shop for a new computer. If you can't afford a new computer, check out your local thrift stores. They sometimes get P3/P4 computers in. I got a celron 1.7 gig with 40 gig HD and 256 Ram for $15. That would be a lot less then buying a supported P2 processor chip from some online company.

Or see if you can hit up a family member for their old machine when they upgrade. You can get some great computers that way.

But there is NO WAY i'd acutally pay money to try to upgrade a P2 as far as it would go. You'd be throwing away money that you could use to just get a much more powerful machine.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: mega hertz (Pentium II / 1st generation Athlon system)

Google is your friend. First hit on search string "Overclocking a p2":
    Overclocking

Apparently, first gen Celeron chips could be overclocked to around 80% performance increase. But, like everyone said, although the overclocking itself wouldn't cost you anything, the increased power demand and cooling requirements would get costly--not to mention that a p2/celeron1 chip era computer wouldn't have a good enough graphics card to properly support newer games. Definitly not the most recent ones. My old 2.54 P4, 1gig ram & Geforce 6200 (256mb) barely handled Oblivion.

Anyway, if you get a new computer, overclocking your old one would be an interesting experiment.

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think the best thing you can do is get a new computer, aspesely when you are using it for gaming.
    A Pentium II just isnt able to keep up anymore, the best processor for gaming at the moment is AMD Duel core 2X 4200+ and the best video cards are Geforce 8800 GTS.
    But a AMD 64 3500+ processor and a geforce 7900 GT should be enouf at the moment, and it wil cost about 500 Euro,s/ ore 600 dollars.

I am using AMD Sempron 3500 combinned with ATI radeon X1300 and 1024 RAM and it works fine foor normal use butfor gaming the grafic card is a bit to slow it can just keep up whit Oblivion, but i am thinking about upgrading it to 4 GB RAM and AMD Dual core 2X 4200+ processor and a geforce 8800 GTS video card

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

My old 2.54 P4, 1gig ram & Geforce 6200 (256mb) barely handled Oblivion.
    I am using AMD Sempron 3500 combinned with ATI radeon X1300 and 1024 RAM and it works fine foor normal use butfor gaming the grafic card is a bit to slow it can just keep up whit Oblivion
    These are rocking machines! And this is the whole reason I'm getting a PS3. Yeah, it may be $600 but it know it's the only $600 i'll be spending for the next few years. Not saying PC gaming is bad...but I'm not willing to toss a perfectly good PC just to play a single game.

But if you fellows are cashing out these machines, you can send them to me! I'll be happy to give them a good home.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    These are rocking machines! And this is the whole reason I'm getting a PS3. Yeah, it may be $600 but it know it's the only $600 i'll be spending for the next few years. Not saying PC gaming is bad...but I'm not willing to toss a perfectly good PC just to play a single game.

But if you fellows are cashing out these machines, you can send them to me! I'll be happy to give them a good home.
    lol. I agree that these are hardly outdated machines, however, the PC gaming industry has pushed technology and prices far higher and at a faster rate than any other facet of personal computing. For graphics work, web development and everyday computing (web surfing), these are more than adequate. For gaming and 3d work....let just say that these aint no PS3 or Alienware workstations.

But now that the PS3s, Xbox360s and Wiis can go online, and some can be fit with Linux, there really isn't much difference between computers and game consoles. Just have to figure which one you are going to do more of: gaming or work.

My old P4 went to my girlfriend, who can now type her research papers at blistering speeds in Word.....actually, this computer is way overkill for what she needs, but she does like how fast everything "pops open" compared to her PII.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast