+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 17 to 21 of 21

Thread: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

  1. #17
    Otaku Kool2bchilln may be famous one day Kool2bchilln may be famous one day Kool2bchilln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    5 minutes past where the church used to be.
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

    gl with vista 64-bit, from what i've only heard, it has trouble using drivers that aren't signed (even rejecting them). Even problems with the drivers that ARE signed.
    And note that problems you have with certain programs are likely to only get updates/fixes for 32-bit
    ect.

    It's just overall better to NOT screw yourself over with the complexities and built-in hard-to-fix screwups, even if you do have the power =//

  2. #18
    Newbie warrchief is off to a good start warrchief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

    If your going to game with that rig, Get Two 8800s to play games on max.

    Oh I see what you did there.

    Isn't much of a buddhist anymore... I can't help eating meat.

  3. #19
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts

    Re: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by warrchief View Post
    If your going to game with that rig, Get Two 8800s to play games on max.
    For most systems, a SLI pair of 880GTX would be a waste of power and $$$. Running at 1080P, you can play all but the bleeding edge graphics games at Max settings. And if you want bleeding edge graphics at that resolution, you'd be better off maximizing your CPU speed, and RAM size & speed first. (And even then, the next generation of graphics cards are only a month or two away, which may be a cheaper performance upgrade route...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

  4. #20
    Newbie warrchief is off to a good start warrchief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    For most systems, a SLI pair of 880GTX would be a waste of power and $$$. Running at 1080P, you can play all but the bleeding edge graphics games at Max settings. And if you want bleeding edge graphics at that resolution, you'd be better off maximizing your CPU speed, and RAM size & speed first. (And even then, the next generation of graphics cards are only a month or two away, which may be a cheaper performance upgrade route...)
    Yeah i agree, but i want the Sharpest graphics, and ill fork the money over for a SLI pair off 8800's. I got all the speed, ram. That i need, and a 42 inch tv to act my screen.

    Oh I see what you did there.

    Isn't much of a buddhist anymore... I can't help eating meat.

  5. #21
    Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    here
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: My PC (first build and not finished Any Suggestions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    For most systems, a SLI pair of 880GTX would be a waste of power and $$$. Running at 1080P, you can play all but the bleeding edge graphics games at Max settings. And if you want bleeding edge graphics at that resolution, you'd be better off maximizing your CPU speed, and RAM size & speed first. (And even then, the next generation of graphics cards are only a month or two away, which may be a cheaper performance upgrade route...)
    That is a tricky road there. What you want to get is relative to what you have. Most systems actually see a better performance increase with a higher end graphics card, but that is assuming that "most systems" contain at least a 2.4-2.6 ghz CPU, min spec. Tom's hardware actually just ran a story on this exact question, and their results did sway towards a graphics card purchase for the best overall performance increase, but only if your rig had at lease a 2.4ghz chip or a overclocked E2160 as a minimum spec. That was, according to their reports, because anything lower could not feed a high end graphics card fast enough--thus becoming a bottleneck. At the same time, they were saying that geforce 6 & 7 series should no longer be in any consideration for gaming (they said that more or less. I'm taking liberties in paraphrasing). In my opinion, anything less than an 8600 is a joke with some of the newer games.

    In any case, there is a lot to be said about properly tuning your rig. I've seen people get great performance out of mid-level components by simply matching 1:1 clock speeds with FSB and ram. Instead of trying to get 1200 ram sticks, just get 800 and match 1:1 FSB @ a lower multiplier on a stock 2.4ghz chip. Just remember to get a good heatsink.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. How To Build A RP Character
    By Xelhes in forum RPG Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 12, 2007, 02:44 PM
  2. build a bridge and get over it
    By princesslady in forum Poems
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul 28, 2007, 08:32 AM
  3. I just finished FF X (Again)
    By Vincent_the_Victorious in forum Spoiler Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug 03, 2006, 03:08 PM
  4. How do you build your web pages?
    By Zui Quan in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Nov 23, 2004, 11:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts