+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE

It works in the 64bit verseion flawlessly, but the caveat is that it works flawlessly ONLY IN 32BIT APPLICATIONS. As an example, Windows Media Player is a 32 bit application (in both the 32 & 64 bit versions of Vista Home Premium), however, the in the 64 bit Vista, Windows Media Center (with the integrated TV /Movie Player) is 64 bit, and refuses to use the ffdshow codec... (I've learned this the hard way...)
    when it comes to media players, it shouldn't really matter if you're running in 32bit or 64 bit, they'll run fine anyways.

And you shouldn't be using WMP anyways, Media Player Classic all the way.

Otaku Lenne may be famous one day Lenne may be famous one day Lenne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    when it comes to media players, it shouldn't really matter if you're running in 32bit or 64 bit, they'll run fine anyways.

And you shouldn't be using WMP anyways, Media Player Classic all the way.
    there is zoom player and VLC too!

and you are right the CCC works great with my Vista ultimate 64bit!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

But the 64 Bit driver issue isn't limited to just CODEC issues. As another example, try finding drivers for legacy hardware. The 64 Bit drivers that Creative Labs posted for their Modem Blaster were designed for 64 Bit XP, and are incompatible with Vista (which moved most of the driver functions OUTSIDE the Vista Kernel, to prevent buggy drivers from causing the infamous 'Blue Screen of Death'...) And HP announced last year that they will only be releasing 64 Bit drivers for current printers, and not for discontinued 'legacy' printer models...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Yeah I notice there is a lot of crap on Vista 64bit that doesn't like to work..

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Remagine View Post
    Why are you running a single 8800gt as vidcard? you have a sli mobo and considering the amount of cash you put into it why arent you running two cards? or perhaps yer waiting for the 9-series?
    I was under the impression that running sli would prohibit use of dual monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The additional RAM can make a difference, (as Microsoft Vista can use it for additional file/disk caching...) But any ram over 3.2GB is only usable with the 64bit version of Vista... (which still has known problems finding 64bit drivers and media codecs for....)
    The OP noted Vista 64 already. I was just making the observation that most users will never need 4gigs of ram, let alone 8. But, yes, I agree that more is typically better. The only question is when is "more" just for the sake of saying you have more?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I was under the impression that running sli would prohibit use of dual monitors.

The OP noted Vista 64 already. I was just making the observation that most users will never need 4gigs of ram, let alone 8. But, yes, I agree that more is typically better. The only question is when is "more" just for the sake of saying you have more?

Well my cpu cooler makes it a pain to get near the ram slots its pretty big! I read about it and the reason I chose this one was because it cools the mobo, ram and cpu! The reason I am using 8gb of ram is so it isn't a pain if I want to do it later.. Also since I spent so much already buying the extra RAM wasn't a big deal!

Newbie Remagine is off to a good start Remagine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    -SLI only works on one monitor at a time unless you use a Matrox TripleHead2Go, which splits up one output to three screens. Even still, the maximum resolution is 3840x1024.
    -You can drive up to four displays on two Nvidia cards with SLI disabled.
    -You can use three video cards, run two for SLI, and have a third one (PCIe or PCI) drive two more displays, if you want. In this scenario, you're best off if you use a card that uses different drivers (e.g. ATI) so as to avoid conflicts. This method has given mixed results (some work, some don't).

So it really depends on what you use youre computer for, if you're not satisfied with gaming across a single screen then its a no go. But since you can disable sli through software with a phew clicks.. If you dont mind clicking a phew things off before you start youre game it can be a great benefit, and when clicked back on, you can still use dual-screen for things like photoshop, 3dsmax etc. the only drawback is that one of youre gpu's would be idling when dual screen is on. (by the looks of the photo's the monitors were pretty far apart)

basicly whats more important to him? a home entertainment system or being able to play gpu intensive apps flawlessly?(on a single screen unless you want to spend more extra money)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Remagine View Post
    -SLI only works on one monitor at a time unless you use a Matrox TripleHead2Go, which splits up one output to three screens. Even still, the maximum resolution is 3840x1024.
    -You can drive up to four displays on two Nvidia cards with SLI disabled.
    -You can use three video cards, run two for SLI, and have a third one (PCIe or PCI) drive two more displays, if you want. In this scenario, you're best off if you use a card that uses different drivers (e.g. ATI) so as to avoid conflicts. This method has given mixed results (some work, some don't).

So it really depends on what you use youre computer for, if you're not satisfied with gaming across a single screen then its a no go. But since you can disable sli through software with a phew clicks.. If you dont mind clicking a phew things off before you start youre game it can be a great benefit, and when clicked back on, you can still use dual-screen for things like photoshop, 3dsmax etc. the only drawback is that one of youre gpu's would be idling when dual screen is on. (by the looks of the photo's the monitors were pretty far apart)

basicly whats more important to him? a home entertainment system or being able to play gpu intensive apps flawlessly?(on a single screen unless you want to spend more extra money)
    So I'm guessing that SLI disables the double monitor feature... I guess I'll just have to try and get one 9900 gtx..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast