+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mugen

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Mugen

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M.U.G.E.N's default motif. Many different looks are possible for the engine.M.U.G.E.N is a freeware 2D fighting game engine designed by Elecbyte, written in C with the Allegro library. The engine was originally released in July 17, 1999. Beta versions of it were made to work on DOS, Linux and Windows platforms, distributed through their website or to donors via email. With the release of the Linux version, support for DOS ceased.

The engine allows anyone to create characters, background stages and other game objects through interpreted text files, graphics, and sound compilations. It supports various types of audio formats such as MP3 and MIDI initially, although it can be configured to play various audio formats via Winamp plugins, such as ADX and OGG, as background music during gameplay or at other points such as an introduction or the select screen. The engine allows for most of the same type of functionality found in most any commercial 2D fighting games, up to and including close recreation of those games' characters and gameplay. While the engine is set up primarily for fighting game development, several other game types have been developed using it, including shooter and platformer style games.
    That being said, I downloaded it a week ago. I played around with it a bit on my friends PC and then downloaded it at home. I know how to use it--for the most part--and it's pretty simple to operate. My question is: Where can I go to get some good characters? Or, maybe somebody knows how to create characters, or can direct me to a decent tutorial? I've got about twenty characters right now, I'm tryin' to fill about sixty slots. I even want characters of my own within the game.

Does anyone have any experience with MUGEN?

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mugen

the place to find characters was by torrent. A lot of Mugen sites have missing characters or incomplete ones. Its almost impossible to find an original version of Mugen. Most sites haven't been updated in 4 years or more. So far torrents are the best way to go for characters. They way most characters are made is through cracking open a real game like Street Fighter or King of Fighters and extracting the characters. Most versions of Mugen used to come with the modifying tools. Its how Angel Ryu and Evil Ken were made. I used to have 800+ but with the introduction of god characters it gets pointless. You can turn any character into a perfect one with just a few minor changes.

After a few months Mugen became a space wasting program in my book.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solking View Post
    After a few months Mugen became a space wasting program in my book.

Really? Ya think so? Which version did you run? The original DOS Mugen or Winmugen? I've got Winmugen and it rocks my socks! I'm workin' on creating my very own crossover game, and I'm actually makin' some progress. The great thing about mugen is that you don't have to install jack, so you can burn your game to a disc and play it on any PC once you're finished with all the editing steps. I even got a few sprite ripping tools and character creation tools with the program.

I tried to download some characters via torrent, but even most of those links are dead. It's too bad that most people chose to discontinue their support for Mugen because all the good Mugen games that are still popular can only be downloaded from Asian websites. I wanted to get KOF Zillion, but it's only downloadable from MugenChina.com (or was it .net?) and I can't read Chinese, LOL.

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

I had Winmugen and it wasn't bad because of the gameplay. It was the characters that they had. SS4 Broly couldn't be damaged. Shin Gouki killed people with a 237 hit combo. Angel Ryu could only be defeated by Evil Ken or Holy Ken. After awhile there was no purpose for any other characters. I had the Marvel characters mixed in with DBZ characters and Bleach characters but DBZ was superior. Then SF and KOF was beyond DBZ. Hell I could never beat Evil Chun-Li. It was so much you loss the will to play or even watch. Its not even a game anymore. I guess I just prefer equal game where there is always a chance of me loosing.

Thanks

I had Winmugen and it wasn't bad because of the gameplay. It was the characters that they had. SS4 Broly couldn't be damaged. Shin Gouki killed people with a 237 hit combo. Angel Ryu could only be defeated by Evil Ken or Holy Ken. After awhile there was no purpose for any other characters. I had the Marvel characters mixed in with DBZ characters and Bleach characters but DBZ was superior. Then SF and KOF was beyond DBZ. Hell I could never beat Evil Chun-Li. It was so much you loss the will to play or even watch. Its not even a game anymore. I guess I just prefer equal game where there is always a chance of me loosing.
    That's understandable. I completely agree with your outlook on most of those massively tweaked characters. I mean, they've gone completely out of hand! I had to delete over half of the characters that I found, because they were just either too powerful or only came as AI characters (non-playable). I'm only trying to find characters that are ripped from the game with no major editing done (save a few extra color pallettes). Sooner or later, I'll quit being lazy and just make my own, but I don't really have time for that.

At any rate, Mugen's pretty cool; so long as Ken and Ryu aren't smokin' crack and watching Akuma and Chun-Li shoot steriods. LMAO.

You interested in testin' my game once I've made a bit more progress?

Thanks

One thing I recommend is getting is a controller for your PC. Playing with a keyboard doesn't do the game justice. Maybe I'll try it again someday. I'm very occupied with other games now and I have to fix my PSP.

FYI: They have Mugen for PSP but it only works with the 1.5 firmware. It really sucks though since it only has slots for 8 characters and it was very difficult adding characters. I never figured it out.

Thanks

One thing I recommend is getting is a controller for your PC. Playing with a keyboard doesn't do the game justice. Maybe I'll try it again someday. I'm very occupied with other games now and I have to fix my PSP.

FYI: They have Mugen for PSP but it only works with the 1.5 firmware. It really sucks though since it only has slots for 8 characters and it was very difficult adding characters. I never figured it out.
    MUGEN FOR PSP??? Once I get my PSP slim, the other's becoming a homebrew system anyway, so that just might work out. But only eight character slots? There's gotta be a way around that.

I don't mind playing on the keyboard, some of the moves are quite difficult on the keyboard, but not impossible. I play with a USB controller at my friend's house and I plan on getting my own this weekend, so that'll be outta the way soon. Now all I need to worry about is actually getting my screen pack to work. I found a whole bunch of characters from Guilty Gear and Third Strike (and they're not on crack either!! LOL) so I just may have my crossover game sooner than I think.

Thanks

PSP slims are just as easy to crack. I tried to increase the slots but it was hard since the files are different than the regular Mugen files. I added characters the way your supposed to and none of them showed. If you want make playing on a keyboard easier just set one special move per button. Thats how those insane combos are done that you can find on youtube.

Also if you have two monitors you can set it up so that instead of the regular background scrolling it will be one long screen and the fighters walk from one to another. I did this once at my cousin's house. Highly entertaining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast