+ Reply to Thread

Thread: memory

Otaku Reaper66 may be famous one day Reaper66 may be famous one day Reaper66's Avatar
    Thanks

memory

I have a few questions, some of them might be kinda dumb but spare with me
    1.whats vitual memory (is it temporary memory can it be deleted?)(is there a setting for how much your comp uses,or is it physical memory?)
    2.whats an executable jar file(can it be deleted?)(the file is for limewire)
    3.in the task manager it says in the processes that I could close just that process or a tree process (whats a tree of processes) (is that everything that goes along with with that process (limwire)(program I'm completely trying to get rid of)should I stop the tree or just that one process(limewire.exe)?
    (-)4(|< 7(-)3 P14|\|37

Otaku Tavrail may be famous one day Tavrail may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: memory

1. Virtual memory is like your comps short term memory.Its can remember things for a small ammount of time and is often cleared by your comp...but some things use much more then most and some settings make your computer use more.The best way to explain it is to imagine you are playing a game(a shooter is the best example).The level you are on now will the in the short term memory.When you leave this one to go to another one the next one is loaded into the memory.Things like blood splatter are saved onto this aswell.512 megs of virtual memory is pretty much the minium for running any new games now but the more the merrier.If possable get or have 2 or more gigs of it as you will notice it in your computers performance.You buy it in sticks which are insered into your comp(the inside on it by opening it up).Some Motherboards can only have so much on board memory so its important to find out aboot things like that before upgrading or anything like that.

2. Im really not sure tbh...

3. same as two im afraid.

I hope i help at least with number one.If anything is unclear or wrong please feel feel to correct meh

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

To the OP:
    I think that you didn't state the original problem and instead you try to understand some article that is supposed to solve it. I don't think you really need to know what virtual memory is if you need to get rid of some virus you downloaded via P2P, for example.
    Virtual memory is 2 GB (can be switched to 3 GB, but most executables aren't compiled to use it anyway). Windows will offer both the physical memory and some disk space to the application so that it has those 2 GB of "RAM" for it's needs. The trick is that while the app thinks that there is a continuous 2 GB of memory, the reality is more complex, alleviating the memory management off the app to the OS.
    It is relevant to hard system programmers. All you need to know is that if you pay more for the RAM, your system will run faster.
    The JAR file is a supposedly "platform-independent" ZIP pack of precompiled JAVA code that needs JRE to run. The quotation marks mean that the only independent thing is a command-prompt style and if the application should do something more, you may run into problems.
    In the Task manager, just use the first option, End task. The tree thing is supposed to track down all the processes that were run by this particular process, which can, however, have bad side effects if you do this to Explorer.exe for example.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Virtual Memory is a page file (think of it as a hidden system folder that acts like RAM). You can allocate as much as you want for it (limited by your drive size(s)), but it has a default minimum of 2Mb for Windows XP. Ultimately, hard drives are not as fast as RAM is, so using page filing (virtual memory) is slower than RAM. You can get more RAM to use less page filing, but you can not completely rely on RAM alone. Your computer should have a suggestion for the page file amount.

+ Reply to Thread