+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mkv To Avi

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Mkv To Avi

dose anyone know a good converter that they use and can recomend for me to use for a mkv into a avi? Not to be rude but im not going to try any codex or player. I literaly give up trying every codex and player there is and i still have problem.
    Barbecued,bake,fryed,every sort of sauce as well as bread of dog.......No mater what it always tastes like chicken. Any ideas oh how to change this?

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mkv To Avi

VirtualDubMod.

It's quite a long process to do it though. It works on both OGM and MKV. But before you convert, if you want to keep the sound, you need to download Lame MP3. It's necessary if you want to keep the sound and also it's a good thing to have both the DivX and the XviD codecs downloaded onto your computer. The two will be necessary later.

--AUDIO--
    (1) Upload video file onto VDM.
    (2) (If you don't care for sound, just skip to step 7) Look at {Streams} and then {Stream List}. Look for the English audio stream or whichever you want.
    (3) Right-click the stream and choose {Full Processing Mode}.
    (4) Right-click again and choose {Compression} and select {Lame MP3} from the list.
    (5) Then click on {Save WAV} on the right side of the Stream List.
    (6) Don't worry about the whole WAV thing and just add a ".mp3" at the end. It'll turn it into an MP3 file.
    --VIDEO--
    (7) With that done, go to {File} and choose {Save As...}
    (8) At the bottom next to "Compression", select {Change} and choose either DivX or XviD from the list.
    (9) Title your file name whichever and then click {Save}.
    --PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER--
    (10) Now your new converted video file will most likely not have sound. If it does, you can skip all of this. Open the file onto VDB.
    (11) Go to {Streams} and look at the {Stream List}.
    (12) Simply {Add} the MP3 file that has all the audio data onto the Stream List. Make sure the stream is set at "Full processing mode".
    (13) Go to {File}.
    (14) Go to {Save As...}.
    (15) Make sure the Compression setting is either at the XviD or DivX codecs, and then just save it.
    (^^) Congratulations. You now have a working complete AVI file that Windows Movie Maker supports.

This is good if you don't like subtitles. Just download a MKV or OGM with dual-language encoding and keep the English audio.

I know you can actually turn off the subtitle file if it's not a hardsub via the stream list on an OGM file, but I don't know if you can do it on an MKV. Never tried it.

Well, I just wanted to pass some knowledge to a fellow AMV maker.
    I love my girlfriend.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

if you're having trouble playing MKV files, try downloading the Combined Community Codec Pack

Plays abso-freaking-lutly every video format on the web (With the exception of Real media)

Thanx Innerhell, always wondered how to do this, Now I can convert them to Playable DVD files

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Innerhell View Post
    VirtualDubMod.

It's quite a long process to do it though. It works on both OGM and MKV. But before you convert, if you want to keep the sound, you need to download Lame MP3. It's necessary if you want to keep the sound and also it's a good thing to have both the DivX and the XviD codecs downloaded onto your computer. The two will be necessary later.

--AUDIO--
    (1) Upload video file onto VDM.
    (2) (If you don't care for sound, just skip to step 7) Look at {Streams} and then {Stream List}. Look for the English audio stream or whichever you want.
    (3) Right-click the stream and choose {Full Processing Mode}.
    (4) Right-click again and choose {Compression} and select {Lame MP3} from the list.
    (5) Then click on {Save WAV} on the right side of the Stream List.
    (6) Don't worry about the whole WAV thing and just add a ".mp3" at the end. It'll turn it into an MP3 file.
    --VIDEO--
    (7) With that done, go to {File} and choose {Save As...}
    (8) At the bottom next to "Compression", select {Change} and choose either DivX or XviD from the list.
    (9) Title your file name whichever and then click {Save}.
    --PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER--
    (10) Now your new converted video file will most likely not have sound. If it does, you can skip all of this. Open the file onto VDB.
    (11) Go to {Streams} and look at the {Stream List}.
    (12) Simply {Add} the MP3 file that has all the audio data onto the Stream List. Make sure the stream is set at "Full processing mode".
    (13) Go to {File}.
    (14) Go to {Save As...}.
    (15) Make sure the Compression setting is either at the XviD or DivX codecs, and then just save it.
    (^^) Congratulations. You now have a working complete AVI file that Windows Movie Maker supports.

This is good if you don't like subtitles. Just download a MKV or OGM with dual-language encoding and keep the English audio.

I know you can actually turn off the subtitle file if it's not a hardsub via the stream list on an OGM file, but I don't know if you can do it on an MKV. Never tried it.

Well, I just wanted to pass some knowledge to a fellow AMV maker.

Just a few questions.
    1) what is Lame MP, VDM and VirtualDubMod?
    2) is theere any program you could recomend? just want to convert my file not stream it.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    if you're having trouble playing MKV files, try downloading the Combined Community Codec Pack

Plays abso-freaking-lutly every video format on the web (With the exception of Real media)

Thanx Innerhell, always wondered how to do this, Now I can convert them to Playable DVD files

Not to be rude but i tryed and failled. Not trying again. its ithere its going to be converted or nothing. i quit trying every codex. Not going to try any more.
    Barbecued,bake,fryed,every sort of sauce as well as bread of dog.......No mater what it always tastes like chicken. Any ideas oh how to change this?

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua001 View Post
    Just a few questions.
    1) what is Lame MP, VDM and VirtualDubMod?
    2) is theere any program you could recomend? just want to convert my file not stream it.
    Lame MP3 is basically just a codec that will allow you to save the audio file in MP3 format in VideoDubMod.

VDM and VirtualDubMod are the same thing. Heh, I got lazy.

And VideoDubMod converts the file. It doesn't stream it. The Stream List pertains to the audio streams attached to the file itself. Such streams include the occasional English and Japanese as well as the Subtitles themselves.

VideoDubMod is as of yet the best free program to convert MKV/OGM files.

I love my girlfriend.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I just installed VDM, and while it is the best free converting program, it still has its limits, for instance, it balks when it tries to handle Variable bit rate MKV/OGM files.

And from their explaination for this, they have no intention of rectifying this in the near future.

As for the CCCP not working on your computer, then the problems with your system, not the codec pack itself, cause in all the computers I've installed it on (I build computers for friends at work), its ALWAYS worked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Innerhell View Post
    Lame MP3 is basically just a codec that will allow you to save the audio file in MP3 format in VideoDubMod.

VDM and VirtualDubMod are the same thing. Heh, I got lazy.

And VideoDubMod converts the file. It doesn't stream it. The Stream List pertains to the audio streams attached to the file itself. Such streams include the occasional English and Japanese as well as the Subtitles themselves.

VideoDubMod is as of yet the best free program to convert MKV/OGM files.

I rted the program and it didnt work. do you know any othere?

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I just installed VDM, and while it is the best free converting program, it still has its limits, for instance, it balks when it tries to handle Variable bit rate MKV/OGM files.

And from their explaination for this, they have no intention of rectifying this in the near future.

As for the CCCP not working on your computer, then the problems with your system, not the codec pack itself, cause in all the computers I've installed it on (I build computers for friends at work), its ALWAYS worked.
    Thats nice but it dosnt fix anything. Besides bashing VDM or just totaly ignoring my posts about codexes. Can you recomend anything?
    Last edited by Joshua001; Nov 02, 2006 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua001 View Post
    I rted the program and it didnt work. do you know any othere?

Thats nice but it dosnt fix anything. Besides bashing VDM or just totaly ignoring my posts about codexes. Can you recomend anything?

Never once did I bash VDM, I only pointed out its limitations, which the program itself tells you when you first start it up.

as for the codec packs, have you tried VLC player? VLC media player - Overview

The playback problem might be in your system configuration. the CCCP works best when you don't have any other codecs installed, which is why its the first codec (And only) pack I install. If you have any other codec/codec packs installed, it may be causing conflicts. The "CCCP Insurgent" download from their site can help detect any other conflicting codecs on your system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast